Did You Live On The Manor Estate In The 50s And 60s?

Does anyone remember a Malcolm Corker or a Ronnie Bennet. They both lived above Harborough Avenue around Fretson Road. Also, I think there was a Ronnie Smith who lived on Fretson Road.The Allwoods ring a bell and so do the Crowthers.

Any one remember Avril Coates who lived on Harborough Ave.

And Billy Reaney who lived further up the Manor.

Philip Glenn the Paul Bullivant you know was he with someone called Dawn Mellor?

Remembered some more names of people living in houses bordering 'the field' on Harborough Avenue: Swift, Ward, Fenton, Cowlishaw, Hobson, Doherty and a lad we called Ronnie Onions but I can't remember his real name.

I was thinking about the various street traders who operated on the estate in the late 50's early 60's: Craig's ice cream with his trilby in his green and cream Fordson van (I think he had a blue and cream one too), B & C co-op mobile shops, the tripe man in his grey van who used to announce his presence with a hand bell, Fentimans soft drinks, A bloke (who may have been called Mr Fidler) selling fruit and veg from a horse and cart, some old lad who used to sell firewood from a horse and cart in the winter months. There were also two blokes who used to deliver horse manure in an ancient and smelly Dennis lorry. One was the brains, the other one carried the manure in an old dustbin on his back- he had a suspiciously well tanned back of the neck and forearms. The brains had a permanent 'pooh! wot a stink expression' and carried a loo brush for dispersing spillage from the carriers neck and shoulders! Anybody know any more?

The Wards could be my lot.

Tommy,Philip,Alan....Shiela,Kath,patricia,Christine

diane can you remember a lass called ange oops della48

Any one remember Avril Coates who lived on Harborough Ave.

And Billy Reaney who lived further up the Manor.[/

Yes I remember Avril Coates, she went to school with Ann Wheelhouse. The Buxtons were Mary, Lynne, Annette, Robert and Michelle I think. Ann Wheelhouse lived on The Crossways, and the Buxtons were on Fretson Road, along with some Littlers.

Does anyone remem ber Ann Bramall, who lived on Dawlands Close, off Prince of Wales Road. Also the first self service shop I ever went in was the Maypole which opened on Prince of Wales Road around 1958. We were amazed by having to help ourselves. It felt like we were shoplifting.

I remember Maureen Straw who used to work at post office ont' Manor. We used to shop around there at Unwins grocers and Gebharts pork butchers. Gebharts always immaculately clean! Across the road was Hagues fish 'n chip shop!

Just seen your note about the shops near Hagues Chip Shop. I lived at 77 Fairleigh and my husband lived at 22 Fretson Road. We left school 1954/55 and have been married 50 years in September this year.

I lived on Darcy Close until 1968. I know some of the names you mentioned but only because I knew their relations. I was in the same class as Brian Jacob's brother, Kevan; I was an aquaintence of Jimmy White's sister, Janet; and Brian Elgie (some relative of Norman's?)went out with my friend for a while. Tony Wespy was my Auntie's neighbour on Paulet Road. I only remember him as a respectable single bloke.

I am sorry that I can't give you any up to date news about them.

I travel down Prince of Wales Road quite often and I still think that the view from there is spectacular. I also thought that we had the best shopping centre back then. I loved Wilkinson's chip shop, and the bilberry tarts, apple tarts and custards from Tomlinsons. I also remember the novelty of Bates beer off opening, buying threepenny packets of ready salted Golden Wonder crisps and being given a free can opener every time I bought a canned pop. I can remember my Mum's share number for the Co-op, and I still have the foreign dolls I got free by sending packet tops from washpowder bought from 'the Meadah' (Meadow).

Does anyone remember playing in the flag yard and the air raid shelters next to Pipworth School (even though we were constantly told not to by Miss Warren, the Headmistress?)[/Remember QUOTE]

Remember Brian Elgy well still see him in the club

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 16:50 ----------

Know Paul Bullivant very well

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 16:56 ----------

Hi,

Do you remember anybody called phil inkler, brian skidmore, andrew williams or paul bullivant? great people at the time, what things we got up to!!!

I do remember the chippie a lot,and the post office ha ha!

Know Paul very well

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 18:14 ----------

Philip Glenn the Paul Bullivant you know was he with someone called Dawn Mellor?

Now he did go out with a girl by that name ?

Did you live on the Manor Estate 45 years ago?

No you existed.

Some very fond memories of the Manor

Does anyone remember the Eatons that lived on Queen Mary Crescent?

Does anyone remember the Eatons that lived on Queen Mary Crescent?

Yes I remember Valerie we were in the same class at school.I think her brother was called Joseph. We used to play in the"fishpond"opposite their house.