Making tea and coffee with hot water..

Yeah, yeah I KNOW how the title looks but bear with me a sec, ok, poppets?

My inlaws were visiting the other day and ... theyre old... know what I mean...? They remember Hitler and mammoths and stuff and...

Actually thats not really germaine to the topic but I like having a go at them.

Any road up, I was making a drink and filled the kettle from the hot tap, assuming that if the waters hot to start with, then it`ll boil faster, I can make their drinks faster, they can drink it faster then bugger off home and leave me alone in peace, know what I mean?

So, the father in law (Rigsby) sees me and tells me to empty the kettle, refill it with COLD water and start again.

I asked him why and he said that tea and coffee tastes better with water thats been boiled from cold instead of boiled from hot.

I asked him if he`s had an alzheimers test recently and he laughed, playfully broke my nose and told me to stop asking stupid questions and "Get on with it".

So I pretended to empty the kettle and fill it with cold water, but instead filled it with hot , made the drinks , served them and didnt get any complaints.

After theyd drank it I told them that I had made it with hot instead of cold and THEN they complained that it didnt taste right!

So, my little bogey eaters, what do you think...? ARE drinks different when made from water thats hot or cold to start with? WHY are they different if they are different?

I know some of you utterly hate it when I end a topic starter with the word "Discuss", so

DISCUSS!

heh

Edited by Jabberwocky
Damn typos

Never tried it old bean,but will do after i type this.

Only thing you should worry about now is when you go round theirs for a cuppa.

Just wondering whether they will add milk to your coffee first....or their urine.

Yeah, yeah I KNOW how the title looks but bear with me a sec, ok, poppets?

My inlaws were visiting the other day and ... theyre old... know what I mean...? They remember Hitler and mammoths and stuff and...

Actually thats not really germaine to the topic but I like having a go at them.

Any road up, I was making a drink and filled the kettle from the hot tap, assuming that if the waters hot to start with, then it`ll boil faster, I can make their drinks faster, they can drink it faster then bugger off home and leave me alone in peace, know what I mean?

So, the father in law (Rigsby) sees me and tells me to empty the kettle, refill it with COLD water and start again.

I asked him why and he said that tea and coffee tastes better with water thats been boiled from cold instead of boiled from hot.

I asked him if he`s had an alzheimers test recently and he laughed, playfully, broke my nose and told me to stop asking stupid questions and "Get on with it".

So I pretended to empty the kettle and fill it with cold water, but instead filled it with hot , made the drinks , served them and didnt get any complaints.

After theyd drank it I told them that I had made it with hot instead of cold and THEN they complained that it didnt taste right!

So, my little bogey eaters, what do you think...? ARE drinks different when made from water thats hot or cold to start with? WHY are they different if they are different?

I know some of you utterly hate it when I end a topic starter with the word "Discuss", so

DISCUSS!

heh

What sort of hot water system do you have..if it's not a combi boiler then the hot water could have been brewing (geddit?) for a long time..

I haven't got a combi boiler & drinks do taste bad if I use hot water to boil the kettle :gag:

I was always told never to use water from the hot tap for anything other that washing and never have. Apart from being told its not good for me, I don't remember why, just that my dad always said it and my dad was usually right about these things.

I would never dream of filling the kettle up from the hot water tap :o dosent it come from the cistern and might have been stood for days :gag:......I would never drink cold water from the bathroom tap either, only the kitchen tap

so yeah fully agree with Rigsby :)

You'd better read No3 on this link Jabbers, the brain damage you've acquired might be reversible :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Seriously though when I was young I did the same thing, that is until my Mam pointed out how stale it was from sitting in the boiler.

So in answer to your question I fill the kettle with cold water.

You should have a poll :)

I was going to start a poll but the lead in my brain made the voices tell me not to!

I would never dream of filling the kettle up from the hot water tap :o dosent it come from the cistern and might have been stood for days :gag:......I would never drink cold water from the bathroom tap either, only the kitchen tap

so yeah fully agree with Rigsby :)

Yes shaz I was always told never to drink from the bathroom tap as a child. I always wonder now though if my parents said that when I was small to stop me drinking it for in case I wet the bed. :hihi:

I was always told never to use water from the hot tap for anything other that washing and never have. Apart from being told its not good for me, I don't remember why, just that my dad always said it and my dad was usually right about these things.

In the old days water for the hot tap came from a tank usaually in the loft, so it was not right to drink from.

Now we get our water from combies, which are instant heaters.

Dont try and make tea from them however, as the temperature is far too low.

As Jabbers says, boil it up first.