The Most Depressing Place In Sheffield

:thumbsup:

There's your answer adamd. I agree with funky. I have lived in so many areas of Sheffield, and there is absolutely no doubt, that Tinsley was the worst. *shudders*

edit:

I've had a think and I have remembered 1 (one) positive - it was very cheap to rent there. Personally I would rather lose a couple of meals a day and rent somewhere more expensive than move back there.

I don't know where you lived in Tinsley but my Mum and Dad have lived there all their lives and still love it.

Ok, it's got it's bad parts like everywhere else, but where they live is great.

Stream at the bottom of a long garden, quiet and no trouble.

Now the bottom end of Tinsley is a different matter. Gone down hill rapidly in the last 20 years with houses and gardens looking like bomb sites, too many immigrants ruining the area and making it look like 'home'.

I would like to point out that the biggest crime rate areas of Sheffield are No 1 Meadowhall No 2 Fargate,

So the people who you describe as hanging around Castle Market are not the skallywags you presume .

I would rather be somewhere appalling with good people than somewhere fabulous with ten bob millionaires.

That's probably because there's something worth stealing at Meadowhall and Fargate. :hihi:

I noticed in one of the Sunday papers recently that Meadowhall Road had one of the highest crime rates in the country.

Now I've walked down there and never felt unsafe, so my guess would be that car crimes in the car parks at Meadowhall and possibly thefts from the stores in Meadowhall are all attributed to Meadowhall Road.

It's hardly surprising that the crime rate is so high when you consider the footfall (30,000,000?) down there and the fact that the car park holds 12,000cars.

Both Fargate and Meadowhall are a much nicer shopping experience than being down Castle Market with it's dirty buildings and dirty clientele.

Regards

Doom

It's taken the council decades of work and planning to get Sheffields iconic Giro Quarter looking just right. The smell alone has a dedicated team of 10 people to keep the ratios of dog muck, BO, skunk and stale urine in perfect harmony.

Haha - 'Giro Quarter' - excellent.

Can compliment the Devonshire & Cultural Industries Quarters that we also have.

:)

Spital Hill (aka Boot Hill).

Pitsmoor (Spital Hill). Darnall and Firvale. Oh and at the rate things are going the rest of Sheffield will be a **** tip

I thought it was really unfair to pick on Hills Co-Op. I use this most days. It's a safe place to shop with my kids, and the staff are all local and really friendly....(Morven, Heather, Caroline, Claire...take a bow!!) If you want to slag our city off, do as Andy G has done and seek out the underpasses!

I'd have said Tinsley as well. Not all of it, just the terraced houses bit of it closest to the M1.

Why? For me it's just the architecture of the place. An isolated island of tiny identikit terraced red brick houses stained brown/black by the pollution of the M1 with tiny identically dead front gardens, surrounded by industry on three sides and a park on the other that you can't see until you're walking past it.

Narrow streets, narrow pavements, the constant noise of traffic both from the motorway and from the extremely busy roads that surround it. Even when it's sunny it's depressing. On a bad day you also get the stench of the sewage treatment works alongside the Viaduct.

Yep another vote for Tinsley from me. Is there any truth in the rumour that Tinsley is to be twinned with Homs in the near future?

I would also give 'honourable' mentions to Low Edges and Blackstock Road and surrounding areas.

Perhaps the most depressing thing of all is that I can come up with a list of ghastly areas in Sheffield without breaking a mental sweat :(

I'm surprised nobody has said the forum :hihi:

The site of Dyson house is depressing. A prime position, and it lays derelict. The odd rat running about. One of the first things a visitor to Sheffield will see.

Depresssing place?

Bramall lane?

Oh, several others have pointed that out.

What about the Moor then - used to be the prime shopping area of Sheffield with decent stores on it.

Edited by soft ayperth