Smith's Field or Smithies Field near Petre Street

I think there's some confusion over the 'Big' houses on the top of Smith's Field. There was a large vicarage-type house on Grimesthorpe Road at the bottom of Osgathorpe Lane / top of Torbay Road; it is visible on DIDO's second photo above. Further on Grimesthorpe Road, just after the opening to the field, there was a much older, large house which is the one most people are refering to. It backed right onto Grimesthorpe Road with no pavement and its sandstone walls were very weathered. There was a lean-to guard frame made of metal bars around a low window at road level. PSCC cricket club had a player form Sutherland Road ( below Petre Street) called Ken Speechly who was a milk man. The iron rings which held the barrage balloons were still in place in the 60's and may still be there ?

When I lived at Pitsmoor, I am sure Mr Reg Drabble, who had a couple of coaches, lived in the house at top of Smiths field

HI I lived on EARLDOM ST went in the Normanton during the war and many years after. Arthur Fearnehough

Arfer Mo, I wonder if you can help. I am trying to ascertain the names of an elderly couple who lived on Earldom Street just after the war. Sadly, I don't know the number. However, as you look up the hill from Grimesthorpe Road, on the left there was an opening that led to a path and some gardens (In fact, I used this as a short cut to get to my gran's on Danville Street!). The first house top side of this opening was where this old couple lived. Their back gate looked out onto the path to the gardens. The reason I remember them is they had previously lived on Danville Street, in the house behind my gran's (they were back to backs), and they knew me. During the war they came into our air-raid shelter during the bombings. They were a lovely couple, and I have often wished I could remember their names. If you can help, do let me know.

my family lived there in 1911 for what i gather many years any info much appreciated Smith Dack Family a large family! thx

Edited by Smith Dack

Hi I am 67 and lived at  the bottom of Carwood Crescent next to Smiths field across from Weavers Creek as it was known my nickname was TATS does anyone remember me just curious.

3 hours ago, suctionbeatle5 said:

Hi I am 67 and lived at  the bottom of Carwood Crescent next to Smiths field across from Weavers Creek as it was known my nickname was TATS does anyone remember me just curious.

I can recall Carwood Crescent. It wasn’t actually a crescent but a dead end street. I don’t remember Weavers Creek, where exactly was it?

On 01/12/2020 at 04:08, suctionbeatle5 said:

I lived on Carwood Terrace for 20 years 'til '67, I don't recall any creek. There was a spring in the outfield of the cricket ground .  Did it go by Gunstone's stable yard near Crosby Welding ??

the taffinders live there for years they came of cyclops st 

36 minutes ago, Bowls said:

the taffinders live there for years they came of cyclops st 

That would be when the new houses had replaced ours,