Flat places to run in sheffield

hello

i'm a runner and have just moved to sheff

I live very close to manor top.. and hate treadmills

(Also i hate that you can not park at ponds forge for free, when being a member) - damn you ponds

anyways, if i want to run, say 10k or 10mile... from home

I have to run down a massive hill, and up a massive hill to end, whichever direction i go in....... i know its good training, thou puts you off a lot

my question, is there any flat parts of sheffield, where there are not to many roads ? and is more then say, 2 miles.... (could loop)

Haha! you must be joking!

Sorry, had to laugh...

If you drive over to Damflask you can run round the lake and it is fairly flat. Or run round Ladybower reservoir.

Rother Valley isn`t too far from you. A loop around the 2 lakes is almost 5k and dead flat. It`s a popular spot for runners and bikers but you the official car park does cost. There are other places you can park just off the A57 though.

park at endcliffe park, run through there, into bingham park you can get all the way to the forge dam. Its stunning woodland and pretty flat.

down by the canal.....you can run from town centre out to Rotherham and beyond!

hello

i'm a runner and have just moved to sheff

I live very close to manor top.. and hate treadmills

(Also i hate that you can not park at ponds forge for free, when being a member) - damn you ponds

anyways, if i want to run, say 10k or 10mile... from home

I have to run down a massive hill, and up a massive hill to end, whichever direction i go in....... i know its good training, thou puts you off a lot

my question, is there any flat parts of sheffield, where there are not to many roads ? and is more then say, 2 miles.... (could loop)

park at endcliffe park, run through there, into bingham park you can get all the way to the forge dam. Its stunning woodland and pretty flat.

I'd agree. The incline from Endcliffe Park to Forge Dam is hardly noticeable. :)

Paul unfortunately you do need to drive to find flat and rother valley is flat"if a little boring Tto run), damflask is an excellent choice, the canal is good but can get muddy in places but shef town centre To rotherham is 6miles and is a good out & back route.

But seeing as you are now in sheffield you should embrace the hills, they really do make you a better, stronger and faster runner. when i race in other flatter towns and cities i fly up hills that are bumps to what you get in the steel city.

don't forget if you learn to appreciate the hills then the peak district has many a fantastic run.

i'm kinda starting to like hills... but they are so bloddy hard lol....

and i am just getting used to them with a 10k loop involing city road and granage hill/road..... perhaps not the easyest starting point

i do work in rotherham... so perhaps i will try the canal route(one day even run to work), and also check out those parks.. i suppose i also could bike to rother valley, lock up and run round, then bike back (Asumming they are good lock up points.....

and as you say, it makes you faster... i recently returned to my flat home town and got a sub45 10k... and beat 2 people i never had before, they were shocked to say the least

grrrrrrrr @ traffic on parkway.. 45mins in a car the other day to get to rotherham work

i did it on my push bike in 33mins a few weeks back

down with cars lol

thanks for the info

Did you ever work for an outfit called KRS? Bit random, but we may have worked together!

Actually there is also the blue loop. 6-7mile long running along the 5wiers walk and then back along the canal. the best place to go is into a running shop on attercliff road called accelerate, ask for stu or debs who may have a map for you. it is all flat trail with two road crossing. you can park near the shop or in meadowhell if you want to start there

haha, yes i know the running shop... you dont work there do you

yes, i used to work at krs.. small world eh