Smith's Field or Smithies Field near Petre Street

Who knows anything about the history of Smith's Field or Smithies Field between Petre Street and Grimesthorpe Road?

I played there and picked blackberries in the 70s and 80s, and always wondered why there was an open space of this size there, next to factories on the one side and the then new Carwood estate on the other. My family, who lived in the area before the slum clearance, remember from the 40s and 50s, and I think they mentioned sonething about a cricket pavilion.

Here's a picture

Why is the field there?

Why has it never been built on?

Does anyone else have memories of it?

I think this page from the Burngreave messenger should be able to give u some answers!

Matt

i remember Smiths fields i used to live at 84 peter st.spent many a happy hour there,didnt need toys just our imagination.we also picked blackberries,that was mid fourties.went to all saints school.perhaps they dont want to destroy our happy little memories:rolleyes:

My Great Gran lived at 99a Petre Street ..... looking at Matt1889's link to the Burngreave Messenger, was wondering if anyone knows which junction the photo is of ..... if its Petre St & Sutherland, then I can see her house & its the only photo I've seen ... can remember playing when I was very young.

Shaun

Anyone got any more photos of Petre Street???

Thanks greybeard for those pics,anyone else got any?

My dad used to have a corner shop on Petre Street - not sure when, probably late 40's - early 50's.

Can anyone remember it and provide any details? Think it was a sweet shop or something similar

Saxon ... do you know which part of Petre Street??? I know there was a butchers, Post Office, Tailors not sure about the others.

I'm afraid not. My dad died about 15 years ago before I became interested in the family history.

My brother's a bit older than me so I'll ask him when I see him.