Did You Live On The Manor Estate In The 50s And 60s?

what about the wilcocs who were on manor hastilar road?

I grew up on the Manor and went to Pipworth Road School. I remember Wilkinson and Smedleys chippie, Bates Beer Off, the Co-op and I still know my mum's share number. I loved going on the fields behind the school, then going into the woods, where we could play all day long and be safe. I remember walking thro' the woods down to Highhazels park at Darnall, then walking all the way back home again as we had no money for bus fare, even if we had money for bus fares we would still walk there and back and spend the money on sweets. Is it just me or were they happier days back then, when everyone was the same, with parents who worked hard for little money. No need for designer this or that or having the best toys or games. We managed to play quite happily with next to nothing, we weren't bored and definately there was no vandalism. I'm glad I grew up then and not today.

My Nan and Grandad lived on Ravencarr Place and my Gran and Grandad lived on Archdale Road :)

*I lived on Desmond Crescent until 75 when I got married and left.

My memory is a bit rusty where is Desmond Crescent :rolleyes::)

Yeah, your right, it was a time when you felt safe, and I too used the woods a lot at the back of the school at Pipworth, and then into the woods...great time. I can also remember collecting coal off the back of the lorries at the back of the school too...can you remember them? ha ha what a laugh..

Do you know the Glennons off Fretson Road, opposite the Motehall Inn pub?

Phil

hi

dont know if you any 1 can help but im try to track down a family member who ran a green grocers at manor top in 1983/4.

can any1 help

I grew up on the Manor and went to Pipworth Road School. I remember Wilkinson and Smedleys chippie, Bates Beer Off, the Co-op and I still know my mum's share number. I loved going on the fields behind the school, then going into the woods, where we could play all day long and be safe. I remember walking thro' the woods down to Highhazels park at Darnall, then walking all the way back home again as we had no money for bus fare, even if we had money for bus fares we would still walk there and back and spend the money on sweets. Is it just me or were they happier days back then, when everyone was the same, with parents who worked hard for little money. No need for designer this or that or having the best toys or games. We managed to play quite happily with next to nothing, we weren't bored and definately there was no vandalism. I'm glad I grew up then and not today.

Now you're bringing the memories back. I used to play football on all the pitches that were behind Pipworth Road School. I think the bypass from the M1 to the city center eventually went through about four of them on both sides of Prince of Wales Road. Old fashioned football boots with nails sticking up in my feet from the leather knock in studs.The ball made of leather and soaked in dubbin to make it waterproof.....it wasn't... and was nearly always egg shaped.:hihi: Trying to head a wet football in those days was like getting hit on the head with a rubber mallet :D: At a certain time of year the woods at the back of the school were always covered in bluebells :smile: Fond memories of a safer time in Sheffield, especially for kids.

Desmond Crescent was just off Beaumont Road. First there was Alison Crescent, Then Desmond Crescent It was quite a long road, went from Pipworth Road right down in a semicircle down towards Woodthorpe. I lived nearer Pipworth Road. I remember the Woods being full of bluebells also me and my friends knew where to get chestnuts from and where the best blackberry and raspberry bushes were and eating then before they were washed, full of god knows what insects, but back then we did not care. Oooh happy days!!!

my mum lived on manor and went to the girls school at top of prince of wales rd,her name was carol benn,her sister was maureen and brother gilbert,my mum was a right naughty kid and used to fight often with wyborn kids.