Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

The average spend in a year running a car is over £6000. The only way that fuel prices will be held back, is if drivers become less reliant on their cars or do less journeys and this will peg prices back because if the price gets too high it can have the opposite effect when it comes to profit.

How do you get that figure ? I do 25k miles in a year in a van and my fuel costs are about 4ish and insurance about 800, tax 130. Mot 50, servicing 200 I'm guessing, in terms of milage I'm at the higher end though, and I drive a big van.

If I tootled about in ford fiesta I could half all that no problem at all.

The Israelis will soon be sorting the Iranians out.

Once that little fracas is over and Israel has shown who the boss is in that part of the world, petrol prices will drop

How do you get that figure ? I do 25k miles in a year in a van and my fuel costs are about 4ish and insurance about 800, tax 130. Mot 50, servicing 200 I'm guessing, in terms of milage I'm at the higher end though, and I drive a big van.

That figure of £6000, was according to the TV the other day, and was an average spend for the year.

How do you get servicing at £200, I would have thought doing 25000 miles you would need 2 services a year, unless you do your own.

Hi Danny, am I correct in assuming that you are a students at the University studying some non descript qualification? I'm assuming this, because you seem to have no grasp of the reality many people face.

With regards getting a job at the local Supermarket or Mcdonalds, lets break down this small problem. Lets assume that the people who are replying to this thread (and who appear not to agree with you) are people with bills to pay.

The minimum wage is £6.08 an hour (lets be generous and assume people will be paid £6.50 an hour). So we take a job for 35 hours a week x £6.50 = £227.50, less tax and you come out with about £205 a week. (so £820 a month.

Lets assume that your average mortgage/rent is about £550 a month (cheaper if you want to bring your family up on Parson Cross, but then you play a game of russian roulette with your insurance costs), you now have £270 a month.

Council tax around £120 a month, so you now have £150 a month.

Lets assume our would be workers get rid of their cars and use the bus, a bus pass will cost around £90 a month, and so this leaves £60 a month.

Lets assume people want to buy food and peopel spend £40 a week to feed a family, so thats £160 a month.....whoa.....hang on. we have ran out of money, and we haven't even started putting the gas on yet.

This is probably why for anyone running a family home, your suggestion of getting a job at morrisons is simply unworkable

Dont that tell you the housing market/rent is way too high?

Not really.

Dont most people on minimum wage get tax credits (approx £65) a month and housing benefits (approx £67) a month to supplement their low income.

Assuming this household was a single person with a sole income they would also get a 25% reduction in their council tax.

Of course if they were living with someone else there would be a secondary income, be it through wage or benefits to assist with this £550 a month rent example figure. (if a property of such a high cost was necessary for the amount of people living in it).

Amounts are not as simple as face value.

Edited by ECCOnoob

What I don't understand about fuel prices at the morrisons in hillsborough are 3p more expensive than ecclesfield

Diesel gone up again at Shell on Handsworth Road - last Friday morning was 145.9 and by lunchtime had gone up to 147.9.

What I don't understand about fuel prices at the morrisons in hillsborough are 3p more expensive than ecclesfield

Asda @ Rotherham= diesel 143.9 pence per litre

I think you will find that that might be due to the fact that BP and Londis (Texaco) in that area are always very highly priced. It's all to do with the "area" and factors like what the others are charging. Area cartel springs to mind.