Warning - Fake Zorin on sale!

Swampster, it's probably Zorin, not all Linux is that bad.

For Fedora the install process goes like this, download live cd, burn it to a disk, put disk in drive, reboot. Then it starts into Linux & you click 'install to hard drive'. Half an hour later it's done. I don't see how it could get much easier, it's certainly much easier than installing Windows.

https://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Just like Zorin - there the similarity ends. I downloaded or installed Fedora from a Cover DVD of a magazine some time ago - Leonidas - what a nightmare - install fine - but because of the codecs issue looked around the web for advice - downloaded, installed the codecs then Fedora started pulling down packages from the next release and broke the install!

I looked at Zorin and was going to try it but then noticed all the features I have currently under Linux Mint 12 installed by default, I would have to pay to get the same done under Zorin.

No it doesn't have cinammon - thank goodeness - but each to their own - I much prefer pantheon desktop with launchpad (as in PearOS/ComiceOS). And what things do you get with Mint you have to pay to install on Zorin pray tell me?

Anyone who pays for a Linux distro or the support for one for home use is a tool. All this crap about how hard linux is to use. It's no harder than Windows for the most common things and for the uncommon things it's usually easier than Windows.

99% of the time it's the user that just doesn't have a clue. Even me.

With Linux, if it breaks there's a chance I can fix it. With Windows, if it breaks, there's a chance I can pay for a piece of software that can fix it.

If the unix/linux way of doing things is so crap, why are macs, iphone/pads, android based on them and why do 99% of web servers run the software?

Anyone who pays for a Linux distro or the support for one for home use is a tool. All this crap about how hard linux is to use. It's no harder than Windows for the most common things and for the uncommon things it's usually easier than Windows.

With Linux, if it breaks there's a chance I can fix it. With Windows, if it breaks, there's a chance I can pay for a piece of software that can fix it.

If the unix/linux way of doing things is so crap, why are macs, iphone/pads, android based on them and why do 99% of web servers run the software?

my bold, it is, the thing is generally linux "gurus" havent taken it on board and made it easier

ive spent years trying to install (compile) one thing.......a zx spectrum emulator, ive never succeeded, now theyre not the most technical things int he worl and i aint stupid when it comes to puters....well windows anyway

my bold, it is, the thing is generally linux "gurus" havent taken it on board and made it easier

ive spent years trying to install (compile) one thing.......a zx spectrum emulator, ive never succeeded, now theyre not the most technical things int he worl and i aint stupid when it comes to puters....well windows anyway

This issue is getting better every day.

http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/#Download

Then again, a ZX Spectrum emulator is hardly going to be regularly maintained is it?

This issue is getting better every day.

http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/#Download

Then again, a ZX Spectrum emulator is hardly going to be regularly maintained is it?

tried fuse, i know the writer, also tried another couple AND even had the tutorage of an experienced linux guru, still never even after 8 years or so managed to get one installed..........i dont have linux installed now, may try this zorin, but like i said i would love to swap windows for linux but linux is just so damn complicated and sucks all the enjoyment out of computing for me

It's nice to know I am a 'tool' then! At the end of the day it is down to the individual - like I stated earlier - Devs have to eat, drink and pay bills just like the rest of us and if you would like to see your favourite distro go even further then making a donation is also possible. I have only paid for 2 distros: A commercially packaged SuSE Linux 9.3 Professional, and a download of VectorLinux 5.9 DeLuxe 2CD Set. Macs also use parts of BSD as well as GNU/Linux [Darwin] then have their proprietary architecture on top.

No it doesn't have cinammon - thank goodeness - but each to their own - I much prefer pantheon desktop with launchpad (as in PearOS/ComiceOS). And what things do you get with Mint you have to pay to install on Zorin pray tell me?

from reading this link Zorin Premium it suggests if you want to use apps that are included in other distro's or available to download then to get it in Zorin you must pay even for the download version

tried fuse, i know the writer, also tried another couple AND even had the tutorage of an experienced linux guru, still never even after 8 years or so managed to get one installed..........i dont have linux installed now, may try this zorin, but like i said i would love to swap windows for linux but linux is just so damn complicated and sucks all the enjoyment out of computing for me

There's one in the Ubuntu repos. That should be OK. Are you sure your mate is a "guru"?

I like Zorin as a live disc as it comes with a lot more drivers. I like the default theme but there's nothing extra special about Zorin. I like the look of Mint too but ultimately, they're all based on Debian. That's the beauty for me, even though I don't fully utilise it. I can make Linux what I want it to be. That, for me, well and truly put the fun into computing. The more people use it, the more support it will get.

It's nice to know I am a 'tool' then! At the end of the day it is down to the individual - like I stated earlier - Devs have to eat, drink and pay bills just like the rest of us and if you would like to see your favourite distro go even further then making a donation is also possible. I have only paid for 2 distros: A commercially packaged SuSE Linux 9.3 Professional, and a download of VectorLinux 5.9 DeLuxe 2CD Set. Macs also use parts of BSD as well as GNU/Linux [Darwin] then have their proprietary architecture on top.

Zorin aren't developing anything. They have made a distribution of packages. Sure, I believe in donating but not charging. Notice how they use the word donate to stay within the GNU terms? Yet they don't give you the option to not donate. If you want to support the devs then do that too but that's not what you're doing by paying for Zorin.

In fact if you click on the Zorin developers link, it sends you to the Ubuntu App page.

Edited by Tony Erikson

There's one in the Ubuntu repos. That should be OK. Are you sure your mate is a "guru"?

I like Zorin as a live disc as it comes with a lot more drivers. I like the default theme but there's nothing extra special about Zorin. I like the look of Mint too but ultimately, they're all based on Debian. That's the beauty for me, even though I don't fully utilise it. I can make Linux what I want it to be. That, for me, well and truly put the fun into computing. The more people use it, the more support it will get.

i fiddle with knoppix as a live disc, cant do that much with it tbh, of mi mate being a guru, hes online and ive known him on and off for at least 8 years, hes a heavy duty linux user / geek .........doesnt even use forums cos thats too new for him lol, hes been using linux a lot longer than that, he knows it inside out

I use FUSE in the Ubuntu repositories. It's available in the Software Centre. No compiling, and very easy to use. I haven't compiled a thing in years. I think Nestopia was the last thing I compiled, but it's in the repos on openSUSE, so I just use it there.

Not much of a geek or guru myself, and definitely not one of the "hardcore", but have never found Linux half as difficult to use as many like to make out. I recently reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10, and was thrilled with just how little configuring and faffing there was. Lovely.

@Tony - was just gonna say, isn't Zorin based on Ubuntu? I don't have a problem with people making money from their distro, but I have to admit I don't really see what it is that Zorin offers other than Windows-like appearance. I'd like to see the Ubuntu Software Centre idea expand, as I think that's a great way for Linux to make a bit of money on the desktop without leaving people feeling a bit ripped off.