Royal mail recorded delivery question

I posted a used mobile phone worth about £40 the other day by 1st class recorded delivery but the woman behind the counter said I wasn't covered for loss or damage because mobile phones need to be sent by special delivery.I looked on the royal mail website but all I can find is that you aren't covered sending cash and jewellery by this service.Is she right or is she pulling a fast one?

Found this eBay article on Google which might help.

Recorded deliverys aren't worth the paper the stickers are printed on, it just gets treated like any other piece of mail. The only difference is you have to sign for it at the end, at which point it can be tracked.

Special delivery items are signed for by the individual carrying them every step of the way and are far, far more secure, this is why the insurance covering them is far higher, in short, go for special delivery every time (or use a different courier)

i try not to use royal mail insted use collect plus not the fastest service but they always get my item there and can be tracked every step to