Did You Live On The Manor Estate In The 50s And 60s?

I bet that was one of my scams to get to the clinic at prince edwards worth it i used to take two hours .Another one was rubbing egg shells into our skin off to the clinic with our leg infections lovely afternoon off school ha

Hi Janet,

How's the legs?

Prince Edward's would have been the last place that I would have wanted to go. I had to be dragged to to the dental clinic there.

I hated mr haige he used to pull me to the front of class with my nose it hurt.One day he gave me the cane and my hand swelled up my mum walked into class and told him off.When i got home she hit me for distrupting class.I never told her again when i got into trouble

Hi again Janet,

Presumably more visits to Prince Edwards.

Don't have many memories of Mr. Haigh, other than his deep voice, "1 o'clock shadow" and he was always "re-arranging" himself.

I see you learnt the lesson that most of us of our generation learnt, that you didn't tell your parents that you had been in trouble at school. If you did it was "double trouble" i.e. a telling off or pushment from your parents.

Hi babsy,

How and where did Janet try to fly?

Standhouse school ,off a box in the playground,still laugh about it even now.

Hi again Janet,

Don't have many memories of Mr. Haigh, other than his deep voice, "1 o'clock shadow" and he was always "re-arranging" himself.

I see you learnt the lesson that most of us of our generation learnt, that you didn't tell your parents that you had been in trouble at school. If you did it was "double trouble" i.e. a telling off or pushment from your parents

Hi again Janet,

I see you learnt the lesson that most of us of our generation learnt, that you didn't tell your parents that you had been in trouble at school. If you did it was "double trouble" i.e. a telling off or pushment from your parents

I never knew Mr Haigh re-arranged himself glad i didnt i would probably had said something.I remember buying him a present when he left .Probably glad to see the back of him.

Hi Janet,

How's the legs?

Prince Edward's would have been the last place that I would have wanted to go. I had to be dragged to to the dental clinic there.

I swear they did fillings but gave nothing for the pain can you remember ever having a needle .I used to scream when they drilled a nerve i have been terriefied of dentist all my life i blame them still .But Sandra Brown ,DianeClarke, and myself did anything to get our trip out calling for some sweets on one of our mothers weekley book till we got caught happy days.

I swear they did fillings but gave nothing for the pain can you remember ever having a needle .I used to scream when they drilled a nerve i have been terriefied of dentist all my life i blame them still.

I didn't have any fillings, but had an extraction once. I had gas, and when I came round I didn't know if I was on this earth or Fuller's Earth. I was then lead into a room with a row of sinks to wash the blood out of my mouth.There were kids crying and blood everywhere:gag:.

It looked like a school for young Draculas.

I never went to the school dentist again.

I think school clinic dentists of that time,scared a lot of people from going to the dentists when they got older,very different from the dentists of today.

just to let you know i recieved a message yesterday asking how i finished up in u.s.a.i live up the road on birley.

wondered why I hadn't seen you for ages,now I know.:hihi:

Anyone remember charlie spriggs on fitzhubert rd in the fiftys.

I knew a Mick Rodgers when we were at Standhouse in the late 50's.... he lived on Basildene... I lived at 197 Queen Mary. My mates in that part of QM between Payler Close and Queen Mary Crescent were Barry Freeman, Georgie Doors, Eileen Bland, Kathleen Bland, Graham Draycott, Barry Hayes, Keith Chapman from Waltheof and others I just can't remember now.... reading these threads does give my memory a work out though!! Cheers from Oz but made in Sheffield!!

I remember the big flagstones and we used to sit on them and watch the football match from behind the goal. It was as if we had free grandstand tickets! Miss Warren I remember too, as she had me and Alan Rooker in her office one day for "Waggin it"( playing truant, to non Sheffielders) A few days before, the school bobby had called at our house and like a fool I answered the door!:loopy: Me and Alan had been upstairs playing with a Meccano set all day.The bobby was a small squat bloke with a bowler hat, umbrella and a moustache and when he caught us I thought it was the end of the world! I remember the shelters too, and what we got up to in them is best kept quiet, especially after we discovered girls.

Hi there. Does anyone remember a Ronnie Parks who lived on Pipworth Road and went Pipworth School in the 1950's.We are the Warrenders and lived on the circle for a while before exchanging with the Unwin family and moving to the Manor Park, Harborough Avenue. I used to be friends with Ann Wheelhouse and Lynne Buxton of Fretson Road.