Is it ok to kill a newborn?

Some people seem to think it is

Francesca Minerva, a philosopher and medical ethicist, argues a young baby is not a real person and so killing it in the first days after birth is little different to aborting it in the womb.

Even a healthy baby could have its life snuffed out if the mother decides she can’t afford to look after it, the article published by the British Medical Journal group states

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108433/Doctors-right-kill-unwanted-disabled-babies-birth-real-person-claims-Oxford-academic.html

:(

Edited by MrMoran
typo

Some doctors seem to think it is

She's not one of those doctors.

Dr Francesca Minerva

Research Associate

McKenzie Fellow, CAPPE, University of Melbourne

My main area of research is practical ethics (medical ethics, the ethics of genetics, human enhancement, new form of reproduction, conflicts between secular and religious ethics).

I graduated in Philosophy (summa cum laude) from the University of Pisa and obtained a PhD in “Law, New Technologies and Bioethics” from the University of Bologna in 2010. In June 2011 I started a post-doc at the University of Melbourne, at CAPPE (McKenzie Fellowship). My PhD thesis focused on the topic of conscientious objection in medicine. In general, I am interested in analysing the possible problems that can arise in the medical context when patients and doctors with different moral and religious values have to take important decisions about therapies needed.

She's a philosopher and an academic. As such it's a perfectly reasonable matter to explore ( and develop a personal opinion on if you so wish)

She's a philosopher and an academic. As such it's a perfectly reasonable matter to explore ( and develop a personal opinion on if you so wish)

Simple typo, i meant to say people but was reading something at the same time.

Im not a women and cant multitask :(

Edited :)

She's a philosopher and an academic.

Philosophical debate, Mail reader. Put both together and what do you get?

Some doctors people seem to think it is

Simple typo, i meant to say people but was reading something at the same time.

We believe you. :roll:

I had to find her profile from the Google cache. It looks like the university has locked it down. We can all hazard a guess as to why.

It's a terrible shame that we can't have grown up conversations about these issues without the worry.

If you accept that sometimes it is okay to kill a living adult human being, then why is it wrong to kill a baby?

This is just for the sake of argument aswell, before I get "baby killer" fired at me.

Its never ok to kill another human being so in my book its never going to be ok to murder a baby.

Simple :)