Help needed: How to pay for a funeral when you can't afford to.

A friend of mine has just lost her elderly Mum. Mum did have a house but it was sold years ago to pay for care home fees. This now means there's nothing left. The daughter (my friend) has recently broken up with her husband and despite being in a very good job, is on the verge of bankruptcy. Talk about having your plate full.

Anyway, daughter can't afford to pay for Mum's funeral and doesn't know what to do. I've suggested she talk to the funeral directors to see if they can offer any advice. As far as I'm aware there is no-one that can claim for a funeral payment from the social fund, and I don't know what else to suggest.

Can anyone offer any constructive advice please?

Go and talk to social services. They may be able to help.

Thanks for that. I'll keep checking back and do a printout for her so she's got all advice given here to hand. :)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/WhatToDoAfterADeath/DG_066724

If you can't get other help

If no one is able or willing to arrange and pay for the funeral, the local council (or in some cases the health authority) may do so, but only where the funeral has not already been arranged. The local council may also make a claim on the deceased's estate to pay for the funeral.

I'd agree with rupert, try to get social services involved. If nobody meets the funeral payment criteria then there's no statutory duty to help so it's a question of trying to basically get someone with discretionary power to take pity. Horrible situation for your friend to be in and I hope it all gets worked out.

i don't mean this disrespectful, but they have not left any body on the top yet, i hope that portrays that no matter what happens she will get a funeral

If the corpse is made available for research the university will fund a cremation-its the option I am choosing come the day!

Some of the independent funeral directors also do payment plans. My mum died recently and I used a chap called Michael Fogg who did a fantastic job and didn't charge as much as the corporate firms. I do know that he does payment plans and paying by installments. There is also money available from the dhss for funeral costs although I don't think they will pay the whole of it.

Some of the independent funeral directors also do payment plans. My mum died recently and I used a chap called Michael Fogg who did a fantastic job and didn't charge as much as the corporate firms. I do know that he does payment plans and paying by installments. There is also money available from the dhss for funeral costs although I don't think they will pay the whole of it.

Best people to ask is the funeral directors, they will really try to help.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I will pass them all onto her.