Lancasterian School

Thanks Hillsbro but I cannot find either school listed in the Archives. My uncle certainly went there for a short time.

Hi Vic787 - I see what you mean, I just visited the Sheffield Archives website and searched on the word "Lancasterian" and it gave this result:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/search-result.html?queryStr=lancasterian

This was using the correct spelling, but using the search-word "Lancastrian" gave two more references:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/search-result.html?queryStr=lancastrian

But apart referring to obituaries of former headteachers, the downloaded files seem to be concerned with the Beeley Wood Special School, which from 1901 to 1939 was known as the Lancasterian Special School. All the same your visit to the Sheffield Archives (or the Local Studies Library - 1st Floor, Surrey Street) might prove fruitful - anyway good luck!

Thank you for that information Hillsbro, the Sheffield Archives is on my radar for next week See how I get on, will let you know

That term 'Lancastarian School" conjures up some image from my distant past of schools for ,(to use today's language ) challenged individuals

Thanks Hillsbro I visited the Archives and found much information out that I needed however there are no records of the Lancastrian School or that of Bowling Green School.

Will keep searching and see what turns up

regards Vic

Has any one heard of this school that was down Shalesmoor ,Is it perhaps still there.

Has any one heard of this school that was down Shalesmoor ,Is it perhaps still there.

I think that's the school being referred to Albert, at Bowling Green Street/Russell Street, school no longer there tho'.

I think that's the school being referred to Albert, at Bowling Green Street/Russell Street, school no longer there tho'.

Saves me looking for it ,cheers.

My Grandfather lived on Green Lane and went to the Lancasterian School at Bowling Green St. I have a medal he was given for good attendance and timekeeping at this school.

It goes well with his medals from WW1,his service record and his Court Marshall papers.