We don't want Tesco

I WISH to object to any new plans of a Tesco Experss. We already have a well stocked shop, newsagent and post office. Why we let Tesco be a threat to the small shops who have served us well in the past?

They should move with the times or risk being swallowed up by the mighty Tescos machine.

I would love to have a large Tesco open near me. Or Sainsbury's. Coles and Woolworths are an abominable excuse for supermarket chains. Expensive, poorly laid out, terrible selection. 5 sandwiches (in total) if you are lucky :(

Bring Tesco to Melbourne!

What goes up must come down. The intensity and energy used to jump is not going to keep them in the air forever.

Just be patient, history is full of examples from similar cases we have now forgotten. What tesco does is normal human behaviour in search of power and control over the whole market. They are not doing it honestly, they lie, put people under pressure, anything to get to their goal.

Just be patient and see what happens in the long run.

They look for a satisfaction in winning control but this satisfaction is an illusion, I know. The closer they come to it the bigger the dissatisfaction and waking up to what is the point of all of this? They will never find what they really want in live because live is not tesco. Even if every street has a tesco and they go to the moon people can wake up and take their illusionairy power away.

In future students will be taught from their mistakes from the old days.

Many other places I have found "exact" same products cheaper than in lying tesco.

Still use tesco, but just little little bit for few things.

Edited by dutch

More power to the Tesco's/Sainsburys of this world. Money is tight for everybody and the £ is king. I called into a 'local' shop the other day and paid 80p for a pint of milk, I wont be doing that again.

I WISH to object to any new plans of a Tesco Experss. We already have a well stocked shop, newsagent and post office. Why we let Tesco be a threat to the small shops who have served us well in the past?

Chances are Tesco will sell items a lot cheaper than the local corners shops you are refering too , so its win ,win for customers. Whats the problem with that . ?

Why do people start threads and not come back to answer peoples questions, well annoying.

unfortunately sheffield has become a supermarket and takeaway haven now, probably like most citys in this country

I have to laugh tbh.

Tesco were wanting to build a store in my area but the Co-op, Spar, Somerfields & a few of the independants petitioned against it, whilst the majority of the population were for it as it would have brought a few more jobs to the area. Tesco withdrew the plans.

Co-op's managment claimed that Tescos in my area would be unfair competition and force the closure of the local shops including themselves, leaving only Tesco by the end.

Since Tesco withdrew:

Co-op have bought the Somerfield chain and locally have taken over the premises that were owned by the Spar chain.

Now forgive me if I'm be impertanant but isn't that making unfair competition for the smaller independants, just like they claimed having a Tesco store would do ?

The even funnier thing about these 3 Co-op stores is that whilst being less than 1.5 miles apart, all three stores seem to have different pricing structures!

Chances are Tesco will sell items a lot cheaper than the local corners shops you are refering too , so its win ,win for customers. Whats the problem with that . ?

I doubt they will be significantly cheaper.

Milk, for example, is cheaper at my local independent mini-market than at Tesco Express, or Tesco. Or Sainsburys, to be fair.

The argument that 'if people don't want Tesco they won't shop there' is disingenuous. Some people, who would have otherwise shopped at the local shop, will shop at Tesco because for them it will be more convenient - perhaps it opens earlier, or later. Perhaps it happens to be nearer their house or bus stop. Whatever - it will take some trade from the local shops, and chances are over time this will be enough to make the local shop no longer viable. Tesco can run a small store at a low profit or a loss for as long as they like as they have so many other branches. A small one-shop local cannot.

It's not just grocers they shut either. They sell a bit of everything there; they don't do anything that well apart from convenience. It seems that enough people are lazy enough for that to be enough, which is sad.

Which area are the plans relating too?

dont know but am guessing its the one thats coming near the cricket ground on ecclesall rd, the old garage site opposite the post office up there is going to be a tesco express.

The title of this thread is totally misleading. When you say 'we' you actually mean you.

There may be many people who live in your area that actually do want a Tesco Express to open.

It would also be very helpful if you would make we, the other forum users aware of where you are.:rolleyes:

Not sure where the 'Tesco is much cheaper' argument comes from. The big Tesco on Abbeydale road is far more expensive than the Morrisons on Chesterfield Road, and for many products it's more expensive than the Asian-run general stores also on Abbeydale road. In any case Castle Market is cheaper than all of them. I suppose it's the marketing power Tesco has that makes people think it's cheaper.