Overcharged on First bus, getting refund?

Last week, I went down to Woodseats with my partner and the kids. On way home, baby needed changing, and toddler got tired, so we decided to get the bus from the bottom of Scarsdale Road (opposite Abbey glass) up to the Co Op on Derbyshire Lane, a lazy 3 stops, but we needed to be quick.

I knew this journey used to be 85p, and knew from SF that it would have gone up to £1 in January, so I asked for two £1 fares. Driver said "Noooo, there isn't a £1 on this route, its £1.70, theres never been £1, its in zones you see love". After a short debate, I gave him his £3.40. Looked at the ticket, and it said 'Heeley Farezone to Lees Hall Golf Club' - I was pretty sure 'Heeley Farezone' ends at Matalan, or Homebase at the very latest, so I rang First when I got home to query it. They confirmed it should indeed have been a £1 fare, and said they would get a manager to contact me within 10 days.

They have now contacted me, and have said they will interview the driver to make sure he is clear on policy and fare stages, and to make sure it won't happen again.

Now, thats all well and good, but what about the money I paid? I know its only £1.40, but £1.40 on top of what should have been £2 is a lot, and what about all the other money that gets overcharged every day? Do they just pocket it all? I was expecting something a little more than just an apology and a promise of interviewing the driver. Where would I stand if I requested a refund?

To be honest I think you've done pretty well so far, they actually followed through with calling you back. A first for First in my experience.

I wouldn't hold your breath about the refund though and I agree with you, it's not about the amount it's about the principle

Guest busdriver1

They have now contacted me, and have said they will interview the driver to make sure he is clear on policy and fare stages, and to make sure it won't happen again.

Now, thats all well and good, but what about the money I paid? I know its only £1.40, but £1.40 on top of what should have been £2 is a lot, and what about all the other money that gets overcharged every day? Do they just pocket it all? I was expecting something a little more than just an apology and a promise of interviewing the driver. Where would I stand if I requested a refund?

If a ticket was issued the driver can not keep the money so it sounds like a mistake. If you request a refund you will almost certainly get one. Despite some of the comments on here First are actually quite good in these situations, its just people dont tend to shout when things get put right.

Just try and break from the norm on here and let us know if they do sort it out.

He definitely didn't pocket it, and I wasn't suggesting he had, I was asking if First keep the money of everyone they know have been overcharged when they complain.

The driver just hadn't changed his fare zone, and I was trying to point this out to him, but he seemed totally clueless as to the fact that I KNEW this fare was only £1, so he was doing something wrong, and he just said the zone goes from Heeley to Hemsworth, with nothing in between, which I knew was wrong, as Heeley farezone stops at Matalan. For him to tell me there was no £1 fare on this route at all (20a) when again, I KNOW I've paid 85p many times before, was rather insulting.

Guest busdriver1
He definitely didn't pocket it, and I wasn't suggesting he had, I was asking if First keep the money of everyone they know have been overcharged when they complain.

The driver just hadn't changed his fare zone, and I was trying to point this out to him, but he seemed totally clueless as to the fact that I KNEW this fare was only £1, so he was doing something wrong, and he just said the zone goes from Heeley to Hemsworth, with nothing in between, which I knew was wrong, as Heeley farezone stops at Matalan. For him to tell me there was no £1 fare on this route at all (20a) when again, I KNOW I've paid 85p many times before, was rather insulting.

My missunderstanding then. Not in time for this case I know, but soon all the fare stages will be set by sat nav, this will prevent this type of incident. Definitely chase them up though you will probably get a free day ticket or similar from them. That is the normal thing in these cases.

Guest busdriver1
Why oh why don't operators like First scrap the fare stages and introduce a simple flat fare.

I am sure when it costs the same to run a bus 10 miles as it does 1 mile they will.

I am sure when it costs the same to run a bus 10 miles as it does 1 mile they will.

Yes but I'm sure over the course of the route it would all even it's self out.

Say charge a flat fare of £1.50, £1.75 maybe £2.00. You will get people going the whole route, some of the route or just a couple of stops.

Guest busdriver1
Yes but I'm sure over the course of the route it would all even it's self out.

Say charge a flat fare of £1.50, £1.75 maybe £2.00. You will get people going the whole route, some of the route or just a couple of stops.

So you would pay £2 for two stops? this forum would go into melt down if that was proposed

So you would pay £2 for two stops? this forum would go into melt down if that was proposed

Sort term I'm sure there would be one or 2 rants but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Having a simple flat fare and install secure fare boxes would make things well simpler.

A flat fare seems to work just fine on London buses. Cash it's £2.30 or Oyster Card it's £1.35.

Edited by dvp82