Boycott workfare in Sheffield

Free Slaves? Employers are not getting 'Free slaves' when they take on work placements because the placements are all recieving state benefit.

I think it's far better people be made to work for the state benefit (Jobseekers Allowance & Income Support) they recieve, than to be allowed to sit on their backsides all day doing nothing.

It's about time the UK Government made "WORK FOR DOLE" compulary! It's not a fair system that forces 'hard working people' to pay tax to keep some people unemployed.

You just assume that all unemployed are lazy. You just assume that benefit claimants aren't also taxpayers up the point they lose their jobs. The vast majority don't want to be kept, would you? National insurance pays for the benefit and so long as somebody actively seeks work, there should be nothing else required for it to be paid. It is not payment for work, it's living expenses - and barely that. This has nothing to do with combatting fraud and everything to do with kicking people when they're on the floor, and convincing voters to do the same, in order to get another term in government. You're being had.

Much as I am not against the principle of getting people to do some kind of work for their benefits particularly if they are long term unemployed this scheme is just wrong.

Having worked for big companys like Tesco although they would not admit it publicaly there is not a chance in hell that they would not use this scheme to save money on their payroll bill,do people really think they are doing this for any other reason?

I wholeheartedly agree with the concept that people claiming benifits should be forced to work. However giving free labour to large companies such as Tesco, Sainsburys et al. is ill thought out and probably not benifiting anyone.

Labour should be given to charities, smaller businesses and community projects, where it can really make a difference.

That said; gone are the days when not working was an embarrassment to yourself and your family.

I agree. These companies are exploiting enough people and making enough profit without being given free labour by the government. I don't hold the view that many do on this forum however that everyboby on benefits are spongers. People end up on benefits for many different reasons and it doesn't take too long of being on benefits before you can become detatched from the outside world and literally scared to work; not because of the effort but because of the social aspect and a decline in self esteem.

A work progamme would be very beneficial to many, especially if it actually taught them a skill. I had a friend who was long term unemployed and did a work placement in a garden centre; they loved every minuit of it and got a job out of it in the end. There aren't too many people who can say they love their job, especially when they believed that they would never get a job

how many 8 weekers will it take to take hte full time positions?

training doesnt cost anything, our place do a similer thing with agency workers, im forever training em, doesnt cost owt else i just have to juggle what i do

Training does cost something. Someone has to be paid to train the new people. If they can also do their jobs as well as training new staff, then surely without the new staff these people are not required full time

You just assume that all unemployed are lazy. You just assume that benefit claimants aren't also taxpayers up the point they lose their jobs. The vast majority don't want to be kept, would you? National insurance pays for the benefit and so long as somebody actively seeks work, there should be nothing else required for it to be paid. It is not payment for work, it's living expenses - and barely that. This has nothing to do with combatting fraud and everything to do with kicking people when they're on the floor, and convincing voters to do the same, in order to get another term in government. You're being had.

I completely agree with you. Many of the comments about the unemployed on this thread are based on total ignorance and largely made by bitter people who (I suspect) hate their jobs. They would rather slag people off to make them feel that little bit superior rather than change their own situations.

I don't know if you are or unemployed at present but if you are, I really do wish you luck and hope that your situation changes soon.

I've had to survive on benefits in the past and all these myths that exist that you live a life of luxury are absolute c**p and again, based on ignorance.

The only way you can live this supposed luxurious life on benefits is if you have more fiddles going than the London Philharmonic or 10 kids. The vast majority of claimants don't

I completely agree with you. Many of the comments about the unemployed on this thread are based on total ignorance and largely made by bitter people who (I suspect) hate their jobs. They would rather slag people off to make them feel that little bit superior rather than change their own situations.

I don't know if you are or unemployed at present but if you are, I really do wish you luck and hope that your situation changes soon.

I've had to survive on benefits in the past and all these myths that exist that you live a life of luxury are absolute c**p and again, based on ignorance.

The only way you can live this supposed luxurious life on benefits is if you have more fiddles going than the London Philharmonic or 10 kids. The vast majority of claimants don't

Thank you for your kind post. It makes people like me who are unwillingly unemployed feel a tiny bit better after all the abuse from the daily mail readers on this thread.

As for working for your benefits, if this grows, you yourself may find out what its like to pay all your bills on £65 a week.

Do you pay all your bills with £65 though?

What about your rent & council tax paid in full by the local authority - your free dental treatment & eye tests - your free prescriptions - & other concessions that people on benefits receive? Working people have to fork-out for all of these out of their wage.

So, still no answer from anyone lauding this scheme as to why it is a good idea to pay dole money to TWO people - one who doesn't particularly want a job but is forced to take it whilst still being paid benefits, and the other who would love to do that job and be paid by the employer for it, but can't because the employer is happy taking the free labour, so the second person is also claiming benefits.

Stop the workfare, make the employer pay the person who wants to work there and bingo - one less on the dole.

I presume those applauding this ridiculous scheme are wandering about without noses because their face offended them once

Do you pay all your bills with £65 though?

What about your rent & council tax paid in full by the local authority - your free dental treatment & eye tests - your free prescriptions - & other concessions that people on benefits receive? Working people have to fork-out for all of these out of their wage.

and what tax credits do DO YOU GET TO TOP YOUR WAGES OFF

Thank you for your kind post. It makes people like me who are unwillingly unemployed feel a tiny bit better after all the abuse from the daily mail readers on this thread.

Actually if the "best rated" comments are to be believed most daily mail readers don't like it either.

single parent on income support with 3 children (weekly rate):

personal allowance £ 65.00

dependant’s allowance (x3 kids) £ 57.00 x 3

family premium £ 22.00

total £ 258.00 per week

x 52 weeks £ 13,416.00 per year

plus:

council tax (paid by local authority) £ 800.00 (p.a)

rent (paid by local authority) £ 4,680.00 (p.a)

total net equivalent income: £ 18,896.00 per year

plus:

free dental/optical treatment & free prescriptions

and what tax credits do DO YOU GET TO TOP YOUR WAGES OFF

None .......