Warning - Fake Zorin on sale!

as a Linux community we should be encouraging any distribution that can show Windows users that there is an alternative.

tbh thats the problem, generally the linux community live in their own little geeky bubble playing happily typing in line after line of gibberish, thats why linux never gets any easier

hmmm i tried downloading that zorin last night and it failed, even tho theres more than enough disc space and im on firefox like they said

tut

linux strikes again, cant even make a download work right first time :(

tbh thats the problem, generally the linux community live in their own little geeky bubble playing happily typing in line after line of gibberish, thats why linux never gets any easier

OK, this is neither true nor relevant, and if this is the tone the discussion is taking, I'm bowing out.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

OK, this is neither true nor relevant, and if this is the tone the discussion is taking, I'm bowing out.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

haha

well im sorry if ive offended you but thats exactly how i see it, this very threads shown it, linux users poopooing zorin for daring to be as close to windows as possible to ease wannabe ex windows users in gently

haha

well im sorry if ive offended you but thats exactly how i see it, this very threads shown it, linux users poopooing zorin for daring to be as close to windows as possible to ease wannabe ex windows users in gently

I found your generalisation about all linux users a tad offensive. You make it out like were all sat in dark rooms typing code on monochrome screens.

No-one has complained about Zorin looking like Windows. The complaints have mainly been regarding them charging for what is free, Are you aware of the GNU licence? The fact that such a thing exists and is adhered to proves your crap linux user generalisation to be false. Linux is about community.

With regards to your generalisation statement. Exchange the word linux for muslim and you would have been on it like a shot.

With regards to your generalisation statement. Exchange the word linux for muslim and you would have been on it like a shot.

haha nice try, the major difference is frequency tho, i said it once, muslim generalisations and hatred goes on constantly, day in day out, for years

and ooh must be a first, a muslim arguement in a linux thread in the computer section, well done

haha nice try, the major difference is frequency tho, i said it once, muslim generalisations and hatred goes on constantly, day in day out, for years

and ooh must be a first, a muslim arguement in a linux thread in the computer section, well done

It's the art of generalisation you tool Not how often it happens. You complain when others do it yet it's fine when you do.

Anyway, it's sending the thread off topic and I refuse to try and explain to a moron.

It's the art of generalisation you tool Not how often it happens. You complain when others do it yet it's fine when you do.

Anyway, it's sending the thread off topic and I refuse to try and explain to a moron.

like i said, personally i wouldnt care if you dont like muslims, its the constant barrage by the same people on a daily basis i hate, not the act, to some its like a mission statement and so needs countering

enjoy yer linux

like i said, personally i wouldnt care if you dont like muslims, its the constant barrage by the same people on a daily basis i hate, not the act, to some its like a mission statement and so needs countering

enjoy yer linux

You don't understand the difference between dislike and generalisation now. Mel, I refuse to get into discussion with you. You made a poor generalisation about linux users and when challenged try to worm out of it.

Hi melthebell,

Which server were you trying to download? I hope it was not ibiblio as I explained that issue - also we don't know the circumstances of your OS environment and what other applications working in the background such as firewall settings etc. And can all forumers stick on topic and not make generalisations. As stated before, Zorin has IP rights to 'BackgroundPlus' which you don't receive in the core version - they do not charge for the Core version!

errrm server??

i tried to download off here http://zorin-os.com/free.html

32bit

tbh it shouldnt matter what i have running in the background a downloads a download, i dont have trouble downloading anything else.

infact ive just downloaded the latest knoppix live cd / dvds so i can have a fiddle (not that i can do that much with them)

why would zorin make itself so unstable to actually download? knoppix has always been fine to download over the years

ah i get yer with the server thing, think i tried Ireland (HEAnet) cos it said use the nearest

see even all that

maybe i downloaded a version that needed compiling, i dunno, but even so, i shouldnt have to use some special way of downloading stuff (ubuntu repositories, software centre)

whatever happened to going to a website, finding something, double clicking and it installing?

why do linux developers STILL insist on doing it the hard way no matter how close to windows they pretend to be?

its been a fair few years since dos....why cant linux developers start a new leaf?

Well, downloading software from websites is bad. First you've got to find the right website, then you've got to trust that the software is ok to install & doesn't have any hidden nasties, then you've got to go through a wizard & be careful not to install the bundled crapware to install the thing, then hope it works. Then you have to keep checking to see if it's been updated to fix any security holes. They might even want to charge you for the privilege.

In Linux you click on the add & remove programs button, that opens up a list of all the software available (categorised, searchable), you tick the box next to all the pieces of software you want to install, then you click install. It all gets updated automatically.

If you wanted to you could remove that functionality or never use it & go back to downloading all your software from websites, but that was one of the reasons you chose Linux in the first place, because you don't have to do that.

In short, they do make it very easy, much easier than Windows for a lot of things, it's just you making it hard for yourself by expecting it to just be a poor copy of Windows. It does things better.

Edited by anywebsite

Knoppix has it's own dedicated download mirror as it has a large following and has been growing over a longer number of years than Zorin - Zorin has to rely on other hosts to host their isos - Heanet, NLUUG, ibiblio.org, ARRNET.au.

The problem with Knoppix is that it is quite arrogant in that it will not allow you to change the file system from the default ReiserFS which I have had issues with in SuSE Linux. For me the most stable file system is ext4 which is usually the default fs system when most GNU/Linux systems install. So as far as I am concerned Knoppix will just be there as a RecoveryDVD if needed - that said Freespire 1.0.13 worked where Knoppix failed when I had to recover some files at work - sadly no more - it was another Windows look alike DE (Desktop Environment). What version of Windows are you using? And what version of FireFox?