Did You Live On The Manor Estate In The 50s And 60s?

Remembered some more names of people living in houses bordering 'the field' on Harborough Avenue: Swift, Ward, Fenton, Cowlishaw, Hobson, Doherty and a lad we called Ronnie Onions but I can't remember his real name.

We left 92 Fairliegh in 1952, I was only 5 but still remember the local shops. Unfortunately peoples names are very vague, I do remember Sergeant Dusforge who also lived on Fairleigh, can you imagine a police officer living on The Manor today?

This is interesting, for me at least.

I used to go trainspotting in the sixties and regularly bumped into a group of lads from the Manor amongst whom I remember the names Paul Fenton, Ronnie Onions (I don't know if that's his real name either) and Alan Dagnall. Be interesting to know what happened to them all. There was a slightly older lad who knocked around with them who had a camera (rarity in those impoverished times). I was included in a number of photographs that he took at Darnall, Doncaster and both Sheffield stations and I'd be happy to see the results some 50-odd years later.

I was at secondary school with a Desforges. His dad was a policeman and the lad had been to St Theresa's school on Prince of Wales Road so I guess he's the same family.

Yes I remember Valerie we were in the same class at school.I think her brother was called Joseph. We used to play in the"fishpond"opposite their house.

Hi Rueben! Val is my cousin but unfortunately we lost contact..I now live in Donny! Joseph is our cousin.. Her brother was Doug! I can remember having fantastic times playing in the fishpond although I was never very good at climbing over the railings! Our Joe used to give me a shove! I lived on Fitzhubert road just the top side of Cary Road but left the Manor in 1961 returning in 1968. Do you remember Marilyn Sears that lived on the Crecscent and Mrs Reynolds?

Yes I lived on fretson rd across from a pub I lived on bottom house on lefT side

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 18:23 ----------

Does anybody know Wendy Humphrey fron 76 Allison crescent

---------- Post added 18-05-2016 at 18:26 ----------

Does anybody know Wendy Humphrey she lived at 76 Allison crescent

Tried this before but it was a while ago. Can anyone remember Steven Hammond from Queen Mary Rd (I think that was the road), he would be about 60 now. We went to school together in the early 70s (Bents Green). Would like to know how he's been.

janjan pub was manor hotel  and still is we lived top house right side near play ground back ov pub

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 10:04, 1789a said:

This is interesting, for me at least.

I used to go trainspotting in the sixties and regularly bumped into a group of lads from the Manor amongst whom I remember the names Paul Fenton, Ronnie Onions (I don't know if that's his real name either) and Alan Dagnall. Be interesting to know what happened to them all. There was a slightly older lad who knocked around with them who had a camera (rarity in those impoverished times). I was included in a number of photographs that he took at Darnall, Doncaster and both Sheffield stations and I'd be happy to see the results some 50-odd years later.

I was at secondary school with a Desforges. His dad was a policeman and the lad had been to St Theresa's school on Prince of Wales Road so I guess he's the same family.

I think the Fenton you're thinking of is Kenny Fenton. He knocked around with Alan Dagnall who I've recently been in touch with. Hadn't seen him since 1963. The older lad with the camera I think is Jimmy Noonan who lived on Harborough Avenue, I remember him getting a camera and taking pictures at Darnall Shed and Doncaster.  He later went on to be a train driver on the Woodhead route.

On 18/05/2016 at 13:08, Janjan25 said:

Does anybody know Wendy Humphrey she lived at 76 Allison crescent

I know her real well!  She's my sister.  Now spends her time between Knowle and the Bournemouth area, and occasionally visits us in Canada!

Does anyone remember the Lacey family?  Harry and Florence with children Trudy, Harry, Florence, and Margaret?

18 hours ago, trastrick said:

I know her real well!  She's my sister.  Now spends her time between Knowle and the Bournemouth area, and occasionally visits us in Canada!

Oh hum!

Wrong Wendy Humphries!  My sister lived at 169 Harborough , in the 60s and 70s!

Edited by trastrick

Would anyone know the cockayne’s? 

Large family, Dennis cockayne would be the father, sons Philip, Michael, and peter, and derek. Daughters Susan, lynn, 

On 08/03/2011 at 21:29, maggie007 said:

what about dennis france he was the biggest rascal of them all got my sister pregnant then ran away to sea. he also had a brother david . the last i heard of dennis he was doing time for armed robbery

Both David and Dennis are sadly no longer with us 

#Philip Glenn

Hey up Phil.  Corner of Fretson Road and Motehall Road was a playground for us. Many a misscheif created and played there. Upsetting the neighbours and building go carts from old pram bottoms.

Trying to smoke dried privet leaves and scrounging tab ends of everybody..

There was only one Philip Glennon on the Manor.

There was only one me too! 

See if you can guess who I am?

I went for the Royal Marines Military School of Music in Deal, Kent. You (I think) for the Royal Engineers at the careers office under the market on the same day..

Walked everywhere, Norman Wisdom comes to mind trying to act as daft as him..