Warning - Fake Zorin on sale!

I'm not trying to make anybody switch & nobody else is either really. I'm not selling it, I don't get anything out of you using it & I couldn't care less what software you use on your computer.

I just use what works for me & I told you why it works for me.

The freedom is having the source code, if you can't understand why that's important then Linux isn't for you.

Edited by anywebsite

So Linux is only for people who want to, and can understand what to do with, the source code?

It's for anybody that wants to use it & they can use it however they want to. It isn't for people who don't want to use it.

Simple enough?

Nobody else really benefits from you using Linux, especially if you're not a software developer & never pay for any Linux related services. So why would anybody care if you use it or not?

Edited by anywebsite

Aye, it's the snooty "go back to windows you're just too thick to comprehend attitude" of some.. that will ensure linux remains in the also-ran stakes.. It's kinda like the "go back to warcraft wow-kiddie" that you see on gaming forums often splurged at people who have some criticism of a new game...

I'm pretty adept with any Windows based enterprise, I've also had experience with SCO Unix and some tinkering with various Linux distros. It's safe to say my experience in using this kind of thing is someway above 'average'.. and in a similar vein to what melthebell said if I find that using linux often is tedious/difficult then Mr average Joe Bloggs is going to have neigh on no chance of using it sucessfully..

Most users do just want to 'click' on things and they work... which as spooky3 pointed out is in some degree possible with Linux, but once you want to do anything beyond starting up an already installed program it often gets complicated... and don't give me the one click install cobblers, not everything you may need/want is available via those tools.

Most people just dont want to have to be typing

#sumo cobblers apt-difficult --wtf --eh

#sh --*t --gtfo -gibberish.deb /x /y/z-abc/-n

to download and install their favourite whatever... :hihi:

Not snooty, just realistic. If a user insists on repeating the same old same old about it not downloading or installing, nothing working on it and the terminal being full of gibberish then yes, sty with Windows. It doesn't matter how much advice people get, if they say the terminal is gibberish then it's clearly not for them.

You have done the same. Why try and find favour with you? You see it as gibberish. Stick with Windows.

Not snooty, just realistic. If a user insists on repeating the same old same old about it not downloading or installing, nothing working on it and the terminal being full of gibberish then yes, sty with Windows.

If a user insists on repeating the same old same old about 'freedom' and 'community', about how security software only works against known threats, or how much Windows costs then yes, stay with Linux........

Well, I've only been away for a day and I think I shall have to call on the services of SuperNanny! Everyone to the naughty step now!:hihi:

Well, what can I say, what an interesting thread this has turned out to be?

Tea and Biscuits anyone? I think I shall have to RAID the larder - then there was 0!:hihi::hihi:

In terms of hardware/software support (RAID. Scanners, Obscure printers) - the issue does not lie at the door of GNU/Linux that is Copyleft, but the commercial concerns that are Copyright. If you are having some difficulty with hardware then lobby the manufacturer to provide a GNU/Linux driver for it - It should not all land at the door of 'It's Linux fault my [peripheral of choice] does not work!" - Far from it.

In respect of Freedom I will initially draw your attention once more to what used to me in my sig - http://www.gnu.org/fry - Stephen Fry is very eloquent and I do like the plumbing analogy - It's a bit like saying you have the freedom to build a house how you want it rather than one prescribed for you, such as a Barratt Home! (No offence to anyone who lives in one - my sister did for many a year.) Freedom means not having to rely on other pieces of software, the latest specification of hardware, 16 Gb Ram to run the application. That is freedom and also freedom to the environment - "I've just found out Luv that that game you bought me for my Birthday won't run on this heap so I've spent my Christmas money in advance on an Asus AMD Processor Bundle with 4Gb RAM from Maplins - you don't mind do you?"

Get the picture? :hihi:

Hi Mel - hope you are getting there. In respect of 'dependencies' that is still true - unlike Microsoft who make it easy to target one item - the '.exe' file, Linux is reliant on other files to run - that is the nature of the beast. If you look more carefully at Windows Applications they don't just rely on the .exe they also require the presence of .dll files (dynamic link libraries), some Applications require Java to be present, others need to run in a JRE (Java Runtime Enviornment), and still others might require a specific version of QuickTime to run or the latest version of DirectX - so you see there are similarities - then there are not. If you use Software Centre you might not see as many messages that state it requires other packages to be installed which at the end of the day are (in most cases) 200 Kb or less and you hardly notice the speed of the download - my downloads for GNU/Linux appear to be 100 Kbps faster than in Windows so I find that rather puzzling - perhaps its because Windows users aren't accessing the servers!:hihi:

You have done the same. Why try and find favour with you? You see it as gibberish. Stick with Windows.

