Warning - Fake Zorin on sale!

There is no point in constructing imagined problems (W7 64 Driver issues) which don't exist, offering Linux as a solution, and then blaming MS for the fact that Drivers aren't available.

OK so at least I know where things are with Windows 7 64-bit but because of previous issues in XP 64-bit (and not having ever owned same) I think I would have been cautious on any future versions (just as you would with certain GNU/Linux distributions.:hihi:)

Anyway to put it into context further, a few years ago now there were no drivers in GNU/Linux to play Movie DVD's - so a 17 year old Nordic lad writes drivers for GNU/Linux - what happened? the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America - land of the free!:hihi:) weren't too happy and said 17 year old is placed under house arrest! Get the drift now?

And to Mel - glad you managed to install Zorin!

Forgot to mention another distro I am equally enamoured with PearOS - the latest incarnation is shaping up nicely in the form of Comice OS 4 and is as fast as Zorin for boot times with a nice Mac-like interface. The dev version is out at the moment and you have to run 'sudo apt-get update' after install so that the 'AppStore' works correctly - but that's about it. Not tried installing it yet but did try the Beta - what I liked about that was the clever way it picked up the webcam and gave the option to take a picture to associate with your account at point of install (Beta was 64-Bit and non live - the dev 32-bit is!):D

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pearoslinux/files/Comice%20OS/

Edited by swarfendor43

Forgot to mention another distro I am equally enamoured with PearOS - the latest incarnation is shaping up nicely in the form of Comice OS 4 and is as fast as Zorin for boot times with a nice Mac-like interface. The dev version is out at the moment and you have to run 'sudo apt-get update' after install so that the 'AppStore' works correctly - but that's about it. Not tried installing it yet but did try the Beta - what I liked about that was the clever way it picked up the webcam and gave the option to take a picture to associate with your account at point of install (Beta was 64-Bit and non live - the dev 32-bit is!):D

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pearoslinux/files/Comice%20OS/

I've looked at Pear OS for a simple interface for the old man's PC, not tried the new "beta" version.. it did look nice, and for what he needs simple enough to use. Never really had time to tinker with it though.. did notice some localisation problems in a few of the bundled 'apps'. The music player I think sticks in my mind as being totally French.. (and no Tony... it REALLY was French :hihi:)

I've looked at Pear OS for a simple interface for the old man's PC, not tried the new "beta" version.. it did look nice, and for what he needs simple enough to use. Never really had time to tinker with it though.. did notice some localisation problems in a few of the bundled 'apps'. The music player I think sticks in my mind as being totally French.. (and no Tony... it REALLY was French :hihi:)

Yes - that would be Panther 3.0 - partially rectified (as Clementine music player was also an issue - French interface) if you installed the locale for English GB system wide and applied it resolved most of the issues but AppStore was Franglais! However 4.0 Development version for testing only is looking really cool! I can't see all the wallpaper on this rig as it has an old graphics and old monitor (17" CRT) - just tried it live on a laptop at work and can see all the wallpaper - which reminds you it is for test purposes only. If you do decide to install, be sure to open a terminal and run 'sudo apt-get update' and that will make sure the AppStore runs how it should - and it is looking pretty good I can tell you! - mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:D

Whats Linux? :help::help::rant::rant::D

Whats Linux? :help::help::rant::rant::D

Is this:

a. genuine question?:suspect:

b. a wind up?:rant:

c. a thread bump? :P

Is this:

a. genuine question?:suspect:

b. a wind up?:rant:

c. a thread bump? :P

i guess B...

i guess B...

I wait with trepidation! Is Zorin working yet on your machine?

I wait with trepidation! Is Zorin working yet on your machine?

not tried it tbh

not tried it tbh

Perhaps you should try ComiceOS 4 then; unless you have an allergy to fruit!:hihi:

Been trying to get Comice installed on this spare machine, it just keeps locking up midway through the install.. :/