Psalter Lane Bus - your views please

Thanks for your input - it is interesting you say there is low demand because I believe there are still many people who would use the service if it were more reliable and frequent. Would you be willing to discuss this in more detail with me?

Thee are often many people who SAY that they would use a service, but unfortunately, in practice, they don't.

If it's a tendered service, people need to use it, or lose it. SYPTE have less money to support tendered services nowadays due to government cuts in funding.

Guest busdriver1
Thanks for your input - it is interesting you say there is low demand because I believe there are still many people who would use the service if it were more reliable and frequent. Would you be willing to discuss this in more detail with me?

Planner1 has answered my point. The acid test is to go out and ride on the route and look around you. There have been cases where there have been petitions for a service with 1000s of names on it. When the service was introduced 20 people a week used it.

If you want to pm me I am prepared to discuss it further with you.

Guest busdriver1
You mean buses like this X782HLR ?

They look pretty low floor to me...

and hundreds more like them of varying types. Look at the road surface at the junction with Springfield Road and Button Hill (Northbound) and you will see all the marks made by low floor buses grounding out. Hence they dont go that way round now. Southbound is more level so thats the way they go.

Edited by busdriver1

You mean buses like this X782HLR ?

They look pretty low floor to me...

The bus in the picuture is on route 14 not route 4

The problem with tended services is that the voices wanting the service are far more than people who use it , take the woodseats road bridge service for example the numbers on the buses were very few but the people demanding the service were many. This can be repeated with numerous services through out the country .

Edited by bus man

Guest busdriver1

the type was relevant, not the route

Hi

I was interested in this thread because I used to catch the 0711 service 4 from Banner Cross every morning which has now been taken off. There was a group of regulars on this bus mostly going to Sheffield Railway Station. The reliabilty of the service was always variable and you waited on tenter hooks until it came! But we stuck with it! However, if a service is unreliable, clearly people will look for other options if possible. A friend who also used to catch the 0711 from Banner Cross to Sheffield Station for the 0745 train to Manchester became so anxious about the service that she bought an apartment near the station!

Now, there's no bus at all to get to the station for the early morning trains or to the bus station without a considerable walk which I can't do! So I bought a car! And now it is unlikely I would go back to the bus because of the expense of the car. And I always used to carry the flag for public transport and support the protection of the environment. I felt very disappointed and let down by the decision to withdraw the service. I did write to First Mainline and give my comments but I never received a reply.

Its the type of low floor buses that run on the 4 though

and hundreds more like them of varying types. Look at the road surface at the junction with Springfield Road and Button Hill (Northbound) and you will see all the marks made by low floor buses grounding out. Hence they dont go that way round now. Southbound is more level so thats the way they go.

Okay; I thought you were saying that there couldn't be low floor buses on the 4 (there clearly are low floor buses on the 4, but it runs a slightly different route at Millhouses)

The fundamental problem that the 4 has is that most of the people who live on/near the route have frequent bus services a short walk away. For example, there's a bus every couple of minutes along Ecclesall Road, there's a frequent service to Nether Edge (22) and Millhouses (97/98). Why would I wait for an hourly service when I have alternatives? So the only people who use the 4 are those who can't walk far (Pensioners etc).

Now, if I were in town wanting to go to Psalter Lane, would I wait for the hourly service on Arundel Gate or would I wait for a frequent service at the Peace Gardens (22/97/98) or Leopold Street (81/82/83/84/85/88)?

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I'm keen to have individual conversations with people so will be in touch via PM soon. If you live or work on the route and would like to talk to me then please let me know and I'll arrange to come and see you.

Its the type of low floor buses that run on the 4 though

Okay; I thought you were saying that there couldn't be low floor buses on the 4 (there clearly are low floor buses on the 4, but it runs a slightly different route at Millhouses)

The fundamental problem that the 4 has is that most of the people who live on/near the route have frequent bus services a short walk away. For example, there's a bus every couple of minutes along Ecclesall Road, there's a frequent service to Nether Edge (22) and Millhouses (97/98). Why would I wait for an hourly service when I have alternatives? So the only people who use the 4 are those who can't walk far (Pensioners etc).

Now, if I were in town wanting to go to Psalter Lane, would I wait for the hourly service on Arundel Gate or would I wait for a frequent service at the Peace Gardens (22/97/98) or Leopold Street (81/82/83/84/85/88)?

Hi, i take your point about the frequent services because that's what i now use if I'm not walking. But for anyone who has limited mobility, it is unreasonable to ask them to walk from Ecclesall Road up to Psalter Lane especially as it is uphill.

Edit - sorry just realised you made the point about pensioners...but we can't ignore them so need to find a solution

Edited by squidge00
Re-read post and saw point made on pensioners

Hi, i take your point about the frequent services because that's what i now use if I'm not walking. But for anyone who has limited mobility, it is unreasonable to ask them to walk from Ecclesall Road up to Psalter Lane especially as it is uphill.

Edit - sorry just realised you made the point about pensioners...but we can't ignore them so need to find a solution

There are a few similar services in Sheffield (like the 31 to Hillsborough, which covers roads in Upperthorpe/ Lower Walkley that are only a short walk from the Langsett Road services/ Tram/ 95).

The question is whether some type of "demand responsive"/ Dial-A-Ride service would be more appropriate for those unable to make it to/from the main road.

I guess the alternative is to divert some Peak District buses via Psalter Lane (rather than needing a dedicated Psalter Lane service)?

There are a few similar services in Sheffield (like the 31 to Hillsborough, which covers roads in Upperthorpe/ Lower Walkley that are only a short walk from the Langsett Road services/ Tram/ 95).

The question is whether some type of "demand responsive"/ Dial-A-Ride service would be more appropriate for those unable to make it to/from the main road.

I guess the alternative is to divert some Peak District buses via Psalter Lane (rather than needing a dedicated Psalter Lane service)?

Great suggestions - thanks!