Warning - Fake Zorin on sale!

Well, downloading software from websites is bad. First you've got to find the right website, then you've got to trust that the software is ok to install & doesn't have any hidden nasties, then you've got to go through a wizard & be careful not to install the bundled crapware to install the thing, then hope it works. Then you have to keep checking to see if it's been updated to fix any security holes. They might even want to charge you for the privilege.

In Linux you click on the add & remove programs button, that opens up a list of all the software available (categorised, searchable), you tick the box next to all the pieces of software you want to install, then you click install. It all gets updated automatically.

If you wanted to you could remove that functionality or never use it & go back to downloading all your software from websites, but that was one of the reasons you chose Linux in the first place, because you don't have to do that.

In short, they do make it very easy, much easier than Windows for a lot of things, it's just you making it hard for yourself by expecting it to just be a poor copy of Windows. It does things better.

They're on about the ISO download for the Distro. Man can't even download that right yet it's the linux community's fault. I would recommend this user stick to Windows or even Vtech.

They're on about the ISO download for the Distro. Man can't even download that right yet it's the linux community's fault. I would recommend this user stick to Windows or even Vtech.

Please people, let's not get into mud slinging - Keep calm, put kettle on, Make Tea, have some biscuits! (You don't have to download that do you? Just down it!:hihi::hihi::hihi:)

thankyou for your help tony ;)

Whats so good about linux?

Community, cost, versatility, safety, freedom. Linux is just a kernal, a way of allowing you to interface with a machine. The thing Linux allows freedom.

Give it a go and see if it's for you.

Just don't be one of those users who's crap at technical things, fails on the download and blames linux for being hard and accuses the community of living in bubbles.

At least let this guy explain.

Edited by Tony Erikson

Community, cost, versatility, safety, freedom. Linux is just a kernal, a way of allowing you to interface with a machine. The thing Linux allows freedom.

Give it a go and see if it's for you.

Just don't be one of those users whose crap at technical things, fails on the download and blames linux for being hard and accuses the community of living in bubbles.

At least let this guy explain.

your obsessed with slagging me off arent you?

for your information i wasnt slagging off the community for the download, thats an additional annoyance, its the general hardness of linux ive encountered for the past 10 years, ive dabbled with various live distributions and installed ones (including knoppix and mandrake) like i said im not generally stupid when it comes to computers, ive helped enough people in this very section over the years.

Its prolly cos i started with pcs on windows so its all i know, i dabbled very slightly with dos, mainly just to get my cisco qualification lol

anyway im trying again on the netherlands server

Edited by melthebell

your obsessed with slagging me off arent you?

No I'm obsessed with defending linux/gnu against people who know bugger all and blame that for their incompetencies. I equally like how they feel it's ok to generalise about the whole community when it's their lack of ability.

No I'm obsessed with defending linux/gnu against people who know bugger all and blame that for their incompetencies. I equally like how they feel it's ok to generalise about the whole community when it's their lack of ability.

sigh

i know i dont know how to use it thats the whole point, all i was saying I THINK, part of the problem tho is the linux community can so generally they dont try and make it easier for "us incompetants" to use it.

my experience of linux in the past has been that it completely destroyed my enjoyment of doing stuff on the computer, on windows i fly about doing this, this and that, on linux i didnt, still dont have a clue, typing long lines of gibberish into the terminal just to do the simplest things etc, then getting error after error, and dont get me started on dependencies

Peace! Hugs (and kisses) to all! Let's not start WWIII on this forum for goodness sake. It is good to be passionate about GNU/Linux. My first taste was Knoppix 2.9 nearly 10 years ago now and that wowed me. Then Fedora 3 - that wowed me (but I have become less enamoured with Fedora due to issues I encountered in Leonidas - can't remember if it was 10 or 11. Then it was Mandrake - I only had dial up at home so tried to download updates elsewhere, saved to CD and broke Mandrake! My fault, not the distros. Then it was OpenSuSE for quite some time. Then a dabble in the Windows look alikes - first Lycoris ('Amethyst' 1.4) - feted as a Windows 98 replacement - just wish I had bought the full version with Games Pak - the Racing Game still shots looked phenomenal!), then Freespire 1.0.13 and 2.0.8 (Community fork of Linspire). When it came to getting USB dongles to work it was DreamLinux, then VectorLinux 5.9 - the only issues being I had to provide static addresses for the dongles to work - both Slackware variants. Then I fell head over heels with Sabayon from about 3.3 onwards - felt it lost it's way after 3.4f - I just loved the dark wallpaper and the penguin's foorprint logo - which now looks more like an Adidas reject logo:hihi:. Then there was Ubuntu 5.10, Ark Linux, ReactOS, Musix, Puppy, MacPup, Xandros Community Edition, Elive, Debian Etch - so I have dabbled considerably. I am no coder - impressed myself (and the technicians I worked with) when I compiled Thunderbird to run on Mandrake - haven't done it since. (I was just getting into 'Shell' on Amiga when a PC arrived and I forgot all my command lines in Amiga - now that was an OS and not just a 'games' machine as it became slated as - I did quite a bit of Desktop Publishing with my trusty Amiga 1500 with only 1 Mb Ram - taking 20 minutes to print one page - but it was FUN! And that is what GNU/Linux is - it's FUN!

Edited by swarfendor43
typo - spelling

just to let you guys know, Zorin HAS finished downloading from the netherland server

just to let you guys know, Zorin HAS finished downloading from the netherland server

Yay!:clap::banana::wow::wink::partyhat::wave::bigsmile:8)