Castle market- going or gone!

Is sheffield castle market still there? Are the castle ruins going to be excavated?

I don't live in sheffield now so can't pop down town to see whats going on!

yes it's still there, but many of the stalls are unoccupied, and it has a bit of a run-down feel to it these days.

There is talk of excavating and exposing the castle stones, which I think would be brilliant!

It certainly seems run-down whenever I go there, as does the immediate area around it. There have been redevelopment proposals "since the 1980s" according to the Wikipedia article, and apparently the Council now plan "to demolish the existing complex and open up a pedestrian route from the city centre to the Victoria Docks area and the new Riverside Quarter, now that the ring road has been diverted". I guess this might include the opening-up of the castle ruins, which would be nice as PT wrote. Maybe?.:)

theres already a long running thread / arguement on the subject of the markets closure if you fancy doing a search

theres already a long running thread / arguement on the subject of the markets closure if you fancy doing a search[/quote

There was but it got closed due to vindictiveness.

theres already a long running thread / arguement on the subject of the markets closure if you fancy doing a search

There was but it got closed due to vindictiveness.

still be interesting for the op to read tho

still be interesting for the op to read tho

Tried to get it reopened but no joy from the mods a shame because most people were very interested.

Thank you for all my replies.It has answerd what I wanted to know.I will look at the previous threads.I did try to look at them before writing my thread but nothing seemed to tell me what I wanted to know.

It would be nice for the ruins to be opened up and for the area to be pedestrianised but I need to get use to the diversion road first! I find it hellish and live in fear of driving through 'bus gates'everytime I visit Sheffield!I ended up driving down a one way street the wrong way one night,a few years ago now!

I had always wanted to visit the castle ruins but never got round to it.

Pity about the market traders though. Hope they have somewhere else to move to soon. It did look run down 25 years ago so after over 50 years(since it was built) it must look even worse.

sheffiel city centre is like a ghost town now, so depressing!!!!!

Mark Ociepko who i believe runs a stall at the Rammel Market on Exchange Street every Monday has written a letter in todays Star bemoaning the fact that the council do not care about the loss of Sheffields traditional trading areas.

Well Mark all power to your elbow and better late than never but! What was needed is for all the Market traders and customers to stand up and be counted before the Council and there so called historian coherts got there way and decided to DESTROY Sheffields historical trading centre so as a minority can play at tin soldiers.

Really?

Is this recent?

The last time I was there (about 3 months ago) Fargate to the Moor was chock a block.

Mark Ociepko who i believe runs a stall at the Rammel Market on Exchange Street every Monday has written a letter in todays Star bemoaning the fact that the council do not care about the loss of Sheffields traditional trading areas.

Well Mark all power to your elbow and better late than never but! What was needed is for all the Market traders and customers to stand up and be counted before the Council and there so called historian coherts got there way and decided to DESTROY Sheffields historical trading centre so as a minority can play at tin soldiers.

Here we go again :roll:

The market WILL be gone very soon :)