Tesco advertising for slaves.

It looks like Tescos are starting to bow to pressure from the public.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/feb/18/tesco-jobless-scheme-work-experience

There are some interesting bits in the article, not the least of which is that the government have said they want to triple the number of people working for free in 2012.

Chris Grayling, employment minister, said in a statement: "Our work experience scheme is voluntary and thanks to companies like Tesco and many others it has provided a route for literally thousands of young people to find their first job." He added: "The idea that providing work experience for unemployed young people is some kind of forced labour is utterly and completely absurd."

Grayling's definition of voluntary must be different than mine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/feb/18/tesco-jobless-scheme-work-experience

There are some interesting bits in the article, not the least of which is that the government have said they want to triple the number of people working for free in 2012.

I wonder if they have asked the young people concerned, and even if they did, would they take any notice?

That is not the same scheme as the mandatory one being managed by A4E,the month long one IS compulsory or you lose your JSA.

but that's part of the job, someone has to do it.

Yeah but why me? With time and training I could've got better at serving the customers.

Yeah but why me? With time and training I could've got better at serving the customers.

Why not you? If you needed time and training just to be able to serve a customer it's understandable that they may start you on something more basic.

The thing which annoys me about these "schemes" is that private companies (Not Tesco etc) but A4E/ CERCO and others FORCE people to do "placements" which are wholly unsuitable for them, but the only thing which matters to them is the revenue they get from the government for being "seen" to do something.

Now... consider this...

1 person - no job = JSA+housing benefit etc

1 person forced onto a "placement" they dont want to be on = £££ for the "provider" (A4E/CERCO etc) - £££ for the "employer" because they pay nothing and on top of that the person still has no job AND is recieving JSA+housing benefit etc and all of it comes out of the taxpayers pocket one way or another.

Also (while I think about it) Why are the government paying private companies extortionate amounts of money to do this "provider service" when they are making civil servants (JC+ staff etc who used to do the same thing) redundant?

All this seems to me to be an exercise in being "seen" to be doing something, whilst at the same time letting private enterprise fleece the national pot even more than the benefit claimants.

Edited by Crosser

The thing which annoys me about these "schemes" is that private companies (Not Tesco etc) but A4E/ CERCO and others FORCE people to do "placements" which are wholly unsuitable for them, but the only thing which matters to them is the revenue they get from the government for being "seen" to do something.

Now... consider this...

1 person - no job = JSA+housing benefit etc

1 person forced onto a "placement" they dont want to be on = £££ for the "provider" (A4E/CERCO etc) - £££ for the "employer" because they pay nothing and on top of that the person still has no job AND is recieving JSA+housing benefit etc and all of it comes out of the taxpayers pocket one way or another.

Also (while I think about it) Why are the government paying private companies extortionate amounts of money to do this "provider service" when they are making civil servants (JC+ staff etc who used to do the same thing) redundant?

All this seems to me to be an exercise in being "seen" to be doing something, whilst at the same time letting private enterprise fleece the national pot even more than the benefit claimants.

Precisely what I've been saying for years, these "schemes" are nothing but a blatant way to "massage" the unemployment stats, thus shutting people who whine about their taxes going to benefit claimants up.

Precisely what I've been saying for years, these "schemes" are nothing but a blatant way to "massage" the unemployment stats, thus shutting people who whine about their taxes going to benefit claimants up.

Look at the picture on this news article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17084634

Would you employ any of these people?

The article states that 1400 people have done the scheme with Tesco, and 300 got jobs. The Right to Work people are kicking up a fuss over that - to me those stats are incredible! 300 people have jobs, and 1100 have experience to which improve their next job application.

Tesco will know whether you are right for the company or not - what time you turn up, appearance, attitude, ability to quickly learn etc. Some of these people will quite simply not be good enough.

Rich - your excuse is lame. You do not swear at work, full stop. Don't blame tagging. Learn from it, but above all don't look for blame, you had an opportunity, it didn't work out.

Edited by go4it

Look at the picture on this news article:

Would you employ any of these people?

The article states that 1400 people have done the scheme with Tesco, and 300 got jobs. The Right to Work people are kicking up a fuss over that - to me those stats are incredible! 300 people have jobs, and 1100 have experience to which improve their next job application.

Tesco will know whether you are right for the company or not - what time you turn up, appearance, attitude, ability to quickly learn etc. Some of these people will quite simply not be good enough.

Rich - your excuse is lame. You do not swear at work, full stop. Don't blame tagging. Learn from it, but above all don't look for blame, you had an opportunity, it didn't work out.

It goes on to state "The Tory government is slashing jobs and then punishing the jobless. And to add insult to injury, they are forcing people to work for free to boost profits for big business."

Whilst I dont care what government is in power & doing this, it's a fact which needs pointing out.

It goes on to state "The Tory government is slashing jobs and then punishing the jobless. And to add insult to injury, they are forcing people to work for free to boost profits for big business."

Whilst I dont care what government is in power & doing this, it's a fact which needs pointing out.

Lets stop with the word 'punishing'.

This scheme creates opportunities. If someone gets a placement, working for free, but makes a massive impact then the store will do what they can to keep them. Why? Because the worker will get to know the customers by name, the customers will ask for them by name, and if the worker is not offered a job and customers start to ask shere s/he is then the store will not be popular! 1100 people did not get jobs - I would imagine that 1100 people are just not up to scratch - late for work, scruffy, turning up for work smelling of booze, not turning up at all etc.

Jobs have to be slashed. The Labour funded 'roller balding coaches' are not needed anymore. This Government is doing what it can to create opportunities. But sadly people are not prepared to earn the job, and still see a job as a divine right. It's absolutely disgusting and will only get worse as we start to see the products of the Labour education system come into force (all those kids who have been on EMA of £30 a week to do an NVQ in personal effectiveness, demanding jobs).

Lets stop with the word 'punishing'.

This scheme creates opportunities. If someone gets a placement, working for free, but makes a massive impact then the store will do what they can to keep them. Why? Because the worker will get to know the customers by name, the customers will ask for them by name, and if the worker is not offered a job and customers start to ask shere s/he is then the store will not be popular! 1100 people did not get jobs - I would imagine that 1100 people are just not up to scratch - late for work, scruffy, turning up for work smelling of booze, not turning up at all etc.

Jobs have to be slashed. The Labour funded 'roller balding coaches' are not needed anymore. This Government is doing what it can to create opportunities. But sadly people are not prepared to earn the job, and still see a job as a divine right. It's absolutely disgusting and will only get worse as we start to see the products of the Labour education system come into force (all those kids who have been on EMA of £30 a week to do an NVQ in personal effectiveness, demanding jobs).

Whilst I agree that any help to get people into employment is fantastic (remember I pay for their JSA etc too because luckily I have a job on a reasonable wage) but, when so many intelligent people are being made unemployed through no fault of their own, it seems to me that they are being doubly punished.

Having said that, I know some people (and not just young people) who are totally unemployable because they are just too dumb to do anything worthwhile. (who's fault that is, is up for debate)

But the bottom line is (see my previous post re: what it costs) I'd rather pay them to be unemployed rather than pay 3 or 4 times (via all the "providers" wages etc) the amount to still see them be non-productive.

It's a no brainer really, pay once or pay 3 or 4 times.

They tried these government schemes years ago they never worked then and will not work now! They actually keep people from being employed! While ever a company get get free labour it will!! In 1981 i was sent to kiveton colliery on a YTS scheme for six months, they told me at the interview i wasnt going to get a permanent job at the end, they would just replace me with another on the scheme. Tescos and the benefits agency are saying that these schemes the government are providing are voluntary. You try telling them that at the job centre when youve been signing on 26 weeks. Something else as well is, its ok people in work scoffing at this situation but no jobs are secure you could find yourself redundant and have to do your job for nothing on one of these schemes!!!!