Help advice needed - hit pipe when digging in garden

Ive started digging a hole for a pond in my back garden. Ive only gone about 14" down and ive hit a pot pipe:( about four inch in diameter. i can look inside the pipe and its very clean, i cant see how it is anything but old land drainage. My neighbours garden is a little lower than mine. Anyone any ideas what this could be?

are there any manholes in line with the pipe if so you could have hit a live drain and this will need repairing otherwise you could end up flooded out with the smelly stuff

Ask everyone 'up hill' of your property to flush their toilets at a given signal. If your plants turn brown you're in the sh..

Ive started digging a hole for a pond in my back garden. Ive only gone about 14" down and ive hit a pot pipe:( about four inch in diameter. i can look inside the pipe and its very clean, i cant see how it is anything but old land drainage. My neighbours garden is a little lower than mine. Anyone any ideas what this could be?

Its easy to tell if its land drainage because the pipes aren't usually cemented together.

It could be an old drain.If you contact Yorkshire Water they can locate sewer runs etc.,and are very helpful.

It will be a bit of old pipe the builders left, before they put the topsoil on.

Go on a bit further until you come to the end, then dig it out.

No service pipes are buried at 14'' they are at least 18'' minimum

could be anything

No manholes anywhere, thanks for tips and advice, cant be sewer pipes only 14 inch deep, so i think thats out, but thanks for suggestion. May contact Yorkshire:) water.

:hihi: Its an old land drain if not collard and cement jointed .Is the garden on a slope . Land drains are about a foot long and 2inch across :hihi::hihi: Proper drains are 3 ft long 4inch across and have a glazed finish All typs of drains can be near the surface sometimes :hihi: Probably as Balpin said do as he sugested Edited by spider1

It will be a bit of old pipe the builders left, before they put the topsoil on.

Go on a bit further until you come to the end, then dig it out.

No service pipes are buried at 14'' they are at least 18'' minimum

:hihi: You mean should be in reality not always the case :hihi::hihi:

in detail the pipe is on a raised part of the garden about twenty foot from the house. So in effect its about 16" above ground level. I have placed a piece of kitchen roll in the pipe to see if it is flushed away or gets wet?:loopy:

in detail the pipe is on a raised part of the garden about twenty foot from the house. So in effect its about 16" above ground level. I have placed a piece of kitchen roll in the pipe to see if it is flushed away or gets wet?:loopy:

Do as I say and stop messing about.

It will be a bit of old plant pot when you dig it out. :hihi::hihi: