Warning - Fake Zorin on sale!

See melthebell - even forums don't work correctly!!:hihi: - I clicked on the big smile Smilies under more and it comes out :bigs mile: :hihi:

See melthebell - even forums don't work correctly!!:hihi: - I clicked on the big smile Smilies under more and it comes out :bigs mile: :hihi:

It's the forum's long word filter.

just see if im brave enough to install it lol

Just check the md5 sum first before burning and then if OK burn using imgburn at it's slowest speed and run it 'live' before installing.

Just check the md5 sum first before burning and then if OK burn using imgburn at it's slowest speed and run it 'live' before installing.

you know ive never understood all that md5 sum stuff either :P never bother looking at em, no point, dunno what to do

you know ive never understood all that md5 sum stuff either :P never bother looking at em, no point, dunno what to do

Sometimes, isos (and even applications for Windows) have an md5 checksum - basically this is as it says - it is a checksum to check that the file you have downloaded matches the one issued for the .iso you have downloaded and saves you making a coaster! The md5 checksum for Zorin is usually on their 'get Zorin' page:

http://www.zorin-os.com/free.html

Download winmd5free from winmd5.com here: http://www.winmd5.com/

Download and install to windows if that is what you have at present, find the iso by using the 'Browse' button on the interface and click on the Zorin iso.

At the end copy and paste the Zorin md5 chekcsum in the bottom bar to compare the two. If everything ok, burn with imgburn.

Too many smilies or the filter needs rewriting, which ?

Neither, it's just filters being applied in the wrong order.

There's a long word filter that inserts a space after 50 characters with no space in between, to stop extra long words from breaking the forum layout. That's applied before the smiley filter, so it breaks long sequences of smilies with no space in between too.

12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

It's a website bug anyway, nothing to do with Linux.

I still can't understand why anybody would choose a Linux distribution that tries to be a poor copy of Windows, like Zorin does. Surely that makes it worse?

Edited by anywebsite

I still can't understand why anybody would choose a Linux distribution that tries to be a poor copy of Windows, like Zorin does. Surely that makes it worse?

This is the part I cant understand either. Surely its going to cause more confusion.

Community, cost, versatility, safety, freedom. Linux is just a kernal, a way of allowing you to interface with a machine. The thing Linux allows freedom.

The problem is translating those into benefits to the user

Community - Not really sure what you mean here - there is a much larger Windows 'community' should you need it - I guess what you really mean is forums where you can get help or discuss software and exchange tips - there are plenty of those for Windows too you know!

Cost - For most people not a concern - Windows comes installed with their PC - the cost is invisible to them. Other than Windows every single other piece of software on my laptop is freeware. Chrome, MS Essentials, Libre Office, iTunes, FeedDemon, Firefox, Picasa, Paint Net, uTorrent, VLC, Skype to name just a few - not one of them costs a penny. They may not be open source, but they still cost nothing.

Versatility - not sure what you mean - I can't think of why installing Linux on my home PC would make it more 'versatile' than it is with Windows 7? What are you thinking of doing with it??

Safety - Its true that the threat of malware is far far smaller on Linux than Windows - however it takes a matter of minutes to download and install decent free security software - much quicker than installing a whole operating system. MS Security Essentials is my preferred one for its straight forward interface. (I haven't had a single issue with malware in the past 10 years - I could easily have run no AV software at all as many people do)

Freedom - A bit abstract really - freedom from what? to do what?

I'm not anti Linux, or even pro MS - over the years I've had Macs, Windows and Linux setups. When I got this laptop it had Windows 7 on it, and so far I have had no reason to change it - if I did it would be for a genuine practical reason, not some abstract notion of 'freedom' or because of a bogus idea that it would cost me less.

This is not trolling, or flame-baiting - I just think that if you want to convince people that there is a good reason to switch to Linux, you need more than a few abstract concepts.

The problem is translating those into benefits to the user

Community - Not really sure what you mean here - there is a much larger Windows 'community' should you need it - I guess what you really mean is forums where you can get help or discuss software and exchange tips - there are plenty of those for Windows too you know!

The Windows community didn't write the software & don't have the source code, so even the 'experts' hardly know anything about it.

Cost - For most people not a concern - Windows comes installed with their PC - the cost is invisible to them. Other than Windows every single other piece of software on my laptop is freeware. Chrome, MS Essentials, Libre Office, iTunes, FeedDemon, Firefox, Picasa, Paint Net, uTorrent, VLC, Skype to name just a few - not one of them costs a penny. They may not be open source, but they still cost nothing.

If cost isn't a concern then I wish I was you. You pay for Windows if you buy a PC with Windows installed, you're just fooling yourself. You pay for closed source software with the risk of not knowing what it's really doing or being able to change it.

Versatility - not sure what you mean - I can't think of why installing Linux on my home PC would make it more 'versatile' than it is with Windows 7? What are you thinking of doing with it??

It's a lot easier to do a lot of things on Linux, software development in particular. Lots of software only runs on Linux or runs best on Linux. Plus you can change it however you like, there are choices of GUIs, you can even choose not to have a GUI if you want.

Safety - Its true that the threat of malware is far far smaller on Linux than Windows - however it takes a matter of minutes to download and install decent free security software - much quicker than installing a whole operating system. MS Security Essentials is my preferred one for its straight forward interface. (I haven't had a single issue with malware in the past 10 years - I could easily have run no AV software at all as many people do)

Your security software is backwards, it can only detect threats that are known to the company that wrote it & then only some time after they become aware of the threat. It's useless against any new threat. It's much better to run an operating system that doesn't need babysitting.

Freedom - A bit abstract really - freedom from what? to do what?

Freedom for you to do whatever the hell you want with it without having to ask Steve Jobs or Bill Gates' permission first.

Don't like the way part of Windows works (or doesn't work)? Tough you have to live with it. Same problem on Linux? Maybe somebody else had the same problem & fixed it, if not then you can fix it if you want (or pay somebody to) because you have the source code. You can modify it & make your own version.

Edited by anywebsite

This is the part I cant understand either. Surely its going to cause more confusion.

easy, its closer to windows and so eases us windows users in gently, or supposedly does