Psalter Lane Bus - your views please

I can manage to walk downhill to the Moor from Psalter Lane (when it's reasonable weather) but carrying shopping from Ecclesall Rd. or up Cemetery Rd.is difficult.

Perhaps 1 or 2 busses at set times down and back would work.

Granma.

All First buses based at Olive Grove (Sheffield) depot are now low floor.

If there's a problem with the 4 then complain to Travel South Yorkshire.

Edited by 2101

Guest busdriver1

I guess the alternative is to divert some Peak District buses via Psalter Lane (rather than needing a dedicated Psalter Lane service)?

That is probably the best solution, may even help the peak district buses by keeping them away from the one stop merchants on Ecclesall road.

Win - Win.

Guest busdriver1
Its the type of low floor buses that run on the 4 though

Okay; I thought you were saying that there couldn't be low floor buses on the 4 (there clearly are low floor buses on the 4, but it runs a slightly different route at Millhouses)

The fundamental problem that the 4 has is that most of the people who live on/near the route have frequent bus services a short walk away. For example, there's a bus every couple of minutes along Ecclesall Road, there's a frequent service to Nether Edge (22) and Millhouses (97/98). Why would I wait for an hourly service when I have alternatives? So the only people who use the 4 are those who can't walk far (Pensioners etc).

Now, if I were in town wanting to go to Psalter Lane, would I wait for the hourly service on Arundel Gate or would I wait for a frequent service at the Peace Gardens (22/97/98) or Leopold Street (81/82/83/84/85/88)?

It was the service 3 that could not be run with LF buses hence all journies now running as 4, sorry if that was not clear. The closure of the college on psalter lane has led to the demise of this route as it was the main source of traffic for them.

I am a regular user of the Number 4 as I live off Psalter Lane and use the service to commute.

I like to start early at work so I do not use the service to get to work as the first bus is not early enough for me.

I do use the service to travel home. Here is what I have noticed. The bus is never full even at peak times. So I understand why the service only operates every hour.

I do notice that the service is used particularly by older users, there are regulars that I see. The service is unreliable however, sometimes 20 minutes or more late or up to 5 minutes early. Both situations are frustrating.

I am relativly fit and can use alterntive services but I have often thought of complaining for the older customers who may not have same options as I and who are impacted more than I whent the bus is late, early or doesn't arrive at all.

I wonder whether it would be an improvement if the 22 service were to operate in a loop through Nether Edge? Perhaps it could follow the present route to Montgomery Road, then go along Moncrieffe Road to the traffic lights on Sheldon Road before turning right up to the old hospital; follow through to the Psalter Lane traffic lights, turn right, run down to Sharrow traffic lights, turn left and return to town following the present route? Every alternate bus could operate the other way round the loop ( possibly numbered 22A?). I would suggest that this idea would provide a better service for a good number of people without the need to find any additional resources.

An incidental benefit of such a change would be that, on journeys TO Nether Edge, there would be a new stop nearer the Sheldon Road traffic lights. A lot of elderly people live in the vicinity and lt is quite a walk from the present stop for someone with a walking stick and shopping bags!

I wonder whether it would be an improvement if the 22 service were to operate in a loop through Nether Edge? ...

That sounds like an excellent idea. How can we get this implemented?

Once i've gathered enough views on the topic (i'm going to leaflet residents on Psalter Lane) I'll write to SYPTE and First to raise the issue with them and put forward your proposals.

Once i've gathered enough views on the topic (i'm going to leaflet residents on Psalter Lane) I'll write to SYPTE and First to raise the issue with them and put forward your proposals.

Just complain to First or SYPTE in a proffesional manner. There's no need to line Sheffield with banners and protest down Psalter Lane for your 4 to run on time!

Is the number 4 the one High Storrs pupils from Sharrow use to get to school, or is there another for them now?

i used to use this service but it is so unreliable,rather walk instead.

Remebr for any complaint to be succesfull you need dates and times that the bus didnt turn up or was late, a bland statement "the bus is unreliable" does not work you need evidance.