In your over zealous and blind defence of all things Linux you've made the mistake in assuming that I see it as gibberish, I don't. I was merely pointing out in a slightly flippant/humourous manner that to most PC users hammering stuff into a Terminal console IS gibberish.. and no amount of bickering will change that. If Linux remains rooted (pun unintentional :D) in that way of doing things, it will unfortunately always remain "2nd best" or an "also ran". By all means keep Terminal available and as much of a powerful tool as it is for those that wish to use it, but it shouldn't be a force that literally HAS to be reckoned with..

Through your conjecture though it seems that you agree with me...

If a user insists on repeating the same old same old about it not downloading or installing, nothing working on it and the terminal being full of gibberish then yes, sty with Windows. It doesn't matter how much advice people get, if they say the terminal is gibberish then it's clearly not for them.

However it seems many in the Linux 'community' don't necessarily agree with your way of thinking, hence the great strides in general usability that has taken place in recent years, more and more stuff IS doable via 'point-and-click'.. and there are people like the Zorin mob looking at alternative ways of enticing average windows users.

Well, what can I say, what an interesting thread this has turned out to be?

Tea and Biscuits anyone? I think I shall have to RAID the larder - then there was 0!:hihi::hihi:

In terms of hardware/software support (RAID. Scanners, Obscure printers) - the issue does not lie at the door of GNU/Linux that is Copyleft, but the commercial concerns that are Copyright. If you are having some difficulty with hardware then lobby the manufacturer to provide a GNU/Linux driver for it - It should not all land at the door of 'It's Linux fault my [peripheral of choice] does not work!" - Far from it.

I'm not saying it is all the "fault" of Linux, the fact remains though I often can't get simple things to work with Linux. And to most people that would be unacceptable.. they're not going to simply ditch hardware because there's no driver/os support. Though it is barmy how it recognises the same raid controller in a RAID1 config.. and works just fine.

Incidently, Window's recognises the RAID0 partition from the off.. no 3rd party drivers needed, so long at the raid function of the motherboard bios is switched on..

The printer/scanner also works fine with Windows generic drivers, again no 3rd party stuff needed.. although granted for more advanced functions they are. Just because it's not HP doesn't make it obscure.. ;)

Incidently, Window's recognises the RAID0 partition from the off.. no 3rd party drivers needed, so long at the raid function of the motherboard bios is switched on..

No doubt because Microsoft[TM] has paid for 'exclusive' rights to the drivers?;)

The printer/scanner also works fine with Windows generic drivers, again no 3rd party stuff needed.. although granted for more advanced functions they are. Just because it's not HP doesn't make it obscure.. ;)

Very true - there is a link about scanners and Linux - when I find it I will come back and post - that is the beauty of GNU/Linux though, you can try before installing!;)

[How many problems does Windows 64-bit have for instance in the realm of drivers? ;)

Getting back to the thread title for a moment....I have Zorin....no...not this fake one you pay for :hihi:

I don't understand an awful lot about computers...but what I do know about Windows I don't particularly like....but I don't think I could cope with a full on Linux....I tried one of the more involved distros...heavy going...and I didn't really understand too much.

I supposed I am a Windows refugee....so Zorin is fine....I also like Mint. I don't like the bare bones stuff...or indeed anything with a command prompt that would just blink at me until I hit the wrong stuff...haven't got a clue.

So....Zorin....at least it ISN'T Windows. :hihi:

How many problems does Windows 64-bit have for instance in the realm of drivers? ;)

Honestly I've not had a driver issue at all with Windows 7 64-bit.

Yeah, admittedly with Windows 64 (xp) & Vista there were some "issues" :hihi:

Don't get me wrong, I really do hope some Linux distros keep making great strides in usability.. either that or ReactOS actually gets it's arse in gear.. because the way Windows 8 is looking to be shaping up I can see Windows 7 being my last copy of Windows. :rant:

[How many problems does Windows 64-bit have for instance in the realm of drivers? ;)

Another straw man I see...

For me, I haven't had a single driver issue with W7 64 - not one.

I can't say the same when I tried Ubuntu on here - sluggish, fan running on full constantly, no HDMI output and much worse battery life.

But according to you, that's Microsoft's fault anyway because they have exclusive rights to the drivers. But what happened to the amazing 'community' with all their 'freedom' and 'versatility' -doesn't count for that much if I can't get my off-the-shelf laptop to work at least as well it did under Windows does it?

There is no point in constructing imagined problems (W7 64 Driver issues) which don't exist, offering Linux as a solution, and then blaming MS for the fact that Drivers aren't available.