Psalter Lane Bus - your views please

Over the past couple of years, the number of buses serving Psalter Lane has dwindled and people are telling me that the No.4 service is often late or doesn't turn up at all.

What are your views on this service? Would you like more buses on this route? I am willing to take this up with SYPTE but need a better idea of what people think because I only have the views of a small group so far.

Thanks

I used to use the bus most days to get to the uni. I was so glad the day i passed my test as the number 4 bus was shocking!!

we could never rely on it so gave up and use the car. And anyway for two of us the allday bus ticket is just too pricey, cheaper to use our motor

I used to use it but as the service reduced, I just resorted to using my legs to get into town. However, for anyone who is less mobile it is a massive problem

I used to use this service, to get from netheredge to Millhouses, which is quicker by this bus route but now as its unreliable and simply just not good enough , I tend to walk to abbeydale road now instead , I wish this bus was more reliable !!

I have to give directions to my business (psalter lane/cemetery road) for people coming from Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley by public transport and i have to advise then to take a taxi from the station. It's frustrating, especially as the Cemetery Road / London Road junction is designated as a bus gate in the morning, then they cancel routes and sit there prosecuting motorists who ignore the morning restriction.

The service has been gradually cut back from svc. 3/4 to svc. 4 and cut back again, now to just one an hour (interworked with svc. 6) and evening/weekend workings were lost by first to TM Travel (Chesterfield). The aim must be to abolish it once all prospective passengers have abandoned it.

Guest busdriver1
The service has been gradually cut back from svc. 3/4 to svc. 4 and cut back again, now to just one an hour (interworked with svc. 6) and evening/weekend workings were lost by first to TM Travel (Chesterfield). The aim must be to abolish it once all prospective passengers have abandoned it.

The service was cut back to reflect the very low demand. The evening and Sunday service was won on tender by TM Travel (Halfway) and the route in the evenings was changed from 4 to 3 to allow the use of low floor buses due to the layout of the junction at Button hill. The route was connected to the 6 to darnall to try and reduce costs and maintain the service in some shape or form. The cost saving measures resulted in it becoming a cross town service. These are notoriously unreliable. Service 4 can not be operated with low floor vehicles, most buses in Sheffield are now low floor so service 4 is history.

A slightly more accurate account.

Service 4 can not be operated with low floor vehicles, most buses in Sheffield are now low floor so service 4 is history.

You mean buses like this X782HLR ?

They look pretty low floor to me...

I have to give directions to my business (psalter lane/cemetery road) for people coming from Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley by public transport and i have to advise then to take a taxi from the station. It's frustrating, especially as the Cemetery Road / London Road junction is designated as a bus gate in the morning, then they cancel routes and sit there prosecuting motorists who ignore the morning restriction.

Thanks for this - would you be willing to talk to me in more detail about this?

The service was cut back to reflect the very low demand. The evening and Sunday service was won on tender by TM Travel (Halfway) and the route in the evenings was changed from 4 to 3 to allow the use of low floor buses due to the layout of the junction at Button hill. The route was connected to the 6 to darnall to try and reduce costs and maintain the service in some shape or form. The cost saving measures resulted in it becoming a cross town service. These are notoriously unreliable. Service 4 can not be operated with low floor vehicles, most buses in Sheffield are now low floor so service 4 is history.

Thanks for your input - it is interesting you say there is low demand because I believe there are still many people who would use the service if it were more reliable and frequent. Would you be willing to discuss this in more detail with me?