Damp proofing & removal advice/DPC/recommendations MEGATHREAD

I am new to this site but would suggest going to where the photo is stored, right click and copy, then back to quick reply and right click paste?

Mmmm

That doesn't work - should have checked first - it normally does so will ask a moderator

Do you want to send me a seperate email to [email protected] so I can have a look at your photos?

Ta

Reply from moderator (v quick - good on you) :

"Hi Stuart

The answer is pretty much no. Photos are only allowed in the photography group section. I don't really know why, I guess it is probably to do with bandwidth.

Most people upload their photos elsewhere and then link to them"

I understand what he is saying as my camera can take pics up to 10mb which take a while to download and will slow the system

So will check out photo section - bowl of fruit ....... sunset ........ budgie

Upload photos to photobucket.com then paste a link in a post here.

hi

the best thing to do with rising damp

is to remove a metre of plaster and fix a platon membrane and bond and finish plaster,

Hi as mjhal say the best way to cure this is Platon p5 i find it excellent and have never had a recall. Can i just ask you say you have had the damp proof injection done and this has not stopped it! i would place a bet that they have injected the motor and not the brick seen this so many times. If you need any more help please feel free to call 07931729011

kind regards Paul

Hi,

Still looking forward to photos to give more informed advice

To mjhal and paul12345678 - the best way to deal with rising damp is to inject a damp proof course properly and at the right level both externally and internally, and replaster to remove salt contaminated plaster, using a suitable plaster depending on the dpc manufacturers recommendations. Instead you both recommend covering the damp with a membrane, but if pressure is there it often finds its way around the barrier and at the same time causes more damage to timber and plaster than before, and can give rise to dry rot in addition

Concerning injecting into mortar (not motor) joints - you should know that is the correct practice if there are blue bricks or to a rubble filled wall

Uklarka - if you cannot upload photos, please feel free to call me on 07716 021145 or 0114 2665107 to arrange a visit

i have been using platon for about 15yrs now

and not had one call back

i am a approved triton installer

For anyone interested in what we are discussing here - let me elaborate :

Platon is a material which is fixed onto a damp wall and is double skinned so allows water to run off down to the bottom and is drained away. Triton is the manufacturer

This is a more hi-tech system than other similar ones such as Newtonite lath from years ago which was a simple physical barrier to damp

I can see a market for big projects where drainage can be installed as part of the works, but fro retro-fitting into the domestic environment I cannot see it as a suitable alternative

mjhal - over the 15 years of installing it can you provide photos of where it has been installed succesfully to enable your prospective clients to decide?

i am only advising the forum user, not quoting for the work,

i use this all the time in cellar conversions

and a metre high for rising damp

as you know with rising damp, you only have to use it to a metre high above ground,

i am not keen on injection system

as a lot of people using this system do not do it properly, and i have had instances where i have spent alot of time injecting the outside , then removing skirting board on the inside and injecting the inside for it to fail

I'm not trying to score points here but surely the triton type membrane is intended to divert the ingress of water / damp. I have used it myself in cellar conversions in conjunction with the channel,sump and pump configuration. I can see how it would work to stop ingress above ground, my worry is, where does the water go?

The membrane itself is also bound to create some interstitial condensation which would create even more moisture to be dripping somewhere. Please tell me, not on to the joist ends?

when fitting platon to the wall the channels on the back of it allows air circulation,

then allowing the condensation---damp to dry naturally