My owls team for Sunday is.

Ellis was hopeless :hihi: rob jones reminds me of big daft sam,good in the air and thats it,Vic Mobley was twice the player sam was,and but for an injury at villa park,would have a cup winners medal.....

Gerry young was a teriffic player,all across the back and in midfield,he played emergency centre foreward in a euro game once,and scored a hatrick!

Trevor Francis played his best football YEARS before joining Wednesday,i only recall him as a usefull sub......and Ford, i remember very well,burst into the side at 21,and scored about 30 goals in 2 seasons,his trademark was,back to goal,the Spin on a tanner,and ram it home,alas defenders worked Ford out,and he only scored a handfull thereafter,and was swapped for jackie sinclair,i think he got one goal during his last season,from about 20 games!Jack Witham was very reminscent of Ford,almost identical players,but jack had more to his game and never lacked goals,and was also good in the air,maybe why Ford was allowed to leave,had jack played in the 2nd division,wed have come straight back up.

Swan without exception was our best centre half,but Mobley was very close.

David Layne was well on course to eclipse Dooley for goals,like hirst in build,though not as tall,Layne was an instinctive player,right place right time,hed time his moves with precision and anticipated everything inside the area,hed have been the quickest owl to 200 goals without any shadow of doubt,and all at top level.

McCalliog was my boyhood owls idol,he played with a swagger and style,no great pace,but great vision for a goal or a pass,a busy player,always demanding the ball,always involved.

Wednesday would have had to win for Mobley to get a winners medal but yes a good player, Ford had two great seasons for Wednesday that's why I included him plus he was a major contributor in the 66 cup run. I really do think Sam Ellis deserves a lot more respect but maybe I am to young to really judge a lot of these players.

I agree Jim McCalliog deserves a mention, Swan, Lane and also Kay should be erased from the clubs history.

Edited by cornerpin

If players and managers who have shall we say been a little dodgy were removed from history then many who are playing and are pundits today would be gone.

Some have missed drug tests others have been found guilty, some have taken bungs for transfers etc and they are all still around.

By comparison Swanny and co were just daft.

Wednesday would have had to win for Mobley to get a winners medal but yes a good player, Ford had two great seasons for Wednesday that's why I included him plus he was a major contributor in the 66 cup run. I really do think Sam Ellis deserves a lot more respect but maybe I am to young to really judge a lot of these players.

I agree Jim McCalliog deserves a mention, Swan, Lane and also Kay should be erased from the clubs history.

swan ,lane,kay made a mistake of which swan and kay paid the highest price.since mamy sportsmen have commited far worst and had little punnisment. SWAN AND KAY WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY TEAM

swan ,lane,kay made a mistake of which swan and kay paid the highest price.since mamy sportsmen have commited far worst and had little punnisment. SWAN AND KAY WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY TEAM

All 3 would be in mine.

All 3 would be in mine.

Peter and Tony were Sheffielders i think David Lane was a Rotherham kid.

Peter and Tony were Sheffielders i think David Lane was a Rotherham kid.

David Layne was the only one from Sheffield.

Not getting into an argument but I agree with most of what you said apart from the bold bit

A mistake is running out of coffee,

A mistake is getting 2 rolls of wallpaper too many

Betting on your own team to lose is a deliberate act not a mistake

Actually Swan was born in South Emsall near Pontefract

Both Layne and Kay were born in Sheffield

Actually Swan was born in South Emsall near Pontefract

Both Layne and Kay were born in Sheffield

You are correct the Tony Kay I quoted still plays for HUddersfield.:hihi::hihi:

peter swan was born in Leeds

I will have to start going on Google before posting, I always thought Peter was a Sheffielder so that's him and Wilf Smith that cant go into a only Sheffielders Owls team, At this rate Dooley will be a Dingle and that would put the cat among the pigeons.