How do i go about creating my own website?

Hello, for ages now i have been wanting my own website.

im finally going to do one but i dont know where to start or how much i should be paying, any advice will be much appretiated. thanks Andy

my reason for a website is for customers to see my work and see what i have to offer in the building game.

again many thanks

Edited by joiner andy

I'm doing mine with 123.reg,s website builder, it's £10 a month plus vat.

It's very easy to use ...drag and drop pics and text boxes etc.

Worth a look as you can have a trial period with the software ...good luck with it !

It all depends on your budget as to what you can get for your money.

You get what you pay for, much like anything in life.

Obviously you can't compare a £10 a month rented template site to a custom design site that you own outright which is why you are better off stating your budget and then recommendations can be made.

I can't offer you free or cheap as we only do good quality websites, but if you have at least £400 I can provide you with a quality website that includes everything you need and I will do all the website maintenance and updates for free.

Edited by indizine

you can get a free website with weebly, another drag and drop, very easy to use. loads of tools like contact forms or shopping cart buttons and free hosting etc.

HI,

If you are wanting a free one that you can make your self then have a look here, it s a government funded programme that helps you build your own site and you can chose your own domain too e.g you could prob have http://www.joinerandy.co.uk if it wasn't already taken. If you are short on time like most people i would suggest a simple to use site that's done professionally of which you can update your self weekly or monthly.

Click on my signature to see our website. I designed it with my husband and took my own photos but we got a professional company to type it up and make it happen. They host the website and emails. It depends what you call expensive and what you want your site to do for you. We can update someof our site ourselves. Ours is for a web presence and isn't designed to do much else. I prefer to cold call my customers (by letter and phone) as it works much better that way.

Depends on what you want, if you want to showcase your work then a nice bespoke designed website would be good, indizine above is correct and £400 I would say is a fair price.

I say, you pay for what you get

More importantly is driving traffic to your website. Buy 'SEO For Dummies' and you will learn all you need to know.

Good luck.

It all depends on your budget as to what you can get for your money.

Or you can contact me, explain what you want & I'll tell you how much it'll cost, rather than just asking "how much have you got?".

Or you can contact me, explain what you want & I'll tell you how much it'll cost, rather than just asking "how much have you got?".[/quote

Who is it that asks "how much have you got?"

I hope you didn't mean me as I never ask that question like that as if literally that's how you say it, and as if that's all you are interested in.

I may ask what their budget is to make sure they are in the right financial league based on the type of website they're wanting - i.e. if they say they want a "jobs website" but have also said "but I dont have much money" then you have to get an idea of their budget so you can see what you can provide for the money they do have.

Pointless asking them for what they want when they only have say £300, and you then say, "oh dear, my quote is £1,750 for the spec you have given me", so now you are both back at square one and you may then say, "I can do something on a smaller scale for £850 if that fits your budget, but you wont get xyz features that you want". So you are then going back to what budget they have. You have to ask the question when you feel it would be appropriate to do so.

There is nothing then, to stop them taking your quote (spec and price) and comparing it to others on a like-for-like basis to see if your price is fair.

And also, I find that most people actually don't know what they want, or what is best for achieving their goals. So they may say they wan't a website with a blog and a forum, and if I think that's a waste of time and their money, I will tell them so. I won't take their money and build them "what they want" if what they want actually isn't the best way forward. Most of my clients rely on me to advise on the best way forward with regards what the website should actually consist of.

On the point of stating your budget, a lot of people fear that by mentioning their budget you will make your quote fit their budget e.g. they say they have £650 so he presto your quote just happens to be £625 or £675 and I am sure that can happen but as I say above, you can always go and compare that and see exactly how inflated it is, if at all. But to me, if you don't trust them right at the outset, why bother getting a quote from them at all?

They will find out eventually if you have charged a lot for what it is, when they get wiser and more web-savvy, so all you are doing is losing a potential long-term customer and ruining your reputation.

Edited by indizine

Honestly, web designers will tell you any old s@*t.

For the site you'll need, just use a template, one that is SEO ready. If you want I will tell you all you need to know about this for FREE.

You don't need expensive search functions or algorythms on it, paying someone to develop a site is literally wasting money. They will probably be using off the shelf stuff anyway.

For instance WORDPRESS is free, has free plug-ins, is SEO friendly (with a plug-in which literally SEO's the site for you) and you can get many many different templates. Just pay for your domain (namecheap) and hosting (one.com - one click wordpress hosting) and you are away.

If you are really technophobic you can get all this done for about £200 from elance. I will put you in touch with a cracking wordpress developer, she is great, does better looking sites than any developer on here. In 2 weeks or less.

Trust me put the money into Business development and marketing or taking the missus on holiday rather than a website. At least for the kind you want.

PM me if you need help.

x