Problems at the Asda roundabout - Wordsworth Avenue

Its not Chav Asda, its Chavsda!!

No There's a Facebook Check in - Chav Asda!! :hihi::hihi:

As opposed to going to CHAP Asda ( Chapeltown ) !!

Edited by satman2222

Yes it is an interesting roundabout - I went all the way round it coming from Lower Grenoside and I ended up in the wrong lane and had to swap.

Edited by satman2222

too much congestion in some roundabouts aswell, e.g centertainment

I have have pointed out this thread to former colleagues at SCC. They were already aware of this issue and are actively discussing potential changes with Asda (who paid for the works) and their consultants who originally designed it.

Excellent news!

I've always been taught to think everyone is a bad driver so to expect people to £&@? up. So I always give everyone loads of room. I know exactly which lane to be in so I find them easy

Please share with us

I see they have been around with the line painters now and changed the design of both roundabouts adding 'chevroned' areas so in the left lane from Chaucer school you can now only go onto Deerlands ave(didn't notice if the floor markings had changed). And on the 2nd roundabout the left lane is now only for left as again they have 'chevroned' straight on off (again not sure if they changed the floor markings).

Why they have to change the roundabouts to a non-standard layout is beyond me the 2nd roundabout is the worst, I seldom see roundabouts where the left entrance is left only and the right is for 3 exits!!

I'm pretty sure (without going and having a look) that the road marking are contradicting these stupid chevroned areas!

Edited by Bonjon

After having a better look the Asda roundabout is Ok, they have removed the store exit and made(coming from the school side) left lane for store and Deerlands, and the right lane for the 2nd lane on Deerlands and the other exits.

However I still think the Deerlands roundabout is stupid, making the left lane from the Asda roundabout left only!!

i always used the left lane after the asda to go straight on to deerlands and was driving there today sand was quite surprised for it to be now left only and think this is just going to cause more accidents

I seldom see roundabouts where the left entrance is left only and the right is for 3 exits!!

Handsworth Road as you drive down past the Asda. The left lane is to turn left (onto the Parkway or into the second Asda carpark entrance), the right lane is for straight on or right at the roundabout.

I don't see a problem if people observe the road markings. If you put yourself in the wrong lane, trying to get out if it and not following the road markings is what causes accidents. Either that or usually not following the highway code for roundabouts!!!!!

I think the second rounabout is better now. My Mum and Nanan live around there so i use both rounabouts regularly. Quite often, i'd be in the left lane to go straight on up Deerlands and the car next to me in the right hand lane would also do the same thing!

I also find that people using the right hand lane to go right don't stay close to the roundabout, they drive in the middle of the road making it only wide enough for one car at a time.

I think the second rounabout is better now. My Mum and Nanan live around there so i use both rounabouts regularly. Quite often, i'd be in the left lane to go straight on up Deerlands and the car next to me in the right hand lane would also do the same thing!

I also find that people using the right hand lane to go right don't stay close to the roundabout, they drive in the middle of the road making it only wide enough for one car at a time.

It will work so long as people don't disregard the road markings, I have already been cut up coming from Chaucer school in the right hand lane(to go straight onto Deerlands right hand lane, to go straight over at the next roundabout), by people using the left outside lane(from the school) to travel around the roundabout(straight over the chevrons) to Wordsworth ave.

The confusion isn't helped because if you approach from Chaucer school side of Wordsworth, the left hand lane has a left turn arrow and a straight on arrow, the right hand lane (which has always been the right turn lane for going down Deerlands past the Parson Cross Hotel lane) has a straight on and a right turn arrow on the floor. So the left hlane arrow should be corrected as you cannot go straight on because of the hatched markings. It screw up the traditional rule of lanes approaching roundabouts.

The confusion isn't helped because if you approach from Chaucer school side of Wordsworth, the left hand lane has a left turn arrow and a straight on arrow, the right hand lane (which has always been the right turn lane for going down Deerlands past the Parson Cross Hotel lane) has a straight on and a right turn arrow on the floor. So the left hlane arrow should be corrected as you cannot go straight on because of the hatched markings. It screw up the traditional rule of lanes approaching roundabouts.

As has been mentioned before, turning left into Deerlands is now classed as straight on. This makes the markings correct as they are!