Using the camera as an artists brush

Hi,

I'm looking for help! I am experimenting with movement and neutral density filters to create ghostlike images without post production manipulation. I've got a few that I like but I want to be able to keep some of the image sharp. Have a look at my website in the 'Galleries - Using the camera as a brush' bit to see what I'm talking about.

I can't afford a tilt shift lens but I want more of a fine art feel than that anyway.

I was wondering if I kept the camera still when focused on the detail I want, whether that would do it, but I can't work out whether to be 'still' at the beginning or the end of the exposure.

What do you think? Any ideas?

http://www.alyjackson.com

No ideas really, I usually just mess around with slow shutter speed and don't worry too much about where I'm focusing it and it works for me.

Use a flash.

Take a long exposure and move the camera around for the ghost-like effect, then have the flash fire at the end of the exposure, which will freeze the bits you want frozen.

I think it's called rear curtain sync, or something like that. There'll be instructions in your DSLR's manual or menus.

Hi,

I'm looking for help! I am experimenting with movement and neutral density filters to create ghostlike images without post production manipulation. I've got a few that I like but I want to be able to keep some of the image sharp. Have a look at my website in the 'Galleries - Using the camera as a brush' bit to see what I'm talking about.

I can't afford a tilt shift lens but I want more of a fine art feel than that anyway.

I was wondering if I kept the camera still when focused on the detail I want, whether that would do it, but I can't work out whether to be 'still' at the beginning or the end of the exposure.

What do you think? Any ideas?

www.alyjackson.com

why not post some of your work on here