Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

a nice theory, however in the real world it wouldn't work, simply because the added traffic would cause massive amounts of increased congestion which would be massively damaging to the economy. Congestion cost the economy over 20 billion in 2006 a figure that has since continued to increase.

(my last post seems to have vanished :suspect:)

Anyway, who would you like to see taken off the roads?

Assuming you are a car owner, would you like to be taken off the road?

In my own personal situation, the only way I could do without a car would be to give up working altogether, so in effect the taxpayer would have to pay for my life/housing/food.

That is literally the only way I could get rid of my own car outright, and I'm guessing many other workers are in exactly the same boat

a nice theory, however in the real world it wouldn't work, simply because the added traffic would cause massive amounts of increased congestion which would be massively damaging to the economy. Congestion cost the economy over 20 billion in 2006 a figure that has since continued to increase.

(mmm its appeared here - mods, can you delete this post please?) thats strange - whats happening?

Who would you stop from using the roads?

Would you be happy to stop using your car? (I'm assuming you are a car owner)

its not about who id like to see taken off the roads, end of the day its going to happen, and as always the poorest in society will be impacted upon the worse.

No I don't want to stop using my car, but at the same time im not stupid enough to think that government can or will cut fuel duty by 50p, it simply wouldn't be possible.

Fuel prices are rising because the the price of oil is increasing world wide, high demand of a diminishing resource equals a high price... that's a fact. Fuel companies wont lower their prices, they don't need to, if our whole country stopped buying fuel they would not care, demand is high they wouldn't have any problems selling it on.

Fuel tax has hardly risen in the past ten years, the fuel duty escalator was scrapped many years ago, the increasing price from around 2000 has not been increasing tax levels but increasing world oil price.

Fact is the UK is car dependent this dependence needs to be reduced which has been recognised for many years or another form of transport needs to implemented.

The oil companies wouldn't miss the UK's income? Are you crazy? It wouldn't sink them, it wouldn't have them eating beans on toast for the forseeable future but it would really, really hurt them.

I didnt say they wouldn't miss it but do you really think the UK's 60 million people and economy really compares to the massive populations of growing economies of china, India, Brazil etc that's why the fuel price is rising because of their development which is only going to increase, too many people not enough oil.

why are fuel prices so high when oil is at a 15 month low!??

I actually thought prices were at their lowest for a few months...

It was over 140 a couple of months ago, now it's down to 129 in some places.

Was going to put greed by the petrol companies is the only answer. But the main problem lies with the amount of tax the goverment puts on the fuel.

Edited by Bluelight

Why not start saving up for an electric car? Prices are set to come down rapidly over the next few years.

Because there's more than the cost of crude involved in the price of petrol..