Ultimately, a child's education is more important than a holiday

A child's education is more important than a holiday  

96 members have voted

1. 1. A child's education is more important than a holiday

Yes to staggered term times and an end to the holiday peak prices. Yes to shorter, more frequent holidays.

Maybe your parents could afford the the hike in costs over the holiday periods.

Many can't.

Well if they can't afford it, then don't go.

This is why most holiday companies are going bust!

Ultimately, of course a child's education is more important than a holiday. There are a couple of "buts" though.

First of all, the school needs to be providing quality education, right up to the last day of term. That doesn't always happen, in my experience. Standards can slip in the last few days of a term. Lots of parents know this and opt to go away during the last week of term. I can't say that I blame them.

We also need radical reform of the school year. A six week summer holiday is bad for everyone, especially kids and especially kids who get little parental input. A rejig of the school year, making sure that we don't standardise term times across the country, should spread out demand and therefore bring holiday prices down. As a bonus, it will also spread out the workload of students and teachers. What's not to like?

Or increase the more likely case of holidays being priced higher over a longer period.

my children will be took out of school for there holidays simple as.they are aged 4 and 9 .will this really have an effect on their life ,i think not.i work like a donkey to do the best i can for my family and to have a headmaster to say no i cant take them out of school can go and sit on it.if it was gcse time then no but at that age come on get a grip.

Apparently teachers waste a lot of time bringing children who've been taken out of school back up to speed with the rest of the class, and the rest of the class fall behind while the teacher wastes time on the suntanned children.

That doesn't seem fair to me.

Is education more important than holidays? Yes.

Is a single week of education more important than a holiday? No.

Like this post a lot.

Guest sibon
Apparently teachers waste a lot of time bringing children who've been taken out of school back up to speed with the rest of the class, and the rest of the class fall behind while the teacher wastes time on the suntanned children.

A school that I know well has a simple policy to avoid this problem. If parents take a child out of school for a holiday, the parents are responsible for making sure that the child catches up on the work missed. No input from the teachers. No exceptions.

It works too.

I think it's important for children to travel and experience different cultures and ways of life etc but if these proposals go through there will be a lot of people (me and my family) that simply won't be able to afford to take our kids away because of the horrendous hike in prices the travel agencies and airlines stick on at 'peak' times. So unless there's going to be some intervention into this, to stop them inflating the prices so much then I think there could be a lot less people going abroad. I won't take my kids out of school when they are in their final years but I would in the earlier years of their education for the reason that they need to get away, as does the rest of the family and I consider it important for family life. So, I disagree basically.

No more Benidorm will mean the insight into British culture will be stunted.

No they dont-they berate the child for having a holiday.

Well if they can't afford it, then don't go.

You seem to be making a point that's already been made.

but...

It isn't a case of "don't go" but 'can't go'.

Edited by ronthenekred

On the other hand ask any teacher about the behaviour of some kids coming up to the end of the school year and they will jump for joy at the thought that they won't have to put up with them.