Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

i agree with the price increase, this way people will think more careful before they make a trip, much better for planet earth, if we raise the duty more then the goverment will have more £££ to play with, we should raise it to £2-£3 a litre so people will use bus/train/bike/walk more

have you just landed from mars?

We don't have factories,pits and industry locally for everyone to work locally anymore,people now are having to travel to find work and unless you hav3 another brainstorm better than the one above,its going to get worse.

The reward for these workers getting off their arses and working for a living is being heavily penilised for using what in many cases is the only transport that is available to do the job which is their car which makes your suggestion a tax on workers.

Were not far off the point where going to work will be uneconomically viable for many,what do you suggest these people should do to feed their families?

If the last government hadn't squandered all our money then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess but the fact is we are and pricing people out of work through high fuel prices isn't going to help anyone.

I wonder how many times you moan that your shopping has gone up in price?If you Havnt you soon would implementing your tosh!

Edited by Xt500

i agree with the price increase, this way people will think more careful before they make a trip, much better for planet earth, if we raise the duty more then the goverment will have more £££ to play with, we should raise it to £2-£3 a litre so people will use bus/train/bike/walk more
And the fuel goes upto £2 - £3 per litre don't you think every thing else will go up. How do you suppose stores get there food stocks etc, they just magically appear. Fuel goes up everything else goes up including bus fares.:loopy:

After agree, fuel costs are directly linked to inflation.

People are having to look further afielf for work, so travel expenses are higher

Food is costing more money

Always the case in summer, the petrol companies cashing in on us trying to use our cars for leisure.

The cost of living in general will make everyone (apart from the stinking rich of course) just have an existance.

At some point we will either be claiming universal credit or on the national minimum wage just scraping enough together to exist. No one will have any disposable income to buy the expensive things that make the econommy tick.

Who will the chinese export to if no one has a disposable income in the western economies?

What effect do you think that will have on the price of goods? Everything you buy( even your bike) will have travelled in a van or on a lorry in this country and they use fuel... :roll: Won't bus and train fares have to increase as well? Looks like we'll all be walking then..

What effect do you think that will have on the price of goods? Everything you buy( even your bike) will have travelled in a van or on a lorry in this country and they use fuel... :roll: Won't bus and train fares have to increase as well? Looks like we'll all be walking then..

So you think it is fair for places like India, Pakistan, China to work for peanuts while people in UK earn more money on the dole? instead of complaining about cost, we should start by sorting out the goverment spending and balancing the income to complete against other countries.

They have to get the money from somewhere to pay for education, nhs, arm forces benefits etc etc, where do you think the money comes from? if they cut tax on fuel they have to put it on something else, petrol can be counted as luxury since you can use buses/tram for most of your needs

So you are saying that it is ok to cut the tax rate for the high earners, the people who can afford the rising price of fuel?

There are some that favour high fuel duty, but this is self defeating.

If I spend a greater percentage of my net income (and for many people it is a high percentage) on petrol getting to and from work, I then cannot spend my money within other businesses.

As a censequence, many businesses lose money because instead of spending wages in shops, on services or other items people are forever putting petrol in their car to get to and from work.

businesses lose money and so cannot take on additional staff (so no help for those on the dole queue). Businesses take less money so employees take a pay freeze and as a consequence, these people cannot spend money in other peoples businesses.

Many small businesses go to the wall, and many people lose their jobs and so we now have to pay benefits to people who have lost their jobs because people are not spending. Taxes, then need to go up to cover the cost of keeping additional people on benefits.

BUT THERE IS ANOTHER WAY.....but it won't be popular with the anti car brigade.

Cut fuel duty to 40p, that means petrol is now around 98p a litre.

People now have spare cash which they can then spend in businesses, and so businesses grow. Businesses can now create jobs and take people off benefits.

People are in jobs and are now taxpayers. Businesses take more money and so pay more in tax (YES - THEY PAY MORE IN TAX), so in effect a 40p cut in fuel duty would pay for itself as businesses grow and take more money and pay more tax, and take people off the dole queue.

This is supposed to be a conservative government (ie, friendly to businesses and not feathering the nests of the liberal eliete). If things carry on like this, we may as well put new labout back in charge at the next election.

Not sure it would work like this. If people have a bit of "spare" cash, they are possibly more likely to use it to reduce their outgoings, or paying off debt. That doesn't grow the economy, create jobs or result in tax revenue. i can see why the Chancellor wants to take the cash now.

So you think it is fair for places like India, Pakistan, China to work for peanuts while people in UK earn more money on the dole? instead of complaining about cost, we should start by sorting out the goverment spending and balancing the income to complete against other countries.

What does that have to with increasing costs in this country because of the higher fuel prices you want?..you're off on a tangent here..

HI

what planet are you on,do the bus,s cover every part of it or like me have to walk 5 miles to catch one that only goes to a terminus 5mile from where i want to go

alsothe extra vat he,s collecting should cover that if only they would stop giving it to someone else.

ps

makes me wonder if u yourself contribute.

ive done mine 50 years of it.

I think all he is saying is that for a lot of people ( not all of course) a proportion of spend on fuel is discretionary. Now income tax is also discretionary for high earners - they find a way out of paying it all.

So fuel tax MIGHT be a fairer way of taxing people than it looks at first sight.

I think all he is saying is that for a lot of people ( not all of course) a proportion of spend on fuel is discretionary. Now income tax is also discretionary for high earners - they find a way out of paying it all.

So fuel tax MIGHT be a fairer way of taxing people than it looks at first sight.

its very hard to get those less educated to understand such a simple fact;)

So you are saying that it is ok to cut the tax rate for the high earners, the people who can afford the rising price of fuel?

Why should you take more 50% tax & 11% NI from someone who is earning a lot of money? They study and work bloody hard to get to where they are, Why should we punish the successful? and let the lazy/ low paid/unemployed people milk the system, Why should the clever/hard working people paid for the unemployed house food?

At least with fuel tax we have a choice

Edited by danny128

Whatever happened to that refinery in Humberside that used vegetable oil to made diesel?

I remember back in the early '00s that they were producing it at 2p above pump price so no-one wanted it. I'd buy it if they were still selling it at around 56p/l

Surely modern diesels can accommodate the added lubricity issue that arises from this bio-fuel