Meditation MEGATHREAD

I guess a totally quiet room would be better but hard to find.

To begin with i would suggest the quieter the better, simply just to get used to the feeling.

Once you're reasonably comfortable with it though you'll be able to do it anywhere, at any time.

I appreciate those instructive comments dutch,and the input from others with knowledge and experience,not just for the benifit of myself but for others just viewing this thread.

It seems i have still much to learn,but i have a clearer understanding now.

Did not instruct you. You are free to do and go where you want.

I was attempting to share experiences about meditation, If you want instructions I will not give them.

Maybe it is a different experience for you, anything is possible, be free individual. Please do not become a carbon copy of me ever and hope to gain, desire anything you want.

You could be the first person receiving meditation through desire, anything is possible, really, a new discovery.

If it works I love to learn more about it.

Edited by dutch

Did not instruct you. You are free to do and go where you want.

I was attempting to share experiences about meditation, If you want instructions I will not give them.

Maybe it is a different experience for you, anything is possible, be free individual. Please do not become a carbon copy of me ever and desire anything you want.

You could be the first person receiving meditation through desire, anything is possible, really, a new discovery.

Look forward to the new discovery.Certainly have no desire to be a carbon copy of anyone.:hihi: quite the reverse.

I will always be an individual.

Great. Please never see my expressions of experience as instructions. If someone does take them as such I instruct them to go elsewhere and forget all about me.

Only a free meditator can find the inner silence of meditation.

I like this thread. Thank you all for contributing your insights.

Just like to say, that any critisizm I have ever aimed at any other person, for whatever reason or fault; 9 times out of 10, that very same fault manifests in my own being. Indeed, where that not the case, I would fail to recognise it as a fault in others.

Plus, it's not my place, or obligation, to go about offering unsolicited advice or pointing out other peoples' flaws.

Yes i like this thread too...:) one question, can you over meditate? like can it make you feel a bit low?...:)

Yes i like this thread too...:) one question, can you over meditate? like can it make you feel a bit low?...:)

I would also like the answer to your question. Im guessing PaliRichard will say "No" you cant over meditate. I should imagine the longer you meditate, the more relaxed you become. I do 12 mins, but sometimes I lose track of time, and it runs into 15 mins.

Benefits of meditation this week include:

Never feeling afraid

Never feeling panicky........................................thats good enough for me.!!:)

That's a very good question, and I'm afraid I can't give you a 'one size fits all' answer.

I think in general 'over meditating' will not, if you are doing it correctly, make you feel 'low', I have been sat on mountains in Sutherland for days (with breaks for the obvious bodily functions) and had no detrimental side effects.

Having said that, the mind can be over concentrated and become fatigued. For me viewing the mind as a muscle seems to work, for others it may be different, but over excercise can be damaging to a muscle and in the same way over exerting the mind can too.

It is an aspect of Buddhism that awareness (meditation) should be cultivated from waking until sleeping, and this can be achieved.

I expect it comes down to experience and what you are 'adding' to the method, but simply watching the breath, the core of most meditation, I would imagine the only side effect of that would be becoming so relaxed that you lose concentration and fall asleep.

Others may have different experiences, and I would be intetested to hear their thoughts on this question too.

Thanks for the reply, ive been feeling a little tired recently, i do tend to try and concentrate, maybe too much?...in other words maybe i should stop trying so hard...:)

Thanks for the reply, ive been feeling a little tired recently, i do tend to try and concentrate, maybe too much?...in other words maybe i should stop trying so hard...:)

Definately stop 'trying' altogether, just 'do'.

I'm not sure what method of meditation you use so I can't really say more than that, but doing, and trying are entirely different.

Definately stop 'trying' altogether, just 'do'.

I'm not sure what method of meditation you use so I can't really say more than that, but doing, and trying are entirely different.

I've been using simply being, and meditation without borders...the last one gives you the option of learning to meditate, are you best just sticking to one?

I find when I'm told to disregard any thoughts, I am trying..:huh:

I like this thread. Thank you all for contributing your insights.

Just like to say, that any critisizm I have ever aimed at any other person, for whatever reason or fault; 9 times out of 10, that very same fault manifests in my own being. Indeed, where that not the case, I would fail to recognise it as a fault in others.

Plus, it's not my place, or obligation, to go about offering unsolicited advice or pointing out other peoples' flaws.

None of us are perfect,it would be a nice world if we were....

but wouldn't it be a boring one!