Crosspool travel agents - armed robbery - 24/02/2012

Everybody was polite back then, always said please & thank you, you could leave your door wide open when you went out...

or maybe not http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0950764507

Gang wars were few and far between and did not have anything to do with robbery. Even up to the 80's I could go out and leave my door open and my neighbours looked out for each other. Actually the last bit is still truer with some of my neighbours . What changed in the 80's:huh: Oh:idea: I know we got an old cow who set to break the workers and set brother against brother and every man or woman for themselves.

Trying to turn this into a political statement is just lower than low tbh.

I blame McMillan for the Great Train Robbers and Walpole for Dick Turpin.

If people stopped exercising their human right to have multiple children, then there wouldn't be so many unemployed in their adulthood.

And what one thing has an ironclad correlation with birthrates?

Even up to the 80's I could go out and leave my door open and my neighbours looked out for each other.

As you say, we still do this.

What a load of rubbish, they had far harder times in the 1930's but didn't resort to violent crime of epic proportions. No the fact of the matter is in those days if you couldn't afford something you went without, now if you want something and can't afford it you take it from somebody else be it family, friend, neighbour or a complete stranger and we live in enlightened times?

There was violent crime in the 1930s just as there is today.

If anyone is really bothered - there's a good article here on crime in the last century

http://www.historytoday.com/victor-bailey/crime-20th-century-britain

Normally agree with what you say ash but have to say not on this occasion. Its common sense that an increase in poverty comes hand in hand with an increase in crime.

There is a difference between common sense, and making conclusions that are ridiculous.

There has been an armed robbery in Co-op Travel, Crosspool this evening. Causing a frenzy in an otherwise quiet, and peaceful suburb.

It is a sign of the times I am afraid. As this government continues to pursue policies that deliberately create poverty violent crime will flourish.

This conclusion, from what the thread title and OP was, is ridiculous.

There is a difference between common sense, and making conclusions that are ridiculous.

This conclusion, from what the thread title and OP was, is ridiculous.

You are incorrect. As poverty is purposely created, so will violent crime. It is not rocket science. If a government got elected that decided to alienate and starve me I would react too.:)

Edited by Hezron

Gang wars were few and far between and did not have anything to do with robbery. Even up to the 80's I could go out and leave my door open and my neighbours looked out for each other. Actually the last bit is still truer with some of my neighbours . What changed in the 80's:huh: Oh:idea: I know we got an old cow who set to break the workers and set brother against brother and every man or woman for themselves.

There was more crime in the 80s (every year for the whole decade) than there is now. Crime peaked in 1995 & it's been falling since (except a few small bumps, last year was one).

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/blog/2011/07/29/30-years-of-recorded-crime-versus-the-british-crime-survey/

Compare that to the poverty graph & it's quite a good fit...

http://www.cpag.org.uk/povertyfacts/

Edited by anywebsite

i just wondered how the poor people who were in there at the time, my thoughts are with them xxxxx

Yes, I was wondering if we'd ever get back on track but I fear the topic is lost in petty, unrelated bickering like so many other threads.

Yes, I was wondering if we'd ever get back on track but I fear the topic is lost in petty, unrelated bickering like so many other threads.

Forming a link between poverty and crime is not unrelated to the topic. It IS the topic.

We must learn to address the disease rather than the symptoms.

Forming a link between poverty and crime is not unrelated to the topic. It IS the topic.

Sorry, I thought it was a topic was about an armed robbery in Crosspool, not a thesis.

What a load of rubbish, they had far harder times in the 1930's but didn't resort to violent crime of epic proportions. No the fact of the matter is in those days if you couldn't afford something you went without, now if you want something and can't afford it you take it from somebody else be it family, friend, neighbour or a complete stranger and we live in enlightened times?

I think you are guessing on 1930s crime.What about the crimes which were never reported?