Sudden spate of street crime in Crookes/Walkley area

One of my friends was violently mugged near the top of Heavygate Road (Northfield Rd end) and I've heard of 4 other muggings in the area in the past 2 weeks.

I've also seen a car broken into on Heavygate Rd, with broken glass everywhere. There has also been a massive increase in graffiti with 'S6' (which I can only assume is a gang?) being scrawled on bus stops near the S10/S6 border and also on the outside of several houses.

Is Crookes turning into a ghetto/an area of gang attacks?

By the sounds of your thread it isnt Walkley or Crookes that is the problem it is Heavygate Rd.

Also the grafiti (S6) has been done for years from kids messing about, Not by the Maffia clming territory in Crookes/Walkley.

Dont worrie OSCARTHECAT9 there wont be any mass gang wars anytime soon (i think)

Heavygate Rd is in Crookes/Walkley is it not?

I wasn't aware about the graffiti dating back years, I've only just moved to Crookes.

And I'm not trying to predict some sort of gang war? The aim of this thread was to find out if anyone else on SF has had similar experiences in the area recently, and if anyone has seen any suspicious activity.

Heavygate is in walkley, my point was that these incident's seem to be happening on this road.

There isnt any sort of 'gang' in walkley/crooks, there is just a minor majority off kids (14-17 years old) mucking about with graffiti, not mugging people.

Also sorry to here that your freind got mugged but the muggers could have been from anywere.

Walkley/crookes has never & will never be a 'gang' area just the odd wanabee gangster

It isn't really a sudden spate either I'm afraid. my motherinlaw was mugged when the last bus strike was on (when was that?) at the top of Western Road. She described her attacker, he was known to the police already and then dealt with. Our next door but one's car was smashed up, but that was by a bus not a vandal!

edit I didn't mean to imply that the area is a hotbed of crime because it isn't. These incidents don't occur that often...

Edited by angrymumtwo
reread what I said

I saw someone mugged on west street in daylight some kid rode up on a bmx and snached this Chinese guys iphone and he tryed to run after them and fell over and his shopping went everywhere i do admit it was quite funny.

You can check here.

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Sheffield,%20South%20Yorkshire%20S10%201PB,%20UK#crimetypes/2011-12

All crime in area is asbo and arson.

The data is a little out of date, it ends in December, but there are no muggings reported; things may have changed recently.

Edited by pippadoll

The police were knocking on doors on and around the Heavygate road area just a few weeks ago warning residents to ensure they lock their doors as there's been a spate of incidents where youths try front doors and if they find one open will just waltz in and take whatever they can. I've also heard of 2 violent muggings in the area, and seen 2 parked cars with smashed windows in as many months. The area doesn't feel particularly unsafe, but I am more cautious if walking about on my own late at night than I was before I'd heard of these incidents.

Student area, students are 'soft targets'. Simples...

Incredibly naive attitude. Unsupported by any evidence whatsoever. Way to go.

Incredibly naive attitude. Unsupported by any evidence whatsoever. Way to go.

No they are. students flash there mobiles about all the time muggers target students