Psalter Lane Bus - your views please

Is the number 4 the one High Storrs pupils from Sharrow use to get to school, or is there another for them now?

There used to be a number 4 at about 0815 which used to go up sharrow lane, way, way back when I was at school, but these days, I see a couple of the greenbus vehicles these days, one of which at least is Notre Dame.

my next door neighbour's child goes to High Storrs, but walks through to Eccy Road for one of the Eighties to get to school.

I wonder whether it would be an improvement if the 22 service were to operate in a loop through Nether Edge? Perhaps it could follow the present route to Montgomery Road, then go along Moncrieffe Road to the traffic lights on Sheldon Road before turning right up to the old hospital; follow through to the Psalter Lane traffic lights**, turn right, run down to Sharrow traffic lights, turn left and return to town following the present route? Every alternate bus could operate the other way round the loop ( possibly numbered 22A?). I would suggest that this idea would provide a better service for a good number of people without the need to find any additional resources.

An incidental benefit of such a change would be that, on journeys TO Nether Edge, there would be a new stop nearer the Sheldon Road traffic lights. A lot of elderly people live in the vicinity and lt is quite a walk from the present stop for someone with a walking stick and shopping bags!

** Better: add to your idea an extension up Brocco Bank to RHH [terminus].

Advantage: no need for that part of svc. 10 operated by SCT.

I agree that extending service 22 from its present terminus in Nether Edge to the RHH would mean that that part of service 10 would no longer be needed. But what about the rest of the service 10 route? I wouldn't want to suggest that these people be left without a service.

My suggestion was intended to resolve the problem raised by the OP relating to the poor service in Psalter Lane. If my suggestion were to be implemented I would guess that the proposed new part of the 22 route could be covered without needing any extra vehicles: for the bus company, more potential passengers with no need to provide additional resources (and, therefore, to them an attractive proposition?).

Guest busdriver1
I agree that extending service 22 from its present terminus in Nether Edge to the RHH would mean that that part of service 10 would no longer be needed. But what about the rest of the service 10 route? I wouldn't want to suggest that these people be left without a service.

My suggestion was intended to resolve the problem raised by the OP relating to the poor service in Psalter Lane. If my suggestion were to be implemented I would guess that the proposed new part of the 22 route could be covered without needing any extra vehicles: for the bus company, more potential passengers with no need to provide additional resources (and, therefore, to them an attractive proposition?).

It needs to be presented to them in an understandable way with constructive comments with reasons, benefits and so on laid out. There is a nautural resistance to change something unless a good reason / advantage can be shown. Good luck, but make sure you present it well.

I have moved to Sheffield only a few weeks ago (I life just off Psalter Lane) and the Number 4 bus, which I use to commute to work and back, has already left me stranded twice...:( Although it can be an issue to walk uphill from Ecclesall Rd. when I carry heavy equipment, it might be the only option to get home at a reasonable time. People with mobility problems might not have an option though.

I have moved to Sheffield only a few weeks ago (I life just off Psalter Lane) and the Number 4 bus, which I use to commute to work and back, has already left me stranded twice... Although it can be an issue to walk uphill from Ecclesall Rd. when I carry heavy equipment, it might be the only option to get home at a reasonable time. People with mobility problems might not have an option though.

Yes- but even this derisory service is better than none (which was the earlier likelihood!)

What I have noticed over years is that, when a certain bus route starts to get unreliable people start to commute by other methods. The bus company then see's a reduction in demand and cuts services because people aren't using it as much. If it keeps happening the bus route could be lost altogether. Coming back to surveys I think many people who never use a bus still want it running,"just in case".

Maybe, but you don't seem also to be taking account of:

a. change of operator; or

b. whether the service in question is 'commercial' [= self-financing] or 'contracted' [= subsidised by SYPTE].

Specific examples of non-operation should be reported to Travel South Yorkshire

https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/tellus/

---------- Post added 21-12-2012 at 04:36 ----------

Yes- but even this derisory service is better than none (which was the earlier likelihood!)

Which it may still be if people aren't using the service provided. Where are all those people who campaigned for the number 4 bus? Having won their campaign they should be supporting this bus.

Use it or lose it.