Holidays In The 50s!!

Bring out the violins!!!!!

My annual hols in the 1950s were day trips courtesy of Dial House Club, and any others we managed to get tickets for.(cleethorpes/Skeggy etc)

A few bob to spend and a fish and chip tea before the coach brought us back. Me and my brothers enjoyed every minute and have since had many more exotic holidays but we still appreciated our "holidays" in the 50s.

I can remember spending most of the week in agony at Mablethorpe in the late 50's after getting stung in both feet by jellyfish. Made a change from other holidays when I was usually in agony from sunburn. I always was at my happiest on holiday when it rained and we spent the time indoors at the amusement arcades with no risk of sunburn.

One of my earliest holidays as a child was Ingoldmels ( I think this is how you spell it ) near Skegness. We were staying in a caravan park there, and as we drove through the park I said to my mum and dad, look at that funny little caravan it's called Josephine, guess what? that was the caravan where we were staying. It was so small you could not swing a cat, but we made the most of it, went in the sea everyday, I remember it well the sea was the colour of mud in those days but we new no different.

Delboy Melbourne Australia.

Every year without fail we had a holiday as kids back in the 50s,our old boy was a lot older than our mother and as I have told in previous threads was a grumpy old sod!.Saying this we were always looked after he organised transport for us to my mothers favourite holiday spot Bridlington,we stayed on a caravan site on Martyn Road not in a caravan but a converted double decker bus,we loved it all four kids thought it marvellous.Most of the time my mother took us on her own our old boy stayed home to get a little peace and time for himself because it was bedlam in our house most days.We sat on the beach in the same spot year in year out on the North Beach across the road from the amusements and penny slots my favourite hangout as a young Tup,I always remember the juke box playing "Rose Marie" by Slim Whitman.We made friends with a family from Leeds who we met every year for ages,one year their only daughter who was a teenager asked if I would like to take her rowing outside the harbour wall so I said yes.She paid for an hour and we set off with me rowing,well wanderlust took over and I headed towards Flanborough losing track of time,we were miles out and she started roaring her eyes out scared half to death!.Imploring me to head back so I did it took ages,on arriving back the bloke went beserk he charged her for another three hours,he said he was just about to send out the lifeboat for us!.She was blubbering all the way back but to me it was just another adventure to be enjoyed.Happy Days Eh?.:help::hihi:

Holidays! int fifties Tup, Ile bet you even had a telly, Bloody capatalist.:hihi:

My Mum, stepfather, little sister, brother and his girlfriend, my boyfriend and me spent a week in Ingoldmels. Mum insisted on an end kitchen and my boyfriend saw a caravan for rent for the works holidays. Off we set on our motorbikes, Mum and sister in the sidecar, flasks and sandwiches and a bag of boiled sweets under Mums feet, we girls on the back of the bikes. When we got there, the kitchen was at the end, but Mum had to kneel on the bunk bed to cook. As the toilets were at the far end of the site, my stepdad said we females could use the bucket early in the morning, males had to go all the way to the toilets. My brother's girlfriend was using the bucket in the separate grand entrance of about 2x2ft when my boyfriend came back and opened the door so she fell out bucket and all. Was she mad with him, but we had to laugh and it's been one of those 'do you remember stories' ever since.

Cranky boarding house land ladies

Lace curtains

Tea, kippers, Kellogs cornflakes and toast for breakfast

Buckets and spades

Candy striped deck chairs rented for a bob a day

Fish, chips bread and butter for tea

Penny arcades

Saucy postcards

Punch and Judy shows

Candy floss

Trips to Flamborough Head on the old Bridlington Queen

And a train journey back to Sheffield on a steam locomotive.

Lace curtains

Buckets and spades

Penny arcades

Saucy postcards

Punch and Judy shows

Candy floss

Day Trips (Never had a posh holiday)

Getting ticket for "best" day trip, all the club trips were rated

Free tickets for rides and tea.

Race for back seat on't chara

Soggy sandwiches.

Charabang race on the way there - "For he's a jolly good driver..."

Stop halfway for tea at apple orchard.

Big cheer when somebody saw THE SEA, from miles away.

Laughing sailor

Knockout stall

Juke box with all the latest

What the butler saw

Teeth rotting rock and candy floss

"Kiss me quick" hats on girls

Photo scam - Here's ticket, give me a deposit and address and I'll send them.

Bus home always late waiting for stragglers. Exasperated steward.

Can't pick out bus home from hundreds in dozens of parking lots. In the exictement of arriving forgot to look where we were. Relief when you see familiar face.

Looking forward to next year

After carrying around vase all day for mum at home, it gets trod on in bus.

Lace curtains

Buckets and spades

Penny arcades

Saucy postcards

Punch and Judy shows

Candy floss

and............... donkey rides on the beach.

Day Trips (Never had a posh holiday)

Getting ticket for "best" day trip, all the club trips were rated

Free tickets for rides and tea.

Race for back seat on't chara

Soggy sandwiches.

Charabang race on the way there - "For he's a jolly good driver..."

Stop halfway for tea at apple orchard.

Big cheer when somebody saw THE SEA, from miles away.

Laughing sailor

Knockout stall

Juke box with all the latest

What the butler saw

Teeth rotting rock and candy floss

"Kiss me quick" hats on girls

Photo scam - Here's ticket, give me a deposit and address and I'll send them.

Bus home always late waiting for stragglers. Exasperated steward.

Can't pick out bus home from hundreds in dozens of parking lots. In the exictement of arriving forgot to look where we were. Relief when you see familiar face.

Looking forward to next year

After carrying around vase all day for mum at home, it gets trod on in bus.

What about those people with cameras who used to come up and take photos of you. You could buy them later at their kiosk nearby, glossy black and whites.

I still have a couple of me and the family. There I am, hair parted at the side, slicked back with Brycreem and wearing a jacket and tie of all things :loopy: