Crosspool travel agents - armed robbery - 24/02/2012

I think you are guessing on 1930s crime.What about the crimes which were never reported?

Unreported crimes are, by definition, unquantifiable. Looking at the crime map of Sheffield it seems to be heavily weighted with anti-social behaviour offences, certainly not robberies. However, armed robberies are highly likely to be reported in any age.

Masses of fraud takes place due to modern business methods, but never appears in the statistics because those defrauded mostly know it's pointless reporting it as the police will take no action. Businesses like banks accept it as the price they pay to operate the systems they use.

Robberies were probably more common 70-80 years ago, because a lot more transactions were made with cash - like nearly all of them! Capital punishment was a deterrent, but that's a subject for another thread.

White collar fraud type crime is likely to get a much lower sentence and a less active police response. The internet has made it too easy for the distant villain to fleece the often gullible victim, and too hard for law enforcement agencies to catch the culprits.

That's what makes the Crosspool armed robbery so relatively unusual.

If people stopped exercising their human right to have multiple children, then there wouldn't be so many unemployed in their adulthood. People perpetuate poverty by breeding so much, and then expecting there to be jobs for them that don't actually exist. Overpopulation is the biggest problem on earth. But people can't see beyond their own front doors, and don't think about the bigger picture, and the impact their actions have on the world.

However, I digress.

Totally agree "over populations ins the problem"

as for poverty i have not witnessed any in the Uk for 40 years

You are incorrect. As poverty is purposely created, so will violent crime. It is not rocket science. If a government got elected that decided to alienate and starve me I would react too.:)

If you can't see why your original post was ridiculous, then it's pointless going any further. But I'll keep it simple...

You are incorrect. As poverty is purposely created, so will violent crime. It is not rocket science. If a government got elected that decided to alienate and starve me I would react too.:)

IF poverty (in real terms) was purposely created then you might have at least some argument. You might get a job in some post-colonial African country as a philosopher. A bad one maybe.

It is a sign of the times I am afraid. As this government continues to pursue policies that deliberately create poverty violent crime will flourish.

No [legally voted] government in their right mind pursues policies that deliberately create poverty, if they wish to win/keep votes.

Forming a link between poverty and crime is not unrelated to the topic. It IS the topic.

No. The topic was...

There has been an armed robbery in Co-op Travel, Crosspool this evening. Causing a frenzy in an otherwise quiet, and peaceful suburb.

It was you who started creating reasons, and linking things to it.

Forming a link between poverty and crimes however, as you say, can be related. Forming links to an armed robbery in Crosspool and implying that it is directly related to policies that only exist in your head do not.

If, however, these perpetrators are caught and tried, and they turn up in rags and begging for food and water, I'll concede to owing you a pint.

Unreported crimes are, by definition, unquantifiable. Looking at the crime map of Sheffield it seems to be heavily weighted with anti-social behaviour offences, certainly not robberies. However, armed robberies are highly likely to be reported in any age.

Masses of fraud takes place due to modern business methods, but never appears in the statistics because those defrauded mostly know it's pointless reporting it as the police will take no action. Businesses like banks accept it as the price they pay to operate the systems they use.

Robberies were probably more common 70-80 years ago, because a lot more transactions were made with cash - like nearly all of them! Capital punishment was a deterrent, but that's a subject for another thread.

White collar fraud type crime is likely to get a much lower sentence and a less active police response. The internet has made it too easy for the distant villain to fleece the often gullible victim, and too hard for law enforcement agencies to catch the culprits.

That's what makes the Crosspool armed robbery so relatively unusual.

Since 1981 we've had the British Crime Survey which attempts to get a true picture of crimes committed in this country, including unreported ones.

It does that by asking a large sample of people what crimes they've been a victim of in the last year, it's a research project independent of the police.

We've no idea how many crimes were really committed before that because they don't always correlate with reported crimes. The police are involved in collecting reported crime stats, deciding what's a crime & what isn't, rather than just the victims.

Since 1981 we've had the British Crime Survey which attempts to get a true picture of crimes committed in this country, including unreported ones.

It does that by asking a large sample of people what crimes they've been a victim of in the last year, it's a research project independent of the police.

We've no idea how many crimes were really committed before that because they don't always correlate with reported crimes. The police are involved in collecting reported crime stats, deciding what's a crime & what isn't, rather than just the victims.

Since crime statistics were started. Perhaps even 20,000 years ago, they have been the most easily manipulated figures known to man.

Since crime statistics were started. Perhaps even 20,000 years ago, they have been the most easily manipulated figures known to man.

The British Crime Survey aims to counter that, it's one of the best surveys of it's type in the world. There are problems with it, as there are will all crime figures, but overall they're the best figures we have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Crime_Survey

Before that we only have records of crimes reported to police, which are much more easily manipulated. They're so easily manipulated that the stats are close to meaningless.

Edited by anywebsite

Crosspool? what a shame as Crosspool is a good area. Kids were probably just bored and wanted to make their own entertainment, the poor business owner then suffering. Kids please find something useful to do with your time!!

Crosspool? what a shame as Crosspool is a good area. Kids were probably just bored and wanted to make their own entertainment, the poor business owner then suffering. Kids please find something useful to do with your time!!

What? And 'what?' again as the first one was too short.

Crosspool? such a shame to hear this as Crosspool has always been a good area. Bored kids I suspect. And unfortunately the poor business owner suffers!!

Crosspool? such a shame to hear this as Crosspool has always been a good area. Bored kids I suspect. And unfortunately the poor business owner suffers!!

I read it the first time. Still makes no sense. I don't think 'bored kids' are the usual perpetrators of armed robberies. Too young to drive for a start.