Should/do your employers allow time off for pet bereavement?

Given the close bonds some people have with their pets – particularly those who live on their own – is allowing fully paid bereavement leave for the death of a pet an acceptable or indulgent practise? Conversely, is denying the time off, or making people take it as unpaid leave, showing a lack of compassion?

I have heard of people who have been too traumatised to attend work after the loss of a dog, but whether this was sanctioned as official bereavement leave is unclear.

What are the forum’s thoughts on the matter?

Yes, i think employers should give leave for pet loss. To many people, having a pet is like having a child and when they die the mourning and grieving can be exactly the same as losing a human companion.

I have an old dog and i know i will be heartbroken to lose her when she dies :(

Every organisation I've worked for does, usually at the manager's discretion. I have used it once, I took a day a couple of months ago when one of my dogs died because I really couldn't face people. I appreciated that my employer understood this and ensured that the work I would have done that day was caught up with in my own time over the next few days.

Edited by libuse

Yes, i think employers should give leave for pet loss. To many people, having a pet is like having a child and when they die the mourning and grieving can be exactly the same as losing a human companion.

I have an old dog and i know i will be heartbroken to lose her when she dies :(

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous post I have ever read.

The loss of a child can in no way be compared to the loss of a pet.

Having lost pet dogs myself I readily admit it is sad and upsetting and I do not want to diminish that. But, and it is a big but, you expect to lose pets. They have a shorter lifespan than humans and in all probability they will die before you. Mentally you can and do deal with that. We prepare ourselves that one day our parents will die in much the same way. The odds are they will die before you.

'How do you know'? I can hear people saying.

Well I have, as stated, lost pets and I have also lost a child and I can assure you that the absolute desolation, despair and pain of losing a child never, ever, leave you.

Time is not a great healer, a phrase oft banded about, there is a you before and a you after. You are forever changed.

Should you be allowed time off for the death of a pet?, I have no problem with that but comparisons made when you have no experience of both events

are not valid.

Edited by dismay

Having lost pet dogs myself I readily admit it is sad and upsetting and I do not want to diminish that. But, and it is a big but, you expect to lose pets. They have a shorter lifespan than humans and in all probability they will die before you. Mentally you can and do deal with that. We prepare ourselves that one day our parents will die in much the same way. The odds are they will die before you.

Well I have, as stated, lost pets and I have also lost a child and I can assure you that the absolute desolation, despair and pain of losing a child never, ever, leave you.

Time is not a great healer, a phrase oft banded about, there is a you before and a you after. You are forever changed.

Should you be allowed time off for the death of a pet?, I have no problem with that but comparisons made when you have no experience of both events

are not valid.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I have never experienced the loss of a child and sincerely hope never to, but I agree entirely with your post. I know people who have tragically, lost children, and as you say, you are forever changed. Losing a pet is sad but it is not by any stretch of the imagination, tragic.

Firstly, there's no need to belittle someone else's opinion because you don't agree.

Second, just because they're not the same for you does not mean that's the case for everyone. Some people love their pets just as furiously as they would a child.

I'll mitigate that by saying that losing a child you gave birth to is undoubtedly the most painful experience there is and I don't think any emotion can cut as deep as that...

Being a dog owner, it'd be lovely if companies could accomodate.. I know I'll be devastated for days, when one of my dogs passes away..

However I'm not sure it's really viable for companies to offer extra 'compassionate leave' like they often do for the death of a close relative, it would be too easy to abuse.

I do however think if somebody wishes to use their own holiday entitlement, or take unpaid leave in those situations then every effort should be made to give an employee that opportunity.

From the business-end point of view in all likelyhood then it'll probably be in the best interests of the company if the employee wasn't at work. They're most likely not going to be thinking straight (and a potential liability), unproductive and a disturbance to other staff members.

Firstly, there's no need to belittle someone else's opinion because you don't agree.

Second, just because they're not the same for you does not mean that's the case for everyone. Some people love their pets just as furiously as they would a child.

I'll mitigate that by saying that losing a child you gave birth to is undoubtedly the most painful experience there is and I don't think any emotion can cut as deep as that...

My intent was not to belittle anyone. I was merely stating that in my 'informed' opinion 'I' considered it to be a ridiculous post based on its assumptions and comparisons.

A case in point, your comparison 'Some people love their pets just as furiously as they would a child.'

I note that you use the word 'would' rather than 'do'.

Also 'I'll mitigate that by saying that losing a child you gave birth to is undoubtedly the most painful experience there is and I don't think any emotion can cut as deep as that...'

What about a father then, how does he fit into this or what about adoptive parents.?

In the last five years meeting and counselling bereaved parents who have and are going through what I have makes me informed.

I will repeat what I said in relation to the original post.

Should you be allowed time off for the death of a pet?, I have no problem with that......

are not valid.

You know nothing about how someone else would feel if they lost a pet-absolutely nothing!

You know nothing about how someone else would feel if they lost a pet-absolutely nothing!

Like I stated I have lost pet dogs, 2 over a 30 year period. Both loved members of the family and it was sad when they passed of old age.

So I do, I absolutely do. :huh: