Smith's Field or Smithies Field near Petre Street

5 sisters no brothers lol

Come on help me out :help:

Come on help me out :help:

"spike"hunsley street

I've just come across this thread and found it most interesting. Smith's field was also my playground in the late 40's and early 50's, especially in winter for the sledging. Smth's field or the proper name Woodhill is an historical site as it was the only access from Attercliffe across the River Don and over to Osgathorpe. The main footpath being Carwood Road. Only recently some firm applied to build on the top of the field along Grimestyhorpe Rd. and the Council knocked it back because Grimesthorpe Road is heritage listed as an old Roman ridge.

I lived at Petre Street post office from 1941 to 1961 which was on the corner of Lyons Street and Petre Street number 160. Wondered if anyone knew the name of the barber whose shop was just down fron Sutherland Rd near a hardware shop, he gave me many a short back and sides in my younger days. On the subject of Mr Scott at the Sutherland Road baths, he was my swimming teacher for about 5 years, from his accent I think he must have come from around Newcastle area. Also the baths attendant "Fred" his name was actually Fred Shaw and lived at the top of Danville St. When he wanted us out of the pool there was nothing worse than being blasted with the high pressure cold water hose or flicked with a wet towel if we gave hime some back chat.

Hello everyone I've just stumbled across this thread, I've been trying to find the name of the cricket club or team that played on the Petre Street ground. I remember watching them as a youngster in the early 50s. I also used to play on Smith's field as a child. Can anyone remember the garage that did motor repairs, I think it was the Sedan Garage on the corner of Grimesthorpe Road and Ellesmere Road? Untill today I had never heard of it being called Woodhill. I remember the big house at the corner of Grimesthorpe Road and Torbay Road, but never knew it had a name.

Edited by DOMMI
name

Hello everyone I've just stumbled across this thread, I've been trying to find the name of the cricket club or team that played on the Petre Street ground. I remember watching them as a youngster in the early 50s. I also used to play on Smith's field as a child. Can anyone remember the garage that did motor repairs, I think it was the Sedan Garage on the corner of Grimesthorpe Road and Ellesmere Road? Untill today I had never heard of it being called Woodhill. I remember the big house at the corner of Grimesthorpe Road and Torbay Road, but never knew it had a name.

I think the club was known simply as Petre Street Cricket Club. As I have mentioned before, I used to drop in at the ground when I was a boy, back in the mid to late 1940s and the team had an all-rounder called Hancock, a man with ginger hair, who was quite the hero at that time. I never did learn any more about him, but I am fairly sure he lived at a shop just up the road from the ground, on P Street. This shop was on a corner, and, in the summer, it always had a team-sheet in the window with a list of players chosen for the next match. I have a feeling that the man Hancock was married to the daughter of the shop's owner.

I didn't know that hillside on which the ground stood was called Woodhill, but, when you think of it, the name makes sense. In the days before the area was developed, you can imagine it was covered in trees. And, of course, the house overlooking the valley at that point --the house that stood on Grimsethorpe Road-- was known as Woodhill. There are some references to this house on Sheffield History.

5 sisters no brothers lol

have you got it yet kev.another clue i have a daughter called gaynor.:thumbsup:

I think the club was known simply as Petre Street Cricket Club. As I have mentioned before, I used to drop in at the ground when I was a boy, back in the mid to late 1940s and the team had an all-rounder called Hancock, a man with ginger hair, who was quite the hero at that time. I never did learn any more about him, but I am fairly sure he lived at a shop just up the road from the ground, on P Street. This shop was on a corner, and, in the summer, it always had a team-sheet in the window with a list of players chosen for the next match. I have a feeling that the man Hancock was married to the daughter of the shop's owner.

I didn't know that hillside on which the ground stood was called Woodhill, but, when you think of it, the name makes sense. In the days before the area was developed, you can imagine it was covered in trees. And, of course, the house overlooking the valley at that point --the house that stood on Grimsethorpe Road-- was known as Woodhill. There are some references to this house on Sheffield History.

Hi Redfyre, Thanks for the information. I can't believe I lived about 2 to 3 hundred yards from this house and didn't know it was called Woodhill. I will have to ask my Father, who is still going strong at 88, if he remembers the name Woodhill. Thanks Again.

"spike"hunsley street

hi kev,its sheila was in the pub that xmas.have you got me now.:thumbsup:

Hi Sheila got you now it took me some time but got there in the end.

How is everyone saw Gaynor in Royal Oak sometime ago do you still go in the Normanton the last time I was in the Normanton was after my mums funeral in November.

And as for Spike what a character.:hihi:

Hi Sheila got you now it took me some time but got there in the end.

How is everyone saw Gaynor in Royal Oak sometime ago do you still go in the Normanton the last time I was in the Normanton was after my mums funeral in November.

And as for Spike what a character.:hihi:

yeah still go in normanton kev,were all fine.will be up to see you at the punch bowl now weathers picking up.sheila:thumbsup:

DOMMI, the garage was Warriner's. Between the petrol pumps on Grimesthorpe Road and the repair sheds on Sedan Street was a flight of steps which we kids utilised as a shortcut.

In the fifties a gentleman named Mr. Wright lived in the big house at the top of Smith's field. He used to walk along Sedan Street on his way home from All Saints church and was reputed to always put half a crown in the collection plate

Edited by Jim Hardie

great photos how did imiss this thread? Too much ale probley.

--------------

hi pigeon, looking through the photos, off petre st,

the shop on the corner did it become a seconed hand shop

befor it was knocked down.