Possible leak but nothing noticeable, any ideas?

I'm hoping thee might be a plumber on to give some advice please.

Since the weekend I have noticed a fusty smell that becomes noticeable as you walk up the stairs. At first I thought it was coming from the cupboard which is in the spare bedroom which houses the boiler, underfloor heating manifold, we also keep all the cleaning stuff in here, ironing board etc and I thought it was the mop! Thats exactly what it smells like a fusty old mop. Any it's not the mop, I've chucked that, had everything out of the boiler room, checked round everywhere for any leaks, or water and nothing. The boiler pressure is also spot on (i.e. not dropping to signal a leak anywhere) same with the underfloor manifold, that has gages on too and all OK.

Any ideas anyone? There's obviously something wrong somewhere but how can I detect it? Is there such a thing as a damp detector?

Life extinct vermin under the floor? :)

Last weeks underwear in the laundry basket? :gag:

Check under the bath.

Check the sealant and grouting in the shower/bath area, if its cracked or failing anywhere, water can get down the back and start affecting plasterboard/timber.

wait a week or so and see if the smell gets any stronger !!! like andy says,, dead vermin whilst harmless, can smell foul !!!

Are any walls wet? Or

Have you got a dog? Has it decided that the best place to have a wee is on the stairs?

Scott

Thanks for the replies.

It's driving me mad. No wet walls, no obvious leaks or water marks anywhere. Yes we have a dog but it's not that, she's never left alone, besides the stairs are wood, not carpet.

If it's a dead rat somewhere what do we do about that?

Thanks for the replies.

It's driving me mad. No wet walls, no obvious leaks or water marks anywhere. Yes we have a dog but it's not that, she's never left alone, besides the stairs are wood, not carpet.

If it's a dead rat somewhere what do we do about that?

:( take all floor boards up where pipes are coming up [should be loose ] through floor Try to contact firm that did heating leak could be on a pipe leaking before it gets to boiler etc. Any toilet drainage soil pipe boxed in that area :(

:( take all floor boards up where pipes are coming up [should be loose ] through floor Try to contact firm that did heating leak could be on a pipe leaking before it gets to boiler etc. Any toilet drainage soil pipe boxed in that area :(

Oh god, thats a nightmare in my house it's solid wood flooring everywhere. :mad:

Hi,

I carry out handyman jobs for people

If there is no signs of a cause downstairs, and you detect the bad smell when going upstairs it may be a leak at first floor level somewhere

If you want me to have a look let me know 07716 021145

Thanks. Going to see how it is over the weekend and see if it gets any better/worse. Just cannot detect where it is coming from.

Hi,

I am intrigued as to the cause of your fusty smell, and wondered as you detect it going up the stairs, if you have a loft hatch on the first floor ceiling, whether the smell could be coming from there. Could a bird or squirrel have got into your loft space and unfortunately demised? If you have cavity walls it is not unkown for rats to climb up the wall ties, and if poisoned beforehand it could have died up there

Approaching the hatch and lifting it would confirm or eliminate this option, and if you needed someone to remove the offending item then let me know

Its not a fishy smell is it? If so it could be faultly electrics, does it smell more when lights are on?