Old gas lamp lighters

:PCan you remember the old gaslamp lighters with their long poles? For a threepenny bit he would knock on my dads bedroom window to get him up so that he could go fishing.:

we had a lady on treeton st just off shirland lane attercliffe, called mrs bullivant who lit and cleaned the gas lamps. her and her husband jack ex lorry driver then ran the horse and jocky on attercliffe common

You need to go back a long way to find a lamplighter in the true sense. There were still plenty of gas lamps around in the 50's & 60's, but they were operated by a clockwork timer. Once a week some one would come round with a triangular shaped ladder, lean it against one of the arms (they weren't just for kids to use as swings) wind and reset the clock, wipe the glass and any other maintenance needed, but they did not light the lamp every night.

You need to go back a long way to find a lamplighter in the true sense...
Here is a link to a 1933 photo on the picturesheffield.com site showing a "lamplighter and the last of Sheffield hand-lit lamps".

Has anyone ever chucked a snowball at the old "gassies" ?

Elmambo you could possibly be correct she did carry one of them ladders about thanks for input

When I was a kid around Meadow Street I used to follow him round and climb up and turn them off again...:hihi:

:PCan you remember the old gaslamp lighters with their long poles? For a threepenny bit he would knock on my dads bedroom window to get him up so that he could go fishing.:

The one that I remember was a bloke who used to light the lamp on the far side of the bridge on Broadfield Road - across from the baths, on the alleyway that went to Little London Road.

The one that I remember was a bloke who used to light the lamp on the far side of the bridge on Broadfield Road - across from the baths, on the alleyway that went to Little London Road.

What a creepy place that was, we used to walk down there and scare each other to death.

What a creepy place that was, we used to walk down there and scare each other to death.

Skellies bridge used to put the willies up me.

My grandfather was the lamplighter for the Walkley area during the 20s/30s, and up to the end of the war. My mother told me that he sometimes carried his ladder as far as Ringinglow.

Edited by carosio

I think it was the window cleaners that had the pointy ladders.Lamp men had a ladder with two metal hooks on. To hook over the arm on the lamp.