Boycott workfare in Sheffield

There was a huge unemployment problem in central Europe in the early 1940's......easily solved. Millions were given free transport to work in German factories in return for free food and housing.

Technically it was slave labour but Siemens, Daimler, Krupp and many other reputable companies were happy to assist in returning many unemployed layabouts to work who would have otherwise been a major drain on resources

There was a huge unemployment problem in central Europe in the early 1940's......easily solved. Millions were given free transport to work in German factories in return for free food and housing.

Technically it was slave labour but Siemens, Daimler, Krupp and many other reputable companies were happy to assist in returning many unemployed layabouts to work who would have otherwise been a major drain on resources

Bad call Ned, really, really bad. If you go back and delete your post I'll delete this one and call it quits.

no, nothing i or many people i suspect than to leave this over crowded , expensive, backward looking country.

we are known as the poor man of Europe and for good reason, what do the french call us, roast beefs? about sums us up

if i had the resources i would leave for a better quality of life tomorrow.

and where better than Germany?. i am a white northern European man.

should fit in well

no, nothing i or many people i suspect than to leave this over crowded , expensive, backward looking country.

we are known as the poor man of Europe and for good reason, what do the french call us, roast beefs? about sums us up

if i had the resources i would leave for a better quality of life tomorrow.

and where better than Germany?. i am a white northern European man.

should fit in well

You seem to be confusing a rather silly comparision of work experience programmes with the Nazi conquest of eastern Europe with the free offer of a job in Germany to anyone who wants it.

thought it finished in 1945 or have i got that wrong??

ohh loved this quote!!.....

Why slave labor workfare now?

The US bosses along with the rest of the capitalist world are in a desperate crisis. Economic competition is intensifying worldwide forcing the bosses to cut costs and produce more. The result is a falling rate of profit. They are in a desperate battle with Chinese, Japanese, French, German, Russian, and other bosses for control of resources and markets. Ultimately this fierce worldwide capitalist competition can only be settled as imperialist rivalry has been decided in the past -- by war. The U.S. ruling class must institute fascism as a way to discipline the working class. They will set us up to march off as cannon fodder and fight other workers so that one or another set of bosses can come out on top. Workfare slave labor is one more fascist weapon in the bosses' arsenal to prepare us for a war to save their profit system.

Just a thought (maybe a bit off topic) but...

If you are on one of the A4E/Cerco etc "providors" mandatory work programmes and you find yourself a job (IE: YOU find the position independantly) does the "providor" still get credit (and funding) because you are then in work??

Anyone know the answer?

OH MY GOD! Its such a shame about this, especially when we had it so good back in the eighties. Back then, I had to do 39 hours a week for £27.30. It was called YTS back then. Before that, it was called a YOP scheme, which was the same. You did a weeks work for no more money than unemployment benefit paid, and it was only for two years maximum, and you wernt guaranteed a job at the end of it. So if Tesco are being roasted for this, shouldnt we have roasted every single firm back in the YTS days? If anything, this is better as it seems to last up to six weeks, so thats 6 weeks work experience someone has got, which might, just might look better on their CV than "Sitting on my asre playing video games" would. Yes yes yes, Tesco are getting something for nothing, and us taxpayers are footing the bill, but we would be footing the bill ANYWAY for the proportion of workshy layabouts who use benefits as a lifestyle choice, rather than getting out there and doing something constructive. And to all the benefit claimants that do want to work, I cannot think of anything better than having a least some work experience in a sector that just keeps growing and growing, ie, the supermarket industry.

i see your point but the majority of us were 16-18 and the going wage for a week for someone of that age was about £35.00 and dont forget the bus fares in those days were 2p and max 10p.. I was on one of those schemes and it was for 6 months and i ended up with a job out of it for 8 years.. bit different now being 47 years of age and being asked to work for £2.25 per hour when the minimum wage is £6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over.

I think the point is if they can take on all these people for 28 days and they dont have to pay them anything why would they employ someone for 6.08 per hour when they have an endless supply of free labour for themselves..

Just a thought (maybe a bit off topic) but...

If you are on one of the A4E/Cerco etc "providors" mandatory work programmes and you find yourself a job (IE: YOU find the position independantly) does the "providor" still get credit (and funding) because you are then in work??

Anyone know the answer?

i was on the A4E new deal in 2010 but i was also attending a place called catch22 where I also did all the maths, English up to level 2 and also NVQ level 2 in ITQ along with various other qualifications that were going.. I also attended there back to work sessions where with there support i was able to gain employment.. A4E i know claimed the money for getting me into a job that was going to last for 6 months as I had to sign a form even though they had done nothing at all for me to gain employment, they were supposed to offer mentoring in work as part of the contract which they did not supply, this was left to catch22 to help me with any problems that i might have had.. I do believe at the moment there is a police investigation into A4E at the moment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103252/Back-work-tsar-centre-fraud-probe-claims-funding-went-jobs-lasting-just-day.html#ixzz1mrFPuhyC

If the DWP turns round and tries to get me on this "scheme", I'll do what I did when I came off the Dole 14 years ago, I'll tell Job Centre Plus they can officially kiss my rear end and I'll carry on with my voluntary work, and if they threaten to take my benefits off me as a result, I'll see them in Court! :rant:

If you're on benefits which is supposedly not enough to survive on how would you intend on taking them to court? oh yes you'd expect the taxpayer to pay for it.

That's the problem with this country everyone expects everything for nothing!

So you believe that the legal system and justice should only be open to those who can afford it?

So you believe Legal Aid would be granted to Rich in order to take the Government to court because he failed to adhere to the conditions under which his benefits are issued to him?

Good luck with that one...

Reply from Asda:

Hi [shaz112],

Thank you for your email to Andy Clarke. As part of Andy's Executive Relations Team, I'm available to respond on his behalf.

I'm writing to confirm we've received your email and are looking into the issues you’ve raised. Once we've completed our enquires, we’ll be back in touch.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards

Olly Bausor, Executive Relations

Asda Contact Centre

A bit more vague than the reply from Argos. I look forward to seeing if I get a reply after they complete their 'investigation'.