Owls vs Blades matchthread.

A very poor derby, a great day out again spoilt by 90mins........

As a Wednesday fan I actually couldnt agree more ..... terrible game great day out ...... oh and I was on Hillsboro corner one plastic bottle of beer hit the tram aside from that just lots of shouting .... all blown out of proportion

Wednesday are a bad footballing team,would not pay t watch that football every week,how we lost that match i will never know,rubbish team...

Went to the game as a neutral, and really enjoyed it. Moved to Hillsborough last summer so thought I should get along to the Derby.

Been to plenty of big matches (Barca/Man Utd/England etc) and this was up there in terms of noise, although it dipped in the 2nd half.

I thought United were clearly better in the first half, with Evans and Quinn causing some problems and some neat play around the box had Wednesday scrambling about. There were times where Wednesday weren't anywhere near them. Regarding the penalty shouts, I thought they would have been harsh if given - they looked very soft. I thought there was some play acting from United at times.

In the second half Wednesday got a lot tighter to United and Semedo really bossed things at times. The winger (Antonio?) looked good, but he was no Ben Marshall who I was massively impressed with when I went to the Tranmere game at Christmas.

The goal was well worked and finished, and although United put the pressure on towards the end I thought they looked a little one-dimensional. A score draw would have probably been the fairest result.

Also, if you thought that match was bad football you should try being a Southend fan in League 2 - there is a huge gulf in class between the top of L1 and L2!! Hopefully one of the Sheffield teams will be around in L1 if we go up!!:D

Wednesday are a bad footballing team,would not pay t watch that football every week,how we lost that match i will never know,rubbish team...

Having made that statement based on watching us in the derby, I could say the same about united.

You played no better than us in both derby games.

And I think you'll find, yesterday, the one good footballing move won the match. A move played by Wednesday. :D

p.s. how did you lose that match. You answered it above - rubbish team.

My 3 bolds -

1 - rubbish

2 - rubbish

3 - If you'd not been lucky with the rebound off the post straight to Quinn in the game at the lane you'd have lost that game 2-1 etc. etc. etc.

And speaking of Quinn - what a dispicable cheat. The ref called the game to a halt because you had two men down (wrongly in my eyes). We were between your 18 yard box and the corner flag with 2 v 2. And when play resumes through a drop ball Quinn runs 30 yards towards our goal and plays it back to the middle of our half. That's just pathetic. He should have put it straight out for a throw there or played it from where the drop ball was.

I wouldn't be be proud of him if he were in my team.

I didn't want to go into supposed cheating.... But as you brought it up....

Your player went down in injury time, without even a touch. Play was stopped for 1 and a half minutes and not added on to the end....

That is only one highlighted part.... There's more. We can all go with finger pointing, and forget the actions of our own players.

So don't start with the all high and mighty as they're as guilty as each other.

As for the 3 pen claims being 'rubbish' care to elaborate?

One was a body check, clear penalty, another the owls player was trying to make out with Evans.... The other Williamson went down easy, but there's still contact.

Had they been outside the area, all 3 would have been given.

Now now Missy...I've posted on here maybe half a dozen times since Chrimbo, and we weren't pants then.

I've also been quite complimentary about United today too, that's the team in red and white stripes if you were wondering having not seen them since Cantors were the sponsors! :D;)

Who ??? :P:D

The cheek !!!! Now bugger off for a few more weeks :P

Your player went down in injury time, without even a touch. Play was stopped for 1 and a half minutes and not added on to the end....

That is only one highlighted part.... There's more. We can all go with finger pointing, and forget the actions of our own players.

One was a body check, clear penalty, another the owls player was trying to make out with Evans.... The other Williamson went down easy, but there's still contact.

I can't remember any incidents that would have led to a penalty being awarded for either team.

No one is safe so yes its very close cheeky - dont go getting too cocky hun.

Yeah right - It ain't over till the fat lady sings:

Well maybe not quite so fat but she is a lady who sings.

What a day........

4 points from this so-called footballing side, not bad considering the form we've shown in previous weeks....

That HOOF chant LOL......The irony when United started spraying the ball in every direction, the pressure had got to them...

One thing i witnessed yesterday is, United go missing in the big games... fingers crossed for that all Sheffiekl play-off final

I think the game was refereed very well. It did seem that Utd were trying to get to Semedo...maybe if he took a booking it would help them in midfield. Players were going down very easily and it seems the referee got used to it. Still doesnt mean I agreed with every decision but overall I think he managed it well. Especially the Jones incident. I expected him to be sent off until the guy next to me said it was a reaction to the Utd players actions...I guess the ref was told this. Throwing the ball in Redas face was also petty, he throws at his hands and its a free kick as the ref pointed out. There were plenty of bookings out there for both sides but I think the ref, for one, noted the fixture for what it is. How many times has a derby gone by without a single card?

I think Wednesday defended well throughout until the last 5 minutes. Who had the free header at the end? The free kick was very unlucky too. Regarding the penalty shouts, I think they were looked for them. Whenever anybody goes down in the area you dread the refs decision but in my opinion he got it right, nothing in it. If I see them again, I'd honestly say whether or not I still think he got it right but we've had very low coverage of the game this time so have only seen the free kick and goal.

United DID hoof it hell of a lot compared to what we are led to believe on here, difference is I think Wednesday have the players to deal with it where Utd dont. I was happy to go in 0-0 half time but always feared Utd would get one so for O'Grady to score was a relief.

People say 'terrible game' and 'scruffy match'. Well its a derby, a Sheffield derby...youre not gonna get 'proper' football played, its more about the passion and desire to win. It seemed Wednesday wanted it just a little bit more than Utd, maybe it was more of a need with all the speculation and league position.

I did find the final whistle strange though, nobody knew what was happening. But it was Wednesdays day!

Time not added on is the ref, not down to us.

Another poster (neutral) posts on here that they believed United teased Wednesday round the box with intricate play that had us tied up. I don't entirely disagree - but it was clear that there was little intention to use this for footballing purpose - you were simply trying to draw us into free kicks (which almost worked) by ridiculous diving so you could shoot/hoof it into the box. Not the ethics of a great footballing side.

I'll elaborate on the penalities when I see them in more detail. No doubt some refs would have been 'conned' by the diving. Fortunately not this one.

No one can take it away from Wednesday this was a very good result for them, I am sure they would have rather had the nine points United got out the last four games and after the novelty of yesterdays result has gone the reality of possibly another season at this level will set in.