fabcakes

i think this is great news it will stop people

with using the bitch being used as a breeding machine

although it doesn't stop them breeding them & selling the

puppies unregistered i always remember poppy i think it was

the basset that rain got just bread & bread bless her

& all the other dogs that go through a similar fate :confused:

at least we are one step in the right direction to stopping over breeding

it would be great if something could be done with the staffy problem with breeding:confused:

...................................................................................................................

New Litter Limits & Cesareans

In 2010, the Kennel Club announced that it would be reducing the number of litters allowed from any one bitch from six litters to four. This was effective for litters born on or after 1st January 2012. At the same time, the KC has confirmed that it will no longer register any puppies born either by Cesarean section or naturally from any bitch which has previously had two such operations, again effective 01 January 2012.

i think its such a shame and truely awfull that people over breed.... poor dogs something does need to be done and fast and like someone else has already said on here it should be classed as a income.....every rescue i look at they are full of staffies. they are such lively lovely dogs i know of a few that have either been sold on cheap at around 8 months or locked up in the house, never walked and over fed to the extreme, these ones in particular are pretty agressive and not to be trusted they was trying to jump thru a closed window to attack my dog (they had completely lost it) but the owner thought it was funny but the scary thing is shes a child minder of young children. its not their fault but again how they are brought up.....we had a staffy x jack russel rescue years ago and it was completely crazy and couldnt be trusted around kids but was a fantastic dog. so unfortunatly she had to go when we had our lil boy not straight away but when he started to move she growled :( but she went to a farm who knew how crazy she was and had no kids so could give her the best life. and shes still as crazy as ever but very happy, when we got her i wasnt planning any kids thats why it was never a issue that she was crazy, i still think its sad tho that again she got passed around and we gave her up like so many others

I welcome these rules, and am pleased that there is going to be more legislation to protect bitches from being "Bred to death". However, I have misgivings that they aren't going to help the brood bitches owned by the unscrupulous, and puppy farmers, or the feckless who just allow their dogs to get "in pup".

I think it's a good thing, hopefully the rules around caesareans will encourage people to stop breeding those poor breeds that can't even reproduce without medical help much of the time.

Not sure how well it'll stop overbreeding in general though.

Also I think the term 'puppy farm' needs changing, the word puppy obviously brings to mind nice images and 'farm' probably makes people think of a lovely country idyll where dogs run free and happy, not the battery cage concentration camp reality of it.

I welcome these rules, and am pleased that there is going to be more legislation to protect bitches from being "Bred to death". However, I have misgivings that they aren't going to help the brood bitches owned by the unscrupulous, and puppy farmers, or the feckless who just allow their dogs to get "in pup".

i agree totally

when my mum was ill & in hospital before she died

we got June as a very tiny puppy she was only 12 week

at the time & the hospital allowed us to take her in

to see her ( we knew she wasn't going to make it )

we met a couple who boasted about having a basset dog & bitch

& how their bitch had mistakenly got caught at 18 months old

& they had to let her have the litter they soon went when i

put them straight about being able to terminate the pregnancy with

an injection & also how i was surprised that their bitch had got caught

as its notoriously difficult to breed basset hounds :huh: & wondered how

they managed to have them mate without assistance

they didn't talk to me for much longer after that they was definitely in for

the money they was trying to get me & tony to have another basset puppy

even if i wanted one i wouldn't one of them purely for that reason

i have nothing against the breeding of dogs what i disagree with is people

breeding dogs that are we just so overwhelmed with & have trouble rehoming

there is no thought of if the dog is fit enough there is so many unhealthy dogs

used for breeding witch in turn has a knock on effect

it should also be to better the breed not just gain of money

you see no end of people who have bread staffs & they are left with 3/4

& they sell them to anyone who will take them i just can't look at these poor dogs when they are puppies you just know that the majority of them are going to have a life of hell depending who takes them on & its not going to stop unless something is done about it

& to breed your dog after its had one c section is just barbaric but they do

just getting every thing they can out of the bitch they can:(

Edited by fabcakes

but this is only a kennel club rule many breeders dont register ALL their litters and bad breeders have even been known to "amalgamate" 2 small litters of the same breed into 1 litter to register, on one occasion I have known a breeder register a sire of a litter in the name of a dog that had died months before conception because he had a good "pedigree" the paperwork is worth nothing when people do this but the kennel club still take the registrations and take the money and issue paperwork, until all breeders are licensed, registered, inspected and kept under stricter legislation nothing will change, when people are prepared to by a pup without checking up on the breeder just because its cheap then back door breeding will continue, and for the "Showpeople" who use the well I only breed to show as an excuse then shame on you, if you love the breed then stop the fanatical breeding of bad litters just for the money,,, line breeding/inbreeding is wrong not only for the breed but also for the pups you are producing !!!!!!!

but this is only a kennel club rule many breeders dont register ALL their litters and bad breeders have even been known to "amalgamate" 2 small litters of the same breed into 1 litter to register, on one occasion I have known a breeder register a sire of a litter in the name of a dog that had died months before conception because he had a good "pedigree" the paperwork is worth nothing when people do this but the kennel club still take the registrations and take the money and issue paperwork, until all breeders are licensed, registered, inspected and kept under stricter legislation nothing will change, when people are prepared to by a pup without checking up on the breeder just because its cheap then back door breeding will continue, and for the "Showpeople" who use the well I only breed to show as an excuse then shame on you, if you love the breed then stop the fanatical breeding of bad litters just for the money,,, line breeding/inbreeding is wrong not only for the breed but also for the pups you are producing !!!!!!!

i know there is always a way round it but for those

that do check properly it will help

but that's what i was saying its not going to to stop

the backyard breeders

but somethin will happen one day to stop them i do believe that :|

at least this is one step